Need Help and Advice - Issues with TCI R470W - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Need Help and Advice - Issues with TCI R470W

Greetings ! New to this site - referred from Corral for tranny advise. Here's the issue. Had a local speed shop install in a TCI R470W streetfighter unit and new lockup TC to replace my auto in my 97 mustang gt 4.6. After shipping the wrong unit, TCI finally shipped what appeared to be the correct unit. At least it bolted up. All linkage (which required opening the trans andd modifying the valve body) and sensors were swapped over, Now it's in, however, there is no 1st gear, The OD light blinks constantly and the OD button doesn't work at all. I've only driven it a short distance - but the engine cut out twice. Sooo, it's now parked. No one seems to have a clue as to what to do next. I have a very limited knowledge of these units - but I'm going to have to champion the fix since TCI has not been much of a help and the local shop has no clue - please help, any and all advice would be appreciated. Also, can anyone recommend a shop in the Tampa / St. Pete/ Clearwater area that can help me to sort this out ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

No first gear, meaning it starts out in second (and stays in second) or if you select first or D it revs up and you have to manually select second to drive it?

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 AM

The OD light is blinking meaning the computer is mad at the trans. Get the car scanned and that may give you a clue as to where to start.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I would check the wiring. People here have had problems with a newer tranny in an older car and the wiring harness needed to be reconfigured.

Just a thought, good luck!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486
The OD light is blinking meaning the computer is mad at the trans. Get the car scanned and that may give you a clue as to where to start.
The only way that will help is to have someone that is honestly familiar with the transmission that is now in the car scan it. Most shops think that if it isn't working that its broken and want you to have them fix it.
These electronic controlled transmissions like the 4R 70W baffle the vast majority of places out there. The advice and diagnoses that I hear from supposedly reputable shops really scares me.
To provide better advice here we will need more and better info. What exactly is it doing and not doing. You say it has no 1st gear, I assume that means it is starting out in 2nd due to the blinking OD light and the computer forcing limp home mode. This tells me that you possibly have an electrical problem. Something may be disconnected. You may have a wire that got damaged or a pin pulled out of a connector. Or there may be a bad solenoid. A shop that has good capabilities and understanding along with the proper diagnostic tools might be able to help pinpoint which circuit is causing the problem.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

More information: Yes, no first gear means it starts out in 2nd - either while in D or with the shifter pulled down in 1 - no 1-2 shift. Check engine light is on - Checked engine codes " P0750 " "shift solonoid malfunction". Contacted TCI - they said they would get back to me ???

The car is a '97 4.6 GT, I think the trans came from a lincoln town car when we cross matched the serial numbers - although TCI assured me it was from a '97 GT.

I wish I knew more about these - caught in the middle between TCI and the shop - how do I reconfigure the wiring harness ?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Any recommendations on a knowledgeable shop in the Tampa / St. Pete / Clearwater area ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

That is more specifically SS1 solenoid malfunction.

That is an output circuit check, only generated by electrical symptoms.

The rest of what the service cd has for doing the pin point tests for the shift solenoid beyond checking that the tranny harness connector is connected involve connecting a tester up and checking the solenoids requires a break out box.

You can test the shift solenoids with an ohm meter and the wiring and the harness.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Your right - back in the shop to replace the shift sensor and see what happens. Check all wiring connections, etc. Then what would you recommend before we bolt it up yet again ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Stop don't change that solenoid. You need to either change the complete wiring harness and electronics in your transmission or repin the harness to work with what you have. The parts are not bad they are incorrect.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - Haven't changed anything yet. I'll have the shop double check the connector to be sure they have the right one before they pull the pan Monday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in