Forward clutch info. needed - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Forward clutch info. needed

I did the mod for seven clutches. My question is, will only one .070 steel plate at the end be sufficient to support the pressure when forward clutch applies. Also would it be beneficial if i just install 6 clutches and finish off with two steel plates. Another question is what is a good margin for clearance, the instructions specify ..080 for 5 clutch but nothing for an increase in clutches. Should i set it according to ford specs (i think its) .050-.079? not sure.

Tranny is an AOD built with 98 4r70w internals, manual valve body and trans brake, solid input shaft no lockup, 8 direct clutches.

Engine is a sbf stroked 331, Turbo.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Unless you have the ability to do some extensive maching just use the 6 plate method you mentioned. General rule of thumb that I was taught is .005- .010 per friction. You do not want the clutch any tighter than .045 and you will find even after machining the piston you are only going to have .021 with the thinnest snap ring.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

6 clutch it is

Thanks Alan, yea I was a little skeptical on the minimal clearance that was available with a seven plate. With a six plate my clearance is .060 which falls within the specs you stated. Also I feel much safer with two steel plates at the end considering the unit is constantly at maximum pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Veteran Poster

One steel is sufficient, but like Alan said, you need your clearances. If you use ONE steel as your PP, try to get it down to min clearance, as too thin of a snapring leaves little surface area for the steel you use to spline with the drum, and istead might try to spin in the snapring groove...making a big mess.

Using two allows the first steel to take the full brunt of the torque, while the top second just adds extra support and doesn't see any turnning effect of the clutches, less likely to spin in snapring groove.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in