post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Uh oh....new trans wont shift past 2nd : \

Please See Post #6

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod

Last edited by 96_LX; 09-01-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sounds like the MLPS may be bad. Just my .02

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

thanks for the reply, but I think I discovered the problem. Apparently a bunch of shift solenoid wiring harnesses from mexico came with crossed wires, and my shift solenoid 2 is staying on at all times, causing only 1st and 2nd gears. The pan has to be pulled to rewire the solenoid

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod

Last edited by 96_LX; 08-14-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to SplitPortBird
I Hear yah on that one,, at my work we had new wire harness for Card Readers we had to install. had the new guy do it! LOL came into work and he was all done with 150 of them!

wires came from mexico and were crossed and smoked all 150 card readers! not good,, he never checked any of them.

Thats what I get!

sorry for the off topic:

back to your problem,,, I had the same thing happen to my trans after a simple filter change,, turns out the filter hit the circuit board for the shift solenoid and knocked it off just a hair,, removed pan and bought a new board to be positive and all is fine now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Reverse will be harsh. The delay is taken out. Did I send that with a new MLPS or not? I sure hope you didn't use your old MLPS if I didn't. I am not sure about the wiring, but that has happened on more than a few and it was around the time that I built yours.
At this point I would start with the MLPS then move to the wiring. I would say that SS2 isn't powering if you are sure that it is actually starting in first and then going to second. If it were on all the time you would have a different problem. This could also be a pin pushed through on your harness on the car, the wire may have come loose from SS2 or it may just be a bad shift solenoid. It could even be a stuck valve in the valve body.
Whatever it is, we will get it straightened out.
Funktasticlucky is having fits with his transmission too. He has been claiming problems since he installed it though. I honestly don't know what to think about that one. So far all of the problems have not been problems at all, but now I guess its actually doing something weird. I think its about time he brings it to me and if its my fault its on me, but if its due to a problem on the car or improper installation then its on him.
I always take care of my customers if there is a problem that was my fault. Fortunately these have been very, very rare with that damn miswired wiring harness causing almost every problem.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Last edited by Darrin; 08-14-2006 at 10:01 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

All, Please Read

Turns out it wasnt a crossed wiring harness after all. I inspected the wiring inside of the trans and it is identical to my old stock trans. So from there, I switched out the electronics in the valve body (shift solenoids and TCC solenoid), and got the same problem, ruling out all transmission electronics. Using Darrin's advice, I disconnected the transmission wiring altogether and test drove it again. I got the same problem, but I did NOT get a flashing OD light like you should when the trans wiring is disconnected. This leads us to believe that the ECU itself is bad, most likely from a starter wiring short that I am trying to troubleshoot seperately.

Darrin was nice enough to build me a switch box that I could plug into the transmission and use to manually control the shift solenoids to confirm that the transmission is working correctly. I just got back from the test drive, and the trans shifts very nice when manually controlling the solenoids with the switchbox, runs through all gears, and the torque converter is locking up fine as well.

So, the problem lies in either a bad computer, bad transmission wiring, or both. Since I did not get a flashing OD light with the trans disconnected, I believe the computer itself is definately bad. Anyone have a spare computer with the catch code of NPL2???

As a last note, I would like to thank Darrin for helping me to troubleshoot this fiasco, this car has been a nightmare ever since I got it. He went out of his way to get the switch box put together and shipped out in time to get it to me before the weekend. He has been very patient with me, and has been a tremendous help. I just wish he lived in California

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

-MODS-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in