jmods questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
ewc

jmods questions

I've got a 95 t bird. The pan is off so I want to do the Jmod to make the tranny last as long as possible. The car will probably remain stock for ever, so a trans for hi hp is not what I need, just long life. My questions are:

1) This may be a dumb question but if I'm reading the tech articles correctly the seperator plate is where all the holes are drilled not the vb right? Short of modifying the seperator plate, nothing is done to the valve body is it?

2) How firm will the shifts be (compared to stock) If I follow the procedure for "MILD"? Like i said, it's stock and don't really want a real harsh shift firm is OK.

Thanks, eric.

Oh, something else ,anyone have or know where I can get the part number for the shifter shaft seal, the one on the side of the case where the lever goes in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 03:53 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Battery
1.You should only be drilling holes in the seperator plate. NOT the valve body. You should be replacing the 1-2 accumulater and springs with the newer models as well as the 2-3 accumulator and spring. Those are the biggest parts. If you want to be more proactive you can change the o/d servo and spring as well, but it can be a hassle if you don't hold the band correctly.
2.As long as you don't leave out any springs the shift shouldn't be that much more firm than shock. The difference will be noticable but it shouldn't throw you around or anything.
Good Luck

"It's all in the reflexes"
LE RIP
Now 96 Mark VIII
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 AM

read those tech articles at least 2x and take you time so u dont f-up the holes or your going to be shopping for a new seperator plate. ALso your replacing the old 1-2 and 2-3 accum pistons right??

-Matt-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

This would also be a good time to upgrade to the 96+ pan for the deep sump, and if you want a drain plug then get a pan from a truck as they had built-in drain plugs. If you go this route be sure to get the correct filter, as a stock 95 filter will not work w/ the deep pan. Maybe also add a tranny cooler to help keep that thing cool.

And of course, when you re-fill it, use Mercon V in it, not Mercon III.

Did you empty the torque converter of fluid as well?

Post up a request in the Ford Parts Counter forum for that shaft seal you need.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
ewc

thanks for all the tips, and yes I plan on doing evertything mentioned by everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out. Everything is closed for the holiday weekend so it's gonna take a few days to round up parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in