Royal Purple MAX ATF - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Royal Purple MAX ATF

what are the advantages/disadvantages of switching to royal purple max atf in my 2000 ford mustang gt 4r70w?

Going to change fluid when i do Jmod in a week or two and installing 14,400 B&M cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

can i even use RP max atf? is it merV compatible?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Uh... No.
Just use Mercon V. Its better and cheaper to boot. The best of all worlds.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbird96 Send a message via MSN to thunderbird96 Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbird96
I use royal purple in mine sence 40,000 mile when i bought it.I know have98,000 and no problems and it is compatible with all automatic trannys and fluids.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbird96 Send a message via MSN to thunderbird96 Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbird96
It last's longer than regular fluid and shifts are alot smoother.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
Uh... No.
Just use Mercon V. Its better and cheaper to boot. The best of all worlds.
Darrin
is it better than amsoil synthetic atf?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird96
I use royal purple in mine sence 40,000 mile when i bought it.I know have98,000 and no problems and it is compatible with all automatic trannys and fluids.

did your transmission origionally call for mercon or mercon V?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I will tell you this, If I find anyhting but Mercon V in any 4R70W that I build I immendiately void the warranty.
They want Mercon V. They work best with Mercon V. They last longer with Mercon V. They run cooler with Mercon V. The list goes on and on and on.
Why would you want to spend more to get less? That would be just plain stupid IMHO.
If it aint broke, don't fix it. use what you are supposed to use
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird96
It last's longer than regular fluid and shifts are alot smoother.
I wouldn't use any product for longer than the manufacturer suggested interval. And just an fyi, smooth shifts equal slipping clutches. Slipping clutches equal excess heat. You can use a friction modifier to make the clutches slip like that even on new clutches, but don't do that because its a very bad idea. I am not saying that the clutches are trashed and thats why its slipping, I am saying that the product allows them to slip more to make a smoother shift. Thats bad and will shorten the life of the transmission. A firm quick shift is the best. Smooth is bad.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Someone explain to me why people want to buy high dollar transmission fluid? I think the OE stuff is expensive enough.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 08-29-2006 at 08:01 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 AM

Because it's cool and maybe you'll get a sticker with it? j/k Stick with the Mercon V.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

according to Royal Purple

Royal Purple MAX ATF is perfectly fine to use in place of Mercon V, it contains all of the additives that are used in the production of Mercon V, the only reason that it does not have an official Mercon V rating is because royal purple uses a higher quality base stock which is not the "Ford approved" even though it is higher quality than the base stock specified by ford

this is what i was told on the phone today by a royal purple tech rep

and i was also told something similar in an email from them this afternoon
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Baby Huey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinggt
according to Royal Purple

Royal Purple MAX ATF is perfectly fine to use in place of Mercon V, it contains all of the additives that are used in the production of Mercon V, the only reason that it does not have an official Mercon V rating is because royal purple uses a higher quality base stock which is not the "Ford approved" even though it is higher quality than the base stock specified by ford

this is what i was told on the phone today by a royal purple tech rep

and i was also told something similar in an email from them this afternoon

Seriously listen to Darrin or DirtyDog, They are the Transmission gurus, you asked a question and got an answer. If you want to waste your tranny then go ahead and use your junk.

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Someone explain to me why people want to buy high dollar transmission fluid?
beats me, i complain enough when i have to spend $3 a quart.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:44 PM

Think of it this way sleepinggt, on the one hand you've got Royal Purple whose main occupation is making fluid for every transmission out there on the market. They are telling you it'll work fine, but they don't work with your particular transmission all the time (if at all). On the other hand you've got Darrin and dirtyd0g whose occupations involving working with the very transmission you've got EVERY DAY. They are telling you it's not a good idea to use it. Sure you can use it, but the way it works and gives your tranny smoother shifts and all is bad for your transmission.

