About to give up! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

About to give up!

I have been reading posts here for some time now and have tried to fix my transmission by myself and now I need some advice!

I have a 1996 Lincoln Town Car with a 4R70W transmission that is giving me a problem.The car has 65,000 miles on it. When the trans. is cool everything works fine but when it is warm and has been sitting for a few minutes that is when we have a problem. The transmission will shift from first to second just fine and then from second to third and then sometimes it will seam to neutral out for just a few seconds and then back to third and will be fine untill we stop and shut the engine off and then it will repeat the same thing.

I replaced the 1-2 and the 2-3 accumulators just like people here say it should be done, the springs looked fine and so did the bores. While I had the pan off I replaced the shift solenoid, replaced the filter and drained the converter and filled it with AAMCO Mercon V fluid. I have also replaced the MLPS and the TPS.

The transmission still does the same thing but not nearly as often. The only thing that I have not done that is recommended here is to install an external cooler. I do have the cooler, it is a Long Tru- Cool LPD 4739 rated at 40,000 GVW

I have two questions, what do you think might be causing the trans. to still act up a little and should I install the cooler along with the cooler in the radiator or without? We live in Colorado where it does get cold and the car is kept in a garage most of the time.

Thanks
JPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I have another question for you. Have have been told that flashing the pcm might help, dooes anyone think it might? Also I have been told that in some rare cases a bad maf sensor can cause this problem, what do you think?

Before I started any of this work I took it to a mechanic and he put two different scanners on it and drove it untill it acted up and got no codes.

We live in a small town where no one works on transmissions, even the Ford dealers sends theirs out. Do you think I would be better off taking it to a place like AAMCO ,another Ford dealer that can do the work or to a private owned shop? Or would I be better of getting a newer one from a wrecking yard?

Thanks again
JPA
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
It sounds like a scorched OD band to me. Nothing short of taking it apart will fix that.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Alan,

Do you think I would be better of having this one rebuilt and updated or get a newer '98 or '99 from a wrecking yard?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Converter Guy

96 isn't too bad of a year however some internal components like the sun gears and reverse drum need to be replaced.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Not that it really matters, if it has to be done it has to be done, but does anyone have any idea what it might cost to totally rebuld this transmission?

JPA
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Converter Guy

That transmission with the proper updates installed with a new stock replacement converter,fluid,new mlps,new epc, 98 up style frictions. I would expect around $1500 but make sure the place doing it for you actually does those updates.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=dirtyd0g]That transmission with the proper updates installed with a new stock replacement converter,fluid,new mlps,new epc, 98 up style frictions. I would expect around $1500 but make sure the place doing it for you actually does those updates.
Alan

Alan,

I'm sure if it was yours you would do it yourself but who would you recommend taking it to AAMCO a Lincoln Dealer or a well respected private shop?

Also, since it seams to be fine one it gets going do you think it would be safe driving it 65 highway miles to the nearest town that can do this or should we put it on a flatbed?

JPA
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Converter Guy

I suggest a well respected private shop, The dealer will probably charge you about $1000 more than that for a completely stock setup, the same goes for aamco. Whatever the cost you are better off getting it done right than pieced together.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Alan,

I spoke with three different shops today. They all said without the vehicle there it would be hard to give a price, which I knew that.

AAMCO said that if it had to be rebuilt it would run between $1,400.00 and $1,800.00

One private shop that has been in business for over 25 years said worst case scenario would be $1,300.00

The other place which is closer to home said the he really does not like to repair anything if it is acting up like this. He wants to rebuild it period. He said between $1,800.00 and $2,400.00

How do these figures sound to you.

I don't know if it really matters but AAMCO's warranty would be nation wide.

JPA
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Who is John Galt?

I'd suggest talking to dirtyd0g or Darrin about a rebuild or new transmission.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=cougar_guy04]I'd suggest talking to dirtyd0g or Darrin about a rebuild or new transmission.

That would be great, but how would I get it out here to Colorado?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Who is John Galt?

Same way Litning got his DD transmission to New Hampshire . . . a freight company.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

I found a transmission out of a '97 Crown Victoria that had 37,000 miles on it and they want $450.00 for it. What would you think about going that way?

JPA
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Converter Guy

97 trans

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I did find a couple a '98 trans. fairly close but I do not know what the differences mean on their descriptions. One says AT.,ID F8VP-AA and CA the other one says AT.,ID F8VP-BA.

But then again those would be used. I could either get one rebuilt here or get one from someone here on this board that could build a very good transmission.

JPA
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i think for what it will be used for (a lincoln town car, not racing and beating the crap out of it) that 97 tranny would be fine. is it the best option, no but if you put a tranny cooler on it when you install it it should last a good long time.

Last edited by FordFanatic; 10-10-2006 at 09:33 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Converter Guy

I would want at the minimum a 98+ transmission. For a stock replacement the only thing that will fit correctly is a police crown vic because the town car has the long tailhousing.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in