Transgo = No go - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Transgo = No go

Got a 01 4R in today with no OD.....history before me is:
Rebuild #1, too high pressure, broke input shaft.
Rebuild #2, 2000 miles, lost OD.

Car 01 stang, 2500 stall, 4.30 gears, UNTUNED.

This is the OD servo durring removal:

The yellow spring is jammed into the lower case and bound up with the servo. It took great guns to release the servo just to remove the snapring, and I had to use a large screwdriver to PRY the servo out due to the bindage...the spring had to be pryed out also.

I have never seen a yellow spring, so this must be a trango part...

...or is it?

The next amusing part is the 1-2 accumulator:

yea....2 blue springs, one large spacer on bottom and one 3/4" spacer on top.

VB, only abrupt noticable thing is whatever the f### this is:

located on the driver front just above the 2/3 accum...anyone enlighten me please?

previous damage due to input shaft breakage I assume:

feel free to comment on what I see here.

I have a reman 01 VB comming to replace this one, as I don't wish to dare it's potential again with my name on it. ALso new drum.

Any tips I need to know before J MODING 01 VB? Never done one this new.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Last edited by SilverFox; 08-28-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox
VB, only abrupt noticable thing is whatever the f### this is:

located on the driver front just above the 2/3 accum...anyone enlighten me please?
I believe that may be Trans-Go's TV pressure blow off valve, but I may be wrong.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Here is a document I used for information for my 2000 Grand Marquis. Since most of the available stuff here stops at 97 (for obvious reasons) this is good info.

http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 PM

Where is the document for truck valvebodies?

80% of the trannies I build are in trucks. I'm scared to put a pre-packaged shift kit in a 4r70w.

There are a few trucks out there with a slight bindup on light throttle 3-4. I'd like to fix that when they need an overhaul, if I knew what to change.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM

Scary..

I hope mine ends up better than that one! I'll find out in t-minus 2 weeks!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 AM

That input shaft breakage could be in the shift timing. The direct clutches might have applied too soon with the band clamped.

Why did they put those junky red clutches in the direct drum? 4.30 gears and no tune? Good luck with that thing shifting right.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Yea....no joke, that is what I told him - however I did drive it before-hand and the shifts were relitively okay.

I might had fibbed a little, it does have a handheld tuner, but it doesn't tune the good stuff.

As for your TRUCK 3-4 bindage, my first theory would be to increase the rate of exhaust of the forward clutch, as that is really your only choice - you wouldn't want to slow the OD band engage. The Jmod files tells you about Fed clutch release drill specs.

As for truck shift kits, if it is a 4R70W in a 4.6L, it is mostly the same and Jmod would work great. However the 4R75W is the one I have been told to leave alone, and right now I don't do enough of them shift kitted to tell you.

only place I know that details them are www.factorytech.com

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 11:11 AM
PostWhore

to the other KC People

Just curious Xminos, what transmission setup do you have?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Xminos, you have AOD.....the Tgo kit for AOD isn't the best, but still far better than thier kit for electronic 4R.

Plus, you know I will take care of you if there is a problem.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Xminos, you have AOD.....the Tgo kit for AOD isn't the best, but still far better than thier kit for electronic 4R.

Plus, you know I will take care of you if there is a problem.
Ofcourse I do, I have nothing but faith in your work fox! I'd recommend it to anyone that needs a ford tranny rebuild

I was just chiming in cuz that is some crazy damage
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Quote:
However the 4R75W is the one I have been told to leave alone
You're sayin the J-mod is not a good idea on a 4R75W?? I thought it was basically the same trans (as a 4R70W) with some hardened internals??
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbird
You're sayin the J-mod is not a good idea on a 4R75W?? I thought it was basically the same trans (as a 4R70W) with some hardened internals??
The discusion has happened here more than once, and the end result is always mixed feelings....until I meet a or talk to a guy that Jmoded a 4R75 and it turned out anything other than great, I will probably stick with FactroyTech.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Now Darrin.....we had this discusion about a month ago about Jmodding the 4R75W and YOU and many others had issues with it......so why is my advice to stay away from it now bogus?

As for using YOUR setup....I appligize for having suggested FT as a source for thier kit, as I did not know you offered any outright purchaseable kits for vb upgrades, so if that steamed you I'm, sorry.

As for my inteligence.....hey, more I know, better I am....I don't take anything personal usually...if you have a better idea or a comment...please provide it...otherwise I'm wasting my time here. I only have my reputation for trans that WORK and WORK well - One bad move and my name might be shot, I build my last trans just like my first...quality #1. I will never say I know it all.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Now Darrin.....we had this discusion about a month ago about Jmodding the 4R75W and YOU and many others had issues with it......so why is my advice to stay away from it now bogus?

As for using YOUR setup....I appligize for having suggested FT as a source for thier kit, as I did not know you offered any outright purchaseable kits for vb upgrades, so if that steamed you I'm, sorry.

As for my inteligence.....hey, more I know, better I am....I don't take anything personal usually...if you have a better idea or a comment...please provide it...otherwise I'm wasting my time here. I only have my reputation for trans that WORK and WORK well - One bad move and my name might be shot, I build my last trans just like my first...quality #1. I will never say I know it all.
What I am going to say is that because I am a responsible person I want to know exactly what I am dealing with to provide my customers only the best top notch product. I have taken the time to learn the thing I am working on. I have bought transmissions just to take completely apart and have bought the reference materials to learn how they operate. I have done many things on my own and made my own changes to see what they do. I learn as much as I can as often as I can. Its my goal to do so and I think any responsible person in the business of performance should do the same regardless of if its transmissions, engines or roller skates. When you reach a certain point you have to take it on yourself to find the answers. If one only rests on the research of others then they are lagging WAY behind.
It really doesn't take anything special to do a rebuild and make it work. That says nothing. I tought a guy that was afraid of transmissions to do good rebuilds in a day. Rebuilds are easy. This isn't rebuild work you are asking about here though, this is modification. To do that, it takes more than assembly skills.
If you want to sell stock rebuild transmissions then you are set I guess. I just know that if I were a customer looking to have a performance transmission built then I would expect the builder to have good knowledge and not need to be asking questions that someone at that level should be ashamed to be asking. If they don't even know what the parts in these transmissions are, what they do and how they operate then they need to go learn that. If someone cannot even identify a stock component to differentiate it from an aftermarket piece then...
And just to be clear, I have never once questioned your intelligence. I don't know you so I have to trust you on that one. But I wonder what it says about a person who has the intelligence to learn something yet chooses not to. Worse yet, if this person wants to take info that anyone with a computer can get and peddle that in their product. Particularly when this person in question is providing a product for customers that has been modified past the level of understanding of your average shop assembler and honestly, most shops in general.
Makes me worry just a little.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Last edited by Darrin; 08-28-2006 at 01:31 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I see I made an accumulator typo, fixed it, and researched the Transgo spring plug....thanks for your help.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in