so i changed the trans fluid.. need some advice - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
so i changed the trans fluid.. need some advice

i just picked up a 96 v6 about a week ago. the previous owner had taken it to the dealership and had the system flushed because of a shudder in OD., but they didnt change the filter. So yesterday i droppped the pan and changed the filter, it had to be the original one with 89,000 on it since the bolts were so tight and the heads were rusted. There was lots of black stuff on the magnent and some metal shavings which I think is normal. I didnt drain the entire system because my tc didnt have the drain plug. I then refilled with 5 quarts of Merc 5.

heres my question i am still getting a hard 1-2 shift, which after some searches think i need new 1-2 accum and the springs. Not sure if this is all because i am used to the old AOD (my 4 previous cars), but it will raise about 200 rpms then engages drops down those 200 rpms and the accelerates in second and third gear. I plan on draining the whole system again swapping the accums and a new filter. Do I have a ticking time bomb on my hand or will this thing last for a while? Also does anyone have the PN's for the springs handy or a write up on how to do it.

Thanks

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The tech articles can be accessed through the main page. If you found metal shvings you have a ticking time bomb. You can tell if it had been serviced before by whether it had a "bobber" in the pan.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
no it did not have a bobber in the pan. After a couple times reading the articles I am getting these parts this week

1-2 accumulator F7AZ-7F251-AA
1-2 cover F4AZ-7F247-A
2-3 accumulator F7AZ-7H292-BA

will I also need these parts? not sure what to use for springs there were soo many different colors and preferences listed in the searches i came up with. I just want a mild shift, after all its my daily driver that see's snow in the winter. Don't want the tire ripping shifts like the TCI AOD in my SC.

1-2 top spring F75Z-7F284-AA
1-2 bottom spring F7AZ-7F284-BA
2-3 spring F7AZ-7F285-AA
(these are from the 96mild setting listed in the 101 article)

Any help is appreciated

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in