Lost trans after 6mo. Rad?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Lost trans after 6mo. Rad??

The hot weater has caused my coolant temperature gauge to hover around 1/2.
I'm pretty sure 1/3 is normal and 1/3 is also the thermostat tempertature.

Normally it runs at 1/3 unless you are stopped and the fan is not running. Once it reaches 1/2 the fan runs and pulls it back to 1/3. It will continue this cycle until you drive again. Also on the highway, good air flow, it runs at 1/3.

Lately it's been about 1/2 on the highway. Not overheating but high enough to know, it's not normal.

Last week the transmission lost it's front seal. Under warranty it was repaired plus upgrading to gluing in the front seal and increasing the drain back hole behind the front seal.

If the radiator was not properly or efficiently cooling the engine, I suspect it was not sufficiently cooling the transmission either.

With extending the life of the transmission in mind, I've replaced the radiator. It now runs at 1/3 on the highway but I'm concerned with my transmission temperature and considered installing a trans temp gauge.
What is the best placement for the sensor. Pan or pressure line?
And what is the a good transmission temperature?

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6L 15.5 @ 88
94 LHS 3.5L 15.8 @ 88, wife's car
87 Ram 5.9L 15.0 @ 87
69 Super Bee, under construction
65 Plymouth Belvedere 225cid, wife's toy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/755303
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think normal trans temps are supposed to be around 150-160. If you don't already have on, I would get a nice 24K transmission cooler. The trans. will thank you

Also, the "cooler" that you think the 2 lines are running to on your radiator is not really a cooler at all, but more of a heat exchanger. I would run a cooler in-line with that factory exchanger since you live in a cooler climate.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

If you still have the stock 95 trans I wouldn't be blaming the radiator on its failure.

I lost mine with less than 1000 miles on a rebuild.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I opened up a fresh ford remann that was in my wifes car, granted it was working ok and the fluid looked good but the sungear looked like it had been chewed on by a very mean dog.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I did it, I got a little hungry...
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Converter Guy

ASAP! Why would you do such a thing

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

As Soon As Possible=ASAP... idget.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Converter Guy

ASAP,
Should have said "give me a call ASAP"

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Now that I have an XCal 2 and an infared thermometer, I have checked my gauge on the dash. In the 97 it has always ran at half to 3/4, even more so when it is 105+ out.

on my dash 1/2 is 190 degrees. 3/4 is 208-210. I suspect that 210 is fine, it runs good, stays around there, didn't puke its guts on a recent road trip and idling around at 115+ ambient (IAT temp was 124).

As far as tranny temps, I think that you will find that most say that 175 is optimal, 220 is high and starts breaking down fluid and is the reason for 20-30k fluid changes, and 250 will start seals hardening and breaking down.

If you really wanted to be good to your tranny, add an external cooler after the radiator heat exchanger. I don't know where you live, California or someplace North of the border, but I left the radiator in line even though it is aways relatively warm where I live.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
If you really wanted to be good to your tranny, add an external cooler after the radiator heat exchanger.
In a cooler climate, it's best to mount the cooler before the heat exchanger. Dumping too cold fluid back into a hot tranny is no good either. This way will also help with engine cooling.

Eibach 1.5" Lower Springs, Koni Adjustable Shocks, SCP IRS Brace, SCP Lower Engine Cradle Brace, Mark VIII LCAs
Chuck's Poly Motor Mounts, 13" PBR Front and Cobra rear brakes, 245-45-18 ADR Kasai Wheels, RichardM Intake Tube
Super Coupe leather seats and console, Pioneer Head, Audison Amps, Boston SL Components, 10" Boston G5 subs, Reverse Glow EL Gauges, Super Coupe Ground Effects, '96 Hood and Headlights, Custom paint: Tungsten Silver, PI Intake, 4000 stall
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_SilverBird
In a cooler climate, it's best to mount the cooler before the heat exchanger. Dumping too cold fluid back into a hot tranny is no good either. This way will also help with engine cooling.
I don't do that and I don't agree with any part of the reasoning behind that theory. The coolant in the radiator is often OVER 210 degrees. Heck, the low speed fan doesn't come on until 210 degrees on a stock tune. Why would you want to heat the trans fluid back up like that? It doesn't make any sense.
Do not do that.
Darrin

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Make sure the tranny cooler is an LPD (low pressure Drop) or similar and it bypasses the cooler until the fluid reaches a certain temp, and put it after the heat exchanger in the radiator if you keep the fluid running though it.

I am questioning my decision to retain the heat exchanger given my driving style and environment. A cold morning for me is 50 degrees. A hot summer for me is 110 degrees. I don't let my cars warm up, I drive them semi sanely until they come up to temp, but I don't baby them, but I am not questioning at all my putting on a tranny cooler.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
I put on a tranny cooler and my tranny started smoking worse than it was. So for now, I put the lines back into the radiator. I bypassed the radiator altogether. It was a dumb mistake that will be fixed when I find the fitting and lines to do it correctly. Oh, it is very hot here. The temp and humidity are about the same.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

I bypassed my radiator with my cooler. I haven't had any problems. My cooler has a fan on it and trans temp stays around 180. This with a 3200 stall converter and jmod.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in