94 SC, and I'm already in trouble - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

94 SC, and I'm already in trouble

As I announced in the Misc section, I picked up a '94 SC on Monday after waiting for quite some time to find the "right" car. Not so sure if I found the right one or not, at this point.

When we initially expressed interest in the car, my husband test drove it for about 45 minutes. The seller touted a "recently rebuilt transmission", and a "crate engine replaced by the dealer", the latter which we confirmed.

So we were hooked. I took $3500 back to the guy, and we attempted to bring the car home.

About half way to my house, the transmission started slipping. At one point, it downshifted into second so hard that it chirped the tires. I tried turning overdrive off, tried getting on and off the gas, to no avail. The slipping problem only got worse as I continued home.

So a longtime friend of ours is a Ford master technician. I had him run the computer diagnostic test on our car. The car isn't throwing a single code. No check engine light, no flashing OD light................*nothing*.

So I contact the seller and call him out. He tells me to drive the car to the tranny shop, and I do. They call me today to tell me that they believe this is computer related? Seems pretty damned far fetched to me, as the problem worsens the more I drive it, and at this point, the car pretty much hunts from second to third, not even touching first or OD.

I'm not sure where to go from here. What I *do* know is that I can't afford a rebuild, nor am I willing to pay for one after this guy hosed us. Does this sound like it could be the PCM, or is someone trying to make even MORE money off of me? Please advise, because other than this, the car is pristine, and I really need to get it on the road ASAP. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Well I feel like I am repeating myself over and over,but i highly suggest changing the mlps first. Computer problems are possible just not likely. Go to autozone ask them for a neutral safety switch buy it ,install it and disconnect the battery to clear the memory.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
I agree with alan, sounds like an mlps, which is less than a 30 minute job and it doesn't require diassembling the transmission at all, its located on the outside of the transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
Well I feel like I am repeating myself over and over,but i highly suggest changing the mlps first. Computer problems are possible just not likely. Go to autozone ask them for a neutral safety switch buy it ,install it and disconnect the battery to clear the memory.
Alan
Make sure you set the MLPS in there right. Either way, if the trans was recently rebuilt is there some sort of warranty on it?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

According to the shop, the tranny was done 17 months ago............but I guess the seller would define "recently" different than I would.

I think I'm going to try the MLPS first..........cheapest PCM I found was $120. Thanks!

P.S. Would the MLPS thing make the shifts get progressively worse? When this started, at least I could drive the car. Now, it pretty much stays in second gear, although it occassionally hunts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil95GT
P.S. Would the MLPS thing make the shifts get progressively worse? When this started, at least I could drive the car. Now, it pretty much stays in second gear, although it occassionally hunts.
Yes. That's what mine did, and changing the mlps fixed the problem.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutio
Yes. That's what mine did, and changing the mlps fixed the problem.

Excellent. I'm going to try to find one on my own, rather than have the shop locate one. Something tells me they'll want an arm, a leg, and possibly my oldest child.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I'm telling you go to autozone Part number F430. Price $26.47

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
I'm telling you go to autozone Part number F430. Price $26.47
I'm going to hit them up tomorrow as soon as I leave work. Thanks a bunch!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to kermit
soooo, the suspense is killing me. what is up with your SC
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit
soooo, the suspense is killing me. what is up with your SC

The MLPS was replaced on Monday. I got confirmation today that the transmission is missing third gear. I'm disgusted beyond words, but believe we can have it straightened out within a week or two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in