What trans mods do I need? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to zyphill
What trans mods do I need?

OK, I'm not really up on trannies yet. But, here is what i'm wanting to do. I have a 91 Cougar. I am planning a SC swap. I do plan on upgrading the SC engine to about 350hp. I want to stay automatic. Obviously, the car has an AOD. What mods do I need to make to the tranny. I want quick shifts, but I do want it to last. The car will not be my main means of transportation, but I do want it to be capable of daily driving. It will be a street car, not track. Any advise would be wonderful. I will be doing the swap within the next year. Now is the time for research before I get into a pinch in the middle of the project. Mainly, I need to know what converter, vb, trans rebuild, and gears. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I suggest a lentech valvebody for the aod. I also suggest using a 2 inch wide band and supercoupe od servo. I could ramble for a while about the parts you want to use but I have to ask do you have the ability to actually build the transmission? It's kind of worthless for me to go through explanation when it's doubtful that someone who doesn't know what to do to the transmission can actually do it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to zyphill
Never built a tranny

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I have never dug any deeper into a trans other than installing a shift kit. I would love to learn how to do it. But, for the time being, I will probably have it done for me. I've read a lot about Darrin and yourself on here. And, both of you seem like the people that I need to ask about the setup that I want. I guess I need to get a ballpark figure as too what it would cost to upgrade the AOD. Or which aftermarket trans would be best. As I mentioned earlier, I'm in the planning stages right now. I want to get all my ducks in a row before I really start digging into the car. So, any information that you have is greatly appreciated. I love working on cars, I know a lot, but I can always learn more. How hard is it to upgrade the AOD? And, would this be something that I could easily learn? If it is, I would love to do it myself, but I would probably need to have someone else do it. The trick is, having someone do the work and teach how to do it as well. Thank you for the reply. I have a lot of work ahead of me on this project, and honestly I can't wait. Just have to get green to back my wants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Veteran Poster

For $1k, you can easily build an AOD that will handle that much power x2 if you know what you are doing.

Actually if you use a 1 piece input shaft with matching converter. Late model parts for the mechanical diode and other parts to add the 4 plate intermediate with a good valvebody $1000 will not cover the parts. I have put $1800 in parts in one using an Art Carr valvebody. Add about $400 to use a lentech.
Alan

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 10-31-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in