I'd say its time for a new Tranny *PICS* - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

I'd say its time for a new Tranny *PICS*

So i decided to change my tranny fluid tonight, and I would say by looking at the tranny fluid, that I am going to need a new one. It started acting up over the weekend, so I figured it needed a fluid change, but I was not expecting it to be this dirty....i think I may have serious problems. Here are the pics, the first is the old fluid next to fresh fluid so you can fully grasp the difference

I have a couple questions for the tranny experts:

1) when you drain the TC, how do you put fluid back into it???

2) since I know nothing about transmissions, does the fluid that is in the torque converter get pumped in and out, or is it the same fluid in there all the time. I ask because I know that you are supposed to have tranny fluid in the torque converter when you put it in, or you can have serious problems. But if I fill the car with fluid, will it get to the torque converter since there is no way to put it back in without taking it completely out of the car.

I have not put any fluid back into the car, im leaving it drain every drop out over night, plus I was not sure if I should even attempt to put new fluid in it if the problem is extremely serious.

Jmod, Mark VIII 4R70W tranny, Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft, 03 Marauder TC and Flexplate, True Dual Exhaust with High Flow Magnaflow Cats, and midmount DI/DO Magnaflow Muffler, 18" Slash Cut Chrome Tips, AC Compressor Delete Pulley, 180 Degrees T-Stat, Scott White Faced Guages,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
yeah well my car doesn't run on chocolate so who cares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Baby Huey

1.) You have to fill it before you put it in.

2.) It gets pumped through the transmission

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

After I drain the TC, I put in 4 quarts, start it up, let it run for a little while, then add 4 or 5 more, start it up and let it run, then I add 2 or 3 more and then start it up and run it through the gears, check for proper engagement and for leaks, get it off the ramps, and let it warm up then check the level.

I don't know if you will have any luck refilling that with new Mercon V, or if it is on its last legs, I have never really let one go that long or had anything besides a serious problem take out the tranny in one big bang.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

I might try to refill it and see what it does. Its only going to cost me the fluid and a new filter. what is the preferable pan gasket material, rubber or cork??

Jmod, Mark VIII 4R70W tranny, Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft, 03 Marauder TC and Flexplate, True Dual Exhaust with High Flow Magnaflow Cats, and midmount DI/DO Magnaflow Muffler, 18" Slash Cut Chrome Tips, AC Compressor Delete Pulley, 180 Degrees T-Stat, Scott White Faced Guages,

Quote:
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Baby Huey

silicone

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria717
I might try to refill it and see what it does. Its only going to cost me the fluid and a new filter. what is the preferable pan gasket material, rubber or cork??
I'd do that- just fill it and see what happens. I've seen fluid that was a lot worse and the tranny still lived after that!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You should have the reusable rubber coated metal one, don't use the cork one that came with the filter, DON'T DO IT!

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

Nope it was torn last time I replaced it. I got another, and it was torn as well when I dropped the pan this time.

Quote:
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

What exactly do you mean by "acting up"?? You may or may not get lucky w/ the fluid change. My trans. started acting up and when I finally got the fluid out it looked exactly like that, and now I have a nice new trans. sitting on my garage floor waiting to go in.

Here's hoping!

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

Well, when I was cruising on the highway, doing about 60-mph, she would buck every few minutes. Then when I put it in reverse, it would act like it was going to stall, then it would pulse. The RPMs would keep jumping up, and then dropping almost till it would stall, then back up and then almost stall. It would just keep doing it. Then it started doing the same thing in drive. Plus it is starting to get real sluggish in and out of gears.

Edit: it also starting to overheat real bad on the highway, so i dont know if that has something to do with it, maybe the tranny fluid wasn't able to cool down because of how dirty it was. about 2 months ago I took it to get a fluid change, and I dont think they drained the TC, I think the drained 5 quarts out, but put 12 in because it was WAYYYYY over full when I checked it 2 days ago. Thats the only explanation I have for the tranny fluid getting that dirty within 2500 miles. Now, the car has been sitting for a few weeks. But there was tranny fluid leaking out of it all over the place, but I am pretty sure it was coming out of the top of the tranny since it was so over full.

