Direct Drive Clutches in AOD - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Direct Drive Clutches in AOD

hey everyone, im just wanting to know how long it last when the direct drive clutches are goin bad, alan told me to drive it till it pukes. but i just want to know how long do they last, there is just a lil play in them, and it only affects overdrive so far, i had my valve body rebuilt becouse it was acting weird, and it came to be that my kickdown valve was really sticky, also got new springs, an overdrive piston, and some other odds and ends, but he said he could hear the direct drive cluthces got some play in them, i just want to know how long i can drive it before i have to really start worrying. i owe money on it still is the reason being, depending on how long, it may be best to trade it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Garage
You have about 3465 miles before they fail.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
dude don't listen to madd martigan. You really have exactly 2422.6 miles before they go out. better start saving up. Its expensive to get the tranny done. Cost me 3500 for the tranny and installation. GL.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:39 PM

I say you've got 51,659,942.4 centimeters left so start counting down.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

well thanks for all the smart *** ansers, and to get it rebuilt, with takin it out and puttin it in, its only 800 for me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Fordtbird5.0
well thanks for all the smart *** ansers, and to get it rebuilt, with takin it out and puttin it in, its only 800 for me.
Well, if you want us to be honest with you, it's like this: You have a twenty year old car. You owe money on it. Those two things alone are bad. You are basically asking if you should try to polish your turd or get rid of it. If you don't have any money I don't think getting rid of it to get some other turd is going to solve anything. I agree with Alan. Just drive it till it won't. In the mean time, just save your money towards a good tranny and prepare for the day it fails.

We can't predict the future or your driving habits.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
M5R2
OMGHI2U

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

well i was just seein if anyone had problems like this with thier aod, i dont drive it hard, once in a while i do but not often, it mainly goes 40 miles of highway and some in town driving every day. i have a pathfinder to beat around in, so this car is not my beater, it is acutally a nice car, it has 104K on it. but im guees in the sticky valve for the kickdown is what killed it. ive owned it for a year already so its not like it hasent lasted. ive been tryin to sell it, but its hard to sell somthing that has stuff wrong with it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Fordtbird5.0
well i was just seein if anyone had problems like this with thier aod, i dont drive it hard, once in a while i do but not often, it mainly goes 40 miles of highway and some in town driving every day. i have a pathfinder to beat around in, so this car is not my beater, it is acutally a nice car, it has 104K on it. but im guees in the sticky valve for the kickdown is what killed it. ive owned it for a year already so its not like it hasent lasted. ive been tryin to sell it, but its hard to sell somthing that has stuff wrong with it.
Well, AOD's have a long history of having various problems. The bottom line is that you need to do a lot of upgrades to make one last a long time which is basically a complete rebuild.

You're having a hard time selling it because it's twenty years old and isn't worth much. Having problems only adds to that.

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
M5R2
OMGHI2U

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Veteran Poster

For the most part, OD is slippy due to OD band, if you notice slipping in 3rd, then your Dirrect clutches are for sure in jeperody.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

it dont slip yet. just hard kickdowns from overdrive to second, when it kicks down to 3rd its fine, but thats when im up in higher speeds, like say if i was slowing down to 45 couse someones goin slow in front of me on the highway, and i pass them, it kicks down to second and theres a loud thunk. ever since i got the valvebody cleaned and stuff, its been shifting better, but ive had to kick up the tv pressure so it does shift. the kickdown valve was sticking before hand. i was just goin to park it till i could figure out what im goin to do with it, but my pathfinder started leakin oil pretty bad, so i have to fix that as well, i set the kickdown to where it shifted smooth into the gears, thats all i can really do becouse i dont have a guage block or pressure gauge, and my trannys probly beyond saving anyway.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

heres another stupid question, since overdirve is the main problem can i drive it in 3rd at highway speeds without worrying about burning anything up, i usally drive 60-65, and i noticed it dont rap up that high, i have 2.73 gears, would it be better to run it in 3rd and go around 60 or just use overdrive, im gettin it rebuilt in a month or so. i just dont want it to blow up before then.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
if you dont want it to blow up thend on't drive it.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 06:59 PM

It is actually 'normal' for an aod to clunk slightly going from 4th to 2nd. Half the stockers I've rebuilt did that slightly when floored from od @ 45 or 50 mph. Thank God aod's don't come in anymore.

I know they bind up but how to fix that problem is elusive unless replacing the converter and overhauling the transmission. Lots of times the converter will have broken damper springs. The springs soften the blow when the 2 input shafts bind for a millisecond.

I didn't want that problem in my aod so I used a non-locking converter. Downshifting from 4th to 2nd still isn't advisable in any aod or 4r70-w transmission. 4th is for part throttle cruise no matter what. If you want to downshift drop it in 3rd first.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

hmm, well this clunk aint a slight clunk i dont think, but slight means different things to different people. the guy that rebuilt my valvebody just said the direct drive clutches have a small amount of play in them, but the kickdown valve has been sticking for idk how long. so it could be fried pretty good anyway. since i just cant sell this car due to the fact that no one wants it. i thought about having the trannsmission rebuilt and beefed up in the next month or two. id like to get a performance valvebody, heavy duty clutches and bands, and a stall converter(i dont know how much stall would be good, any suggestions?) and if anyone knows of any good rebuild kits and converters, and valve bodys let me know, i know alan told me he can get me a good converter for around 300 i think he said, i cant remember for sure might of been more or less. but this car is stock(for now) with 2.73 gears in the rear. any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in