4R70 gears in AOD? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

4R70 gears in AOD?

I have seen reference to the 4R70 gears being installed in the AODE but not the AOD. I have recently purchased a low mileage 93 LX 5.0. I would like to keep the 3.08 TracLok but have plans for 300HP. The ability to equal a 3.50 rear thru the trans (in comparison to AOD 2.4 1st gear) and still take advantage of the broad torque curve interests me. I looked for 18 months for this car so have alot of think time into it. This would complete both sides of the curve. Few of us race 1/4 mile on the street! Don't take me wrong, I owned a factory backed 12.14 Duster in the early 70's. If I want brutality I can just go switch with my nephew (5.0 stang-brutal). I learned a more balanced approach and want to apply this to this car. Can I have an AOD built with the wide ratio gears?

Thanks
Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Jedi Master

its been done and someone here use to have that tranny but they don't have the cougar anymore

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Maddmartigan has one like that. I built it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
Maddmartigan has one like that. I built it.
Alan
Was this a one off buildup or do you sell these transmissions? Since I want to keep true highway mode for this car this gear setup would seem to do what I want. I would like to keep the rear gear to 3:27 for a 2000 rpm cruise at 70. Plan is for afr 165 heads, Edelbrock Performer EFI, 1.7 rockers, and the stock cam which I understand is the 93 Cobra. Also JBA shorties and true duals are next up after suspension is all redone. I am looking for 300HP while not screwing the drivability and maybe even tweaking the mileage a little bit.

Thanks for replying,
Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Veteran Poster

The wide ratio upgrade is pretty common anymore.....Ford sells the kit to do it for $650. ALthough, you can somtimes get a better trans for cheaper by just purchasing a good core from a yard.

You will want 1998+ units with the mechanical diode though.

The swap into the AOD is simple as putting the stuff in. I suggest you use the ENTIRE 4R70W gear train - but use the AOD stamped steel forward drum and input shaft, and you have to keep the AOD tailshaft as well due to governor use.

The swap will also net you 2" band, 4 clutch intermediate, stamped steel drums, more clutch capacity, stronger planet and internals, along with the mechanical diode.

If you want to PEICE it together the cheap rout, all you really need for the swap is the 4R70W 38 tooth sun shell, 31 tooth sun gear, planet, ring gear, ring gear hub, dirrect drum, dirrect drum race, #8 and #9 4R bearing and selective pump washer kit.

The #9 has 2 differnt styles - 1 race and 2 race. The thick 4R hub will require the thin bearing and the thin hub needs the thick bearing.

I am sure you could possinly get by with a combo of AOD bearings, but I have not tried - use the slectives to set endplay tight.

I would like to add that your AOD will hold 300 HP quite easy and with 4.10 or deeper gears the AOD gear set is very nice!

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox
The wide ratio upgrade is pretty common anymore.....Ford sells the kit to do it for $650. ALthough, you can somtimes get a better trans for cheaper by just purchasing a good core from a yard.

You will want 1998+ units with the mechanical diode though.

The swap into the AOD is simple as putting the stuff in. I suggest you use the ENTIRE 4R70W gear train - but use the AOD stamped steel forward drum and input shaft, and you have to keep the AOD tailshaft as well due to governor use.

The swap will also net you 2" band, 4 clutch intermediate, stamped steel drums, more clutch capacity, stronger planet and internals, along with the mechanical diode.

If you want to PEICE it together the cheap rout, all you really need for the swap is the 4R70W 38 tooth sun shell, 31 tooth sun gear, planet, ring gear, ring gear hub, dirrect drum, dirrect drum race, #8 and #9 4R bearing and selective pump washer kit.

The #9 has 2 differnt styles - 1 race and 2 race. The thick 4R hub will require the thin bearing and the thin hub needs the thick bearing.

I am sure you could possinly get by with a combo of AOD bearings, but I have not tried - use the slectives to set endplay tight.

I would like to add that your AOD will hold 300 HP quite easy and with 4.10 or deeper gears the AOD gear set is very nice!
Thanks for the detailed response. This guy was recommended to me locally and is a guy here in Florida, not far from my daughter, offering a package that sounds similar. Not big on Ebay but this would give me a good excuse to go bother my daughter and go look at his shop. Sounds like he is putting everything in. Could you take a look for me please?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAM...QQcmdZViewItem

I am looking to offset higher gears as I want this car for the road but I also want to have a fair amount of power in town. My thought is I would have a launch equivilant with 3:70's while runing 3:27's over the stock AOD. I currently have TracLok 3:08's from the factory which would put me in the 3:50 area. Build plans besides the True Duals, JBA's, and K&N fenderwell air supply, include AFR 165 heads and an Edelbrock Performer EFI, and a switch chip from Lonnie so I can run multiple grade fuels. That's it! Not going to be a 1/4 machine. Best combination (50/50) mileage to date is just shy of 25mpg. Excluding the fenderwell K&N (installed while replacing front suspension) This is bone stock thru 3 cats, a resonator and 2 mufflers.

My reasons for building the car as a road car are strong enough to think I won't be wasting my money on the trans ratio change instead of just lower rear gears.

I work at home 75% of the time (foreign exchange trader) and my other business I work out of a truck parked just 6 miles from home. I travel to Miami (300 miles-daughter), Alabama (600 miles-son [for another year-then 120 miles to Central Florida], and soon North Carolina (600 miles - brother [currently 75 miles]) and as I can work from anywhere with Internet access just carrying my laptop and 2nd monitor, I really have a strong need for a road machine. I started planning this car after driving my brothers 5.0 Tbird a couple of years ago (recently semi-retired to father-in-law at 250k). Car is still averaging over 21mpg and runs "very" strong.

With my brother's intimate knowledge of the car and the fact he is ans ASE certified mechanic who is an insurance adjuster for extended automotive, marine, and motorcycle warranty policies, I take his word for it that this can be the last car I buy. Finding it was the tough thing. I must have looked at 50 of them over 18months. Now I want to build to my needs and desires. This club and members like you have really helped me.

Thanks
Brad

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Veteran Poster

I have no proof of thier trans, but I know a guy who ownes one with the 1-2-3/4 vb calibration (AKA - epoxy mod)

From what I heard, they function well. I have talked to them over email a few times as well, and no ill feelings really.

Accept price....they sure are selling cheap - beats my price.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I don't see how you can build a good product at there price but there specs seem to be good.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. I plan to make other mods 1st (unless I burn this one up) so will have time to see if he is still around. I know of 2 other arborists in the Southeast that I feel have similar tree preservation skills as me and they both charge less. Who am I to question what they think they are worth. I get more than enough to keep me happy. I appreciate the input.

Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in