Quote:

Last edited by Euphoria717; 08-16-2006 at 01:04 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
I would take it back to the shop that changed the fluid and see if you can get them to do something about the current fluid problem. . . . .as far as the "acting up" problem. . . . .does it run rough when in Park or Neutral? Does your exhaust smell like it is running rich (gas smell)? When my EEC went out the computer stuck open all the injectors and it just kept dumping fuel in the cylinders. Eventually it started sending fuel out the exhaust. 4 O2 sensors, 8 fuel injectors, plugs, wires and an EEC later it runs like a top! I had the same symptoms you describe plus the added fuel out the exhaust!

Kenneth

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

actually it idles fine, it doesn't do any of that stuff until I put it in gear

Quote:
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 AM

I get a wicked studder sometimes...i've heard that old transmission fluid will break down and cause a studder. Is that why you took it to the shop to begin with? Also, about that shop...i'd take it somewhere else then take the bill to them. If they screwed up that big the first time then they'll just do it agian..
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archael
I get a wicked studder sometimes...i've heard that old transmission fluid will break down and cause a studder. Is that why you took it to the shop to begin with? Also, about that shop...i'd take it somewhere else then take the bill to them. If they screwed up that big the first time then they'll just do it agian..
yes, It had a shudder before I took it in to get the tranny fluid changed. I have it all drained now, so I cant take it anywhere without putting the fluid back in it, so I am going to just hope that it will be ok. I just worry about the fluid getting back into the torque converter since I drained it. I dont want to fire it up with it empty.

Quote:
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
JUst put 4-5 quarts in the transmission and as soon as you start it add immediately. It will be fine.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
JUst put 4-5 quarts in the transmission and as soon as you start it add immediately. It will be fine.
Alan

Thats what Darrin just told me as well......i guess thats why you guys are the pros

Quote:
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:43 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
holy crap! if you need help changnig out the tranny, let me know. i've done it twice now

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

i'll be giving you a call......seriously!

Quote:
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 03:34 AM
2nd Gear Poster

so, lemme see how this goes, you drain the tranny fluid and torque converter fluid, then change the gasket and filter on tranny, then hook everything back up, and add about 5 quarts of Tranny fluid, start the car up, let idle for about 5 minutes, then, turn the car off, add 5 more quarts, start it up for another 5 minutes, turn car off and add about 2 more quarts, start it up again, and go through the gears, then check for leaks. Was my explanation complete?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
No. Add 5 quarts. Start the car. Add 5 more while running. Run the car through the gears gently and let it sit a few minutes idling and start checking the fluid to top it off.

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
It sounds like my AOD. Mine does the same thing except it is a 5.0L and an AOD. Weird!?........................."""""

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
you don't even wanna know what my brothers Bronco Fluid looked like... That stuff looks like its been in there for 50K miles and his C6 is still fine... I know they aren't anything alike But anyway just change the fluid I'm sure you'll be okay. Anytime my mom's tranny starts to shudder we used to just change the fluid and it would stop. So alot can be solved with a fluid change...

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Jiggy Fly

Well, the fluid change did little or nothing for the problem. It still stalls as soon as I put it reverse. I think the torque converter is fried. If you get it going, it will run fine....it shifts a bit sloppy, but no other problems when its moving. As soon as I stop at a light though, and I am just sitting there with my foot on the brake, the RPM's start to fluctuate, gradially getting worse....then there is a rattle coming from the tranny, and gradually the RPM's fluctuate worse and worse until it stalls. I think I am going to buy a new TC. As soon as I can get my damn Mark VIII parts car to my new place, I will Jmod the tranny from the mark and put it in. I am going to run the SOHC motor until she dies, so I can rebuild the DOHC, so when its ready to go in, everything in it will be new.

Quote:
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
don't waste the money... you will buy a new TC just to have the tranny finally crap itself and **** all in the new converter and ruining it. Just wait till the tranny goes out. Or drive it till it craps and put in the mark VIII tranny.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in