So, do you want to pay more for all-purpose tranny fluid that will burn your tranny up and really cost you later, or do you want to use the cheaper fluid that's actually designed for your transmission specifically, doesn't burn the trans by design, is recommended by the trans experts on this board, recommended by Ford Motor Company, and recommended by the very man that engineered your transmission?

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486
So, do you want to pay more for all-purpose tranny fluid that will burn your tranny up and really cost you later, or do you want to use the cheaper fluid that's actually designed for your transmission specifically, doesn't burn the trans by design, is recommended by the trans experts on this board, recommended by Ford Motor Company, and recommended by the very man that engineered your transmission?

well that's one of my biggest questions...everyone says don't use an all-purpose tranny fluid...the one from ford says on the bottle that it's a Mercon/Dex-III/MerconV and that's the one that everyone seems to praise....?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hey, you asked and we answered. You don't like our answer so feel completely free to do whatever you want to do. After all it is your transmission to do with what you want.
I just told you what I know. If you know more than that then thats totally fine with me. Let us know how it works out for you.
I will tell you that I just last week removed a perfectly working original transmission in my 96 that had 238,xxx miles on it. The only reason I took it out was to test a different transmission. That transmission I took out had only Mercon V in it since 1997. I need to take it apart and check it out, but it worked flawlessly and has had a mid level valve body mod for 2 years. I think that says a lot right there.
But again, there should be no argument. You use what you want to and I will use what I want to.
That goes the same for everyone EXCEPT those that have one of my transmissions in their car. You guys need to use only Mercon V if you want a warranty. I don't allow any of that other crap in my transmissions.
Darrin

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
Hey, you asked and we answered. You don't like our answer so feel completely free to do whatever you want to do. After all it is your transmission to do with what you want.
I just told you what I know. If you know more than that then thats totally fine with me. Let us know how it works out for you.
I will tell you that I just last week removed a perfectly working original transmission in my 96 that had 238,xxx miles on it. The only reason I took it out was to test a different transmission. That transmission I took out had only Mercon V in it since 1997. I need to take it apart and check it out, but it worked flawlessly and has had a mid level valve body mod for 2 years. I think that says a lot right there.
But again, there should be no argument. You use what you want to and I will use what I want to.
That goes the same for everyone EXCEPT those that have one of my transmissions in their car. You guys need to use only Mercon V if you want a warranty. I don't allow any of that other crap in my transmissions.
Darrin
I did ask a question but i also want to understand the answer...all i get is "use merc V" repeated over an over and not to use the multi atf's but the one that everyone keeps saying to use is a multi atf...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaster259
Seriously listen to Darrin or DirtyDog, They are the Transmission gurus, you asked a question and got an answer. If you want to waste your tranny then go ahead and use your junk.

I am listening, otherwise i wouldn't be asking additional questions...must you be a sarcastic ***?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Baby Huey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinggt
I am listening, otherwise i wouldn't be asking additional questions...must you be a sarcastic ***?
You ask the questions then argue the answers and we are the Arse's

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaster259
You ask the questions then argue the answers and we are the Arse's

at what point did i argue with anyone? I ask a question, then i posted what royal purple said, can you point out an argument? that's right now **** off **** and i never said darrin/dirtydog were arses, i said YOU were, i'm trying to ask questions and get answers and you're butting in

Last edited by sleepinggt; 08-30-2006 at 06:55 AM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
This thread is useless..click

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well he sent me a PM and he truly has no understanding of how this stuff works. I never, ever said anything about other specs and using a fluid that only has the Mercon V spec. I don't think anyone else did either. I think we just said to only use Mercon V and he didn't understand. He had no idea how the spec system works so I gave him an example and told him that you will not find any Mercon V that isn't good enough to meet the lesser specs of the fluids in its class.
I don't think he was trying to be a jerk, I just think he is very uninformed and didn't know how to ask for what he needed to know and read too much into the words "use only Mercon V"
Darrin

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in