5 or 6 speed that mates to the M VIII DOHC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

5 or 6 speed that mates to the M VIII DOHC

Hello everyone. I apologize to all who may be bothered by my ignorance in this post and all subsequent ones from me that may follow (the more I age the more I realize how much there is to know).

I've joined this group to ask you folks some questions on a hybrid engine and transmission swap that I am planning, as a father son project, in which I am in the midst of acquiring the necessary parts.

I've searched this forum as well as others, and I can't seem to find the answers, or just ran out of patience.

Anyhow, as the title implies, has a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission swap been done on the 4.6 DOHC engine of a Mark VIII? If so, where can I find that information so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? This would help so much, if the knowledge base is available.

Take for grated that, though this is not my true profession, my mechanical abilities as a do-it-yourself'er is decent enough. I have all that I need in my garage from over the years and I have all the time to do it as well.

I am also considering the 3.9/4.0 DOHC Thunderbird/Lincoln/Jag engine as a donor engine with the same intent but I am partial to the 4.6. The victim/vehicle for this hybridized transplant has a RWD with independent F/R suspension. I know that it will be a challenge.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:59 AM

Perhaps knowing exactly what the powertrain is going into might help others answer your question better. If you search around, there are a couple different options for a manual transmission swap. A T-45 from a 96-98 mustang will work on both the SOHC and DOHC 4.6. A T-56 from a mustang will bolt up to the 4.6 but is shorter than the T-56 from a camaro. Like I said knowing what car the powertrain is going into might help others answer your question better.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
this might be a stupid question but humor me, i know to do the swap into a tbird u need to build an extension box for the trannie. would the camaro trannie be close enough to the right lenght to work for our car? if so is it possible to swap over bell housings and the mating parts to make it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Knowing the vehicle this transplant is going into would shed some light on some of my issues I face, but only partially since I am sure that this transplant has never been done. I do understand that measurements will need to be taken either for fitment and/or possible extensions etc for shifter location. There is also engine harness integration involved, which I am assessing. I am getting well informed of all the hurdles. But, there are many reasons why I am not upfront with the vehicle this is going into, and it has more to do with me, and my approach to this project. Trust me it has nothing to do with anyone and their expertise on this forum, or any others for that matter. Just know the vehicle is part of the Ford family but not badged as such. Swap kits are available for a 5.0 L transplant but I am vain for technology, and so that is the reason for the 4.6 DOHC.

Adam, and fellow enthusiasts, all I really want to know is, can a t-45 or t-56 be adapted, bolted and fitted to a DOHC 4.6 from a Mark VIII? If so, is there a kit and/or what parts do I need, what is involved? Does anyone here have these details or is there a site/post you can direct me to. I ask, because I don’t know and I seemed to have read, some time back, that it is not a direct fit due to crank bolt pattern and bellhousing which, as far as I am concerned, could be overcome but at what cost? If it is a direct fit, than great, that issue can be checked off my list and I can focus on resolving all the others. First though I really need to know and answer that detail... that is the first door to my project. Does that make more sense?

Thanks to all that can help.

Mike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/T45/index.html

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thread/site! See, this is what I meant concerning my ignorance. I gather from this posted thread that there are no differences concerning adapting a manual transmission to a 4.6 SOHC from a T-Bird and the 4.6 DOHC from the Mark VIII, is this correct? The parts require for the manual trans swap would be the same; am I getting this right?

Mike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-NaturallyAspirated
Thanks for the thread/site! See, this is what I meant concerning my ignorance. I gather from this posted thread that there are no differences concerning adapting a manual transmission to a 4.6 SOHC from a T-Bird and the 4.6 DOHC from the Mark VIII, is this correct? The parts require for the manual trans swap would be the same; am I getting this right?

Mike
Pretty much, as long as you are using the Mustang transmission.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's freaking hilarious.

Adventures in ChumpCar Racing
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:01 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
[QUOTE=N-NaturallyAspirated]Knowing the vehicle this transplant is going into would shed some light on some of my issues I face, but only partially since I am sure that this transplant has never been done.....

If it is that secrettive and has never been done berofre i would advise telling everyone so we can help. You said your a decent mechanic, okay but that will not get you where you need to be with these cars. The dohc was enough to baffle most for years. The problem with most motors is that the electronics dont play nice with the tbird electronics. No disrespect intended just if your doing something really unique its better to have a huge talent pool thinking with you. By the way its a 3v isn't come on you can tell us.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman1984
If it is that secrettive and has never been done berofre i would advise telling everyone so we can help. You said your a decent mechanic, okay but that will not get you where you need to be with these cars. The dohc was enough to baffle most for years. The problem with most motors is that the electronics dont play nice with the tbird electronics. No disrespect intended just if your doing something really unique its better to have a huge talent pool thinking with you. By the way its a 3v isn't come on you can tell us.

Will
I think we can safely assume he isn't using T-Bird electronics.

Mike, I would also recommend that you try the Factory Five Cobra sites, such as www.ffcobra.com . Those guys have done some mod-motored applications, and should be able to give some good advice.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's freaking hilarious.

Adventures in ChumpCar Racing
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-NaturallyAspirated

Mike
Mike

I have a 95 Tbird LX in which I did the T-45 swap about 7 years ago. The guy that wrote the tech article, Papa John, is a friend of mine & did his after I did mine. His swap & my swap were identical. I have since swapped in a Mark VIII engine so I now have a 5 speed behind a DOHC motor. I have since changed from the internal slave/TO bearing to an external salve with stock Mustang T/O & clutch fork. The parts required are no different whether you are using a SOHC or a DOHC motor (basically the same block). You will have to get the computer re-flashed to delete the auto tranny codes. This is just scratching the surface as to what is required but enough of us have done the swap that there's plenty of information on this site.

Good luck
Jim
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
Bymet
what size slave did you use. I am trying to run a 3/4" with a 1" master and the pedal force is ridiculus. I mean almost to the point the seat will break. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

All right, I'll cave; it's a Bertoné 780. I just love the lines; they are timeless in my view. Indecently, the Cobra has been my passion for many many years to the point of getting a tattoo about it. The FFR is in the balance as well for a build with my son, but it's kind of loud and difficult to drive for any period of time in 100deg+ environment. Lets just say that, for smokey burnouts, the Cobra isn't stealthy enough.
As for my skills, I broke a whole bunch of stuff when I was a kid and now trial and error as well as stubborn persistence is the antidote to my mechanical ignorance...and a very understanding wife that lets me do/spend on pretty much any car project I like so long as it's below 10k at the inception. What is spent afterwards... is easier to conceal. Anyhow, I really appreciate all of your inputs on this thread. I understand that I am going against the grain on this one; it’s just that for me it's an opportunity...for success or stupidity. At any rate, I'll learn something.

Thanks all, and cheers!

Mike
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

That's funny, it was supposed to say "incidentally" but as Freud would say, its a representative slip, "Indecently" is probably much closer to the truth...

I'll try to stay focused next time ;-)

Mike
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:21 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to MarksM
McCleod makes a line of universal bellhousings. They have one to mate a GM T56 to a mod motor.

2007 Buell XB9S
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman1984
Bymet
what size slave did you use. I am trying to run a 3/4" with a 1" master and the pedal force is ridiculus. I mean almost to the point the seat will break. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Will
You've got it backwards. The master needs to be smaller than the slave. I am running a 3/4 master with a 7/8 slave but the slave is external so there is added leverage with the stock Mustang clutch fork. What kind of slave setup are you running? Internal or external? My 1st set up was with a McLeod internal slave. With that setup I used a 5/8 master.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in