Still have driveline vibration problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to KevinM
Still have driveline vibration problems

I have been fighting a driveline vibration ever since I installed a new pumpkin that I bought off Ebay with 3.73 trac loc in it. It is a cast itron pumpkin. I had new u-joints put on the OEM driveshaft and then had it straightened and balance. THat mad eit worse. THen I had the same shop make a new one piece steel shaft with the original ends and it was better, but still gave vibration at highway speeds, finally I broke down and bought a 1 piece aluminum Mark VIII shaft and put the new u-joints on it from the other shaft and I still have a vibration at highway speeds. It is definately better, but still gets real bad at 80+. I am scared to take the car to the dragstrip because I don't want to know what might happen at 100+ mph. I am speculating that because I put new u-joints on the aluminum shaft, that I may just need to get it balanced, but I do not want to go to the same place that already did my stock one becasue they didn't seem to help. So does anyone know of a good place between Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC to take a shaft to be balanced. THe other question is, is there a possibilty that it is somehitng like a halfshaft issue, or an imbalance related to my rear drum brakes. I have not rotated the tires yet to eliminate that, but it just gets constantly worse at highway speeds. Could be something about the pinion angle of the pumpkin, or something internal to the gears? Any recommendations would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,
Kevin M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:38 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
transmission mount or tire sounds most likely since it sounds like you have exhausted the driveshaft as a possibility. . . . .just what I would try next.

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wether
transmission mount or tire sounds most likely since it sounds like you have exhausted the driveshaft as a possibility. . . . .just what I would try next.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

have you tried moving the driveshaft into a different bolt pattern?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
have you tried moving the driveshaft into a different bolt pattern?
Yes I have tried all the bolt patterns that I can and the one I have it in now seems the best. That is one thing that still leans me toward the blanace of the shaft. Is it always necessary to balance a shaft after installing new u-joints?

Thanks,
Kevin M
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
I have never had to balance a shaft after changing u-joints. . .

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM

Try this...

Loosen the bolts on the tranny mount just enough to free it up then take the car out for a spin. When you get back, tighten the mount back up. This will let the tranny and driveshaft "find center alignment" with each other.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJGriggs
Loosen the bolts on the tranny mount just enough to free it up then take the car out for a spin. When you get back, tighten the mount back up. This will let the tranny and driveshaft "find center alignment" with each other.

What speed should I go to with the tranny mount loose? The vibration usually does not occur until somewhere near 80 mph.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:38 PM

I don't know if I would recommend doing 80mph with the mount loose, but just a short cruise getting up to 45mph should do the trick. You basically just want to let the spinning shaft find its "center".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in