Major trans problem....PLEASE HELP - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Major trans problem....PLEASE HELP

my 91 5.0 cougar has been hunting between 3rd and 4th for a couple weeks now but nothing to big a deal i planned on flushing it this weekend and adding lucas as a temporary solution until i go for the t5 swap

anyways i drove it for about twenty minutes, parked it for two minutes and when i went to put it in drive it wouldnt engage, reverse kicks right in but i have to let on the gas for drive to kick in. also it is hesitating shifts and revs between shifts. when you floor it it doesnt slip and engages good. i checked the trans fluid and it smelled alright but the fluid went up about 6-8inches on the dipstick, way past the good mark and it was done running warm.

what do you think it can be? any suggestions? im 18 going to school and work fulltime and i need a solution quick, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:07 AM

TV Linkage

Check to make sure the Throttle Valve (TV) linkage is still connected at the throttlebody. This is the cable that connects the tranny (AOD) to the throttle and controls the automatic shifting. Hopefully it has come loose and the TV spring on the valvebody is at full pressure. Don't drive anywhere until you check the TV connection. If the plastic grommet that holds the TV cable connector on the throttle linkage broke apart, you can push the "pin" back through the hole on the throttle lever and secure it with a wire-tie (or whatever will hold it in place and still allow it to move freely with the lever) until you get a replacement. (This is a temporary fix at best.) Ford should have a brass grommet and clip at their parts counter, or most autoparts stores have the plastic throttle grommets in the "HELP" section.

If your lucky you didn't trash the tranny, but there are no guarantees... Even if this corrects the problem a flush and fill is a good idea...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in