Transmission problems (shudders and leaks) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to frankjc
Transmission problems (shudders and leaks)

I have been having transmission problems lately. It makes that "railroad tracks" noise when driving in the 35 mph zone, with the rpm's about 1k. When this happens, I give a little more gas, and it goes away. Other than that, the transmission seems to work fine. It has new fluid, and filter, as well as some Lucas transmisson additive. Is this the shudder that I hear so much about?

The other thing is the leak. There is a drip of fluid where the plug is that covers the T C drain plug. If I pull the cover and look in, the TC is dry. At first I thought it was the front pump seal leaking. I did speak to a transmission guy, I asked him how much to replace the front pump seal, and he asked what made me think it was the seal. I described the symptoms to him, and he mentioned something else that would be leaking, not the front pump seal....maybe something about a shaft that weras out and leaks? I can't remember what he said it was, but he said he usually gets $1200 for the job. I don't think he was trying to rip me off...I sell parts to this guy, and I think I can trust him. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I don't know anything about transmissions, unfortunately.

I am thinking now that I need to find a good used transmission, because I don't have $1200 to spend on repairs.

Drive it like you stole it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yup, sounds like you have the infamous TC shudder. kinda feel like a rumble strip on the highway.

You say it has new fluid, but what type is the new fluid? Mercon III or V?

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
The leak sounds like it may be coming out of the front of the pan. . . .Mine did this when I apparently didn't quite tighten the bolts up enough after a filter change. I turned each of the middle 3 bolts on the front of the pan about 1/2 turn and no more leaking.

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Did you drain the torque convertor when you replaced the fluid? If you rest your foot on the brake does the shudder go away also? Sounds like it is shudder but that is the same range my 2000 Grand Marquis felt like it had a shudder and it turned out to be worn out spark plugs, and a misfire in the engine instead. I don't have a tach in that car, but could feel the RPMs go up when I put in the brake (unlocking) and the shudder for me didn't go away, but it did if I gave it a little gas to unlock the TC.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I used mercon, not mercon v. The fluid in the car was reasonably clean, I know for a fact that this car has had frequent transmission fluid changes throughout it's life.
I did not drain the TC.
I think it does go away if i touch the brake. It does not do it if I shut the o/d off. (I think).
I am sure it's not the pan leaking, it is coming from inside the bellhousing.
I have been looking for a transmission, but money is tight these days, especially with the holiday season approaching.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You may be able to help it out if it's not too far gone by draining ALL the fluid from the system, including the TC, and refilling w/ Mercon V. Add a trans. cooler while you're at it to keep temps down. These things don't like a lot of heat and the 95 trans. is known to chew itself up regularly.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
What's up with this TC shudder problem? Where do I find info on it? Does it happen to all types of trannies or just yalls?

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad93bird
What's up with this TC shudder problem? Where do I find info on it? Does it happen to all types of trannies or just yalls?

It happens to 4r70w's and aode transmissions. If it happens in an aod you have major problems.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 AM

Hey all, i had the shudder. replaced the fluid with mercon V, and added a tranny cooler. It went away for about 15000 miles, and now it's back. I just changed the fluid again with fresh MerV, (drained it all out. No friction material, or specs of metal. looked good inside. The shudder is still there. Any ideas?? the car does have the upgraded cal as I just replaced the ECM a few months ago.

Joe
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
If the converter clutch is toast no amount of fluid changes or additive can fix it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, I'm no expert like Alan or Darrin, but when my 95 started to shift wierd and I had ruled out the MLPS and all other causes, it finally threw an OD light and it seems that I am burning up the clutches as a fluid change did not bring it back. So now I have a nice 01 trans. laying on my garage floor waiting to go in.

As far as the vibration around 70-80mph, I would check the tires for balance before even thinking it's related. And also check for worn suspension parts.

Jay

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 AM

My 94 did the same thing. You HAVE to put Mercon V in them. I just dropped the pan, put a new filter in, and topped it back off with Mercon V. No shudder whatsoever after 15 minutes of driving. I just changed it again yesterday, because I felt like it. I knew that it still had a lot of old, burnt fluid in it, and I had meant to put some Lucas in it. I have a long drive today, and I'm a believer in Lucas products, so that should get the Lucas through the tranny real good.

But, you really HAVE to put Mercon V in it, that will fix it if it isn't too late. Mine was shuddering bad, too, but is 100% gone with Mercon V.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I thought I read that you have to put in ALL Mercon V.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
I geuss I have severe problems. It still works. Since I tightened up the back part of the housing, it stopped leaking. Still jerks and stuff.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in