Trans. Problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
Question Trans. Problems

Did a search and came up with nothing so here it goes....

About a month ago my transmission started making a noise about 30 MPH and then it quit making it after a few days. Well it did it again today and it feels like the tranny was slipping a little bit. Driving back to my house it was stuck on about 3800 RPM's (at 45 MPH) for 1/2-3/4 mile or so. I let off the gas pedal and it stayed at 3800 RPM and stayed the same when I pressed it to the floor....never moved at all. What is wrong with it do you all think?

Incase you were wondering all the other gauges are working perfectly when this happened. I need to get an idea of what is wrong so it can be fixed as this is my daily driver.

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_Cougar
Did a search and came up with nothing so here it goes....

About a month ago my transmission started making a noise about 30 MPH and then it quit making it after a few days. Well it did it again today and it feels like the tranny was slipping a little bit. Driving back to my house it was stuck on about 3800 RPM's (at 45 MPH) for 1/2-3/4 mile or so. I let off the gas pedal and it stayed at 3800 RPM and stayed the same when I pressed it to the floor....never moved at all. What is wrong with it do you all think?

Incase you were wondering all the other gauges are working perfectly when this happened. I need to get an idea of what is wrong so it can be fixed as this is my daily driver.
Man, I have no idea from the limited info there. Thats just weird.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Street Freekz

Thanks for trying Darrin

Tranny was slipping worse last night and even worse this morning. Hate to say but I think its going to go out on me soon

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Who is John Galt?

Perfect excuse to upgrade

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Thanks for trying Darrin

Tranny was slipping worse last night and even worse this morning. Hate to say but I think its going to go out on me soon
I can remedy that.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Street Freekz

Tranny died last night at my friend's house....made an awful sound then quit. Guess I better check into one...just thought I should update everyone

In Memory of FD 420

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Call me.
My contact info is in the bc-automotive link at the bottom of my sig

Darrin

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to mybird_91
Quote:
Tranny died last night at my friend's house....made an awful sound then quit. Guess I better check into one...just thought I should update everyone
thats a shame man!!!! hurry up and get it fixed, that cat is too pretty to let sit!!

1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
LT1 350
K&N Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust
1995 Lincoln Mark VIII
hollow front cats, 3rd cat still there, no resonator, replaced by a single 40 series flowmaster, 2 3"x18" tips out back. screamin demon coil packs, mallory pro wires, motorcraft platinum plugs. intake resonator delete.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Street Freekz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybird_91
thats a shame man!!!! hurry up and get it fixed, that cat is too pretty to let sit!!

My mechanic said he'd give it a good going over & he's had it since about 11:00 AM yesterday. Hopefully, I'll have it back and fixed today. I can never win....everytime I have money something always comes up I'll let you know what he says it is...

Darrin: if he can't figure it out soon then I will give you a call. Thanks....

In Memory of FD 420

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Street Freekz

Its finally fixed. Somehow most of my transmission fluid leaked out since I checked it at the beginning of October. Got a rebuilt tranny (with 28K) and installed since the old one was too messed up. It helps having someone in the family that is a mechanic.

Thanks for offering the help Darrin. If anything comes up again you will be getting a call.

In Memory of FD 420

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to mybird_91
thats good to hear.......i can always tell when i'm getting low (slips a little at about 1.5 quarts low) thats when i drive to autozone and top her off. i've fixed 1 of the trans cooler lines, just gotta find time to fix the other one.

1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
LT1 350
K&N Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust
1995 Lincoln Mark VIII
hollow front cats, 3rd cat still there, no resonator, replaced by a single 40 series flowmaster, 2 3"x18" tips out back. screamin demon coil packs, mallory pro wires, motorcraft platinum plugs. intake resonator delete.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Street Freekz

Yep, glad to have the Cat back on the road.

In Memory of FD 420

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in