Question about Mustang Tranny - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Question about Mustang Tranny

I found a 89 Mustang 5.0 AOD for sale for $150. I was wondering if it would fit/work on a 91 cougar 3.8? My plan is to eventually swap the 3.8 out for the 5.0 that I have in my 87 Lincoln Towncar. I know this has to of been done, my question is what would I need? The Lincoln has MPFI so what would I need to make it work? I know I would have to change the engine mounts, possibly the engine computer from a mustang or maybe even the TC's work work, other than having a good transmission to bolt up to it, what else would I need?

Heres the situation just to fill you guys in a little:

I bought a 91 Mercury Cougar for way too much money thinking I was getting a good deal at $600. This car must have had the hell beat out of it for what I found wrong with it. First I think the main bearings are going in the engine, and the transmission I know is going out due to the fact that it slips going into OD and it has dark fluid (Brown). I have a 87 Lincoln Towncar that has a VERY strong engine and good trans. The problem is I never got the title to the Lincoln, so I want to pull as many parts I can use off of it and use them in the Cougar. I know for a fact that the transmission won't work because of it being a little longer than a standard AOD, so what will I have to do to get the 5.0 to work in the cougar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Man, you need to do a search on this.
The transmission will easily work in your car. The engine is another story.
But long story short, you need a 5.0 parts car that is either a bird or Cougar to do this easily. You will be rewiring the whole car. You will be changing a lot of stuff. Its been talked about a lot. Many people have started this. Few have completed it.
If you need to ask what to do then you won't make it. Trust me.
Find another car if you want a v8

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:02 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
The 3.8 and 5.0 share the same bell housing bolt pattern. I don't know about the TC, so maybe wait on DirtyD0g or Darrin to answer that one.

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Hmm...so the mustang tranny will work..cool. I guess just find a good 3.8 and replace the one in my car. It has main bearings that are going and the transmission is pretty close to being gone, so I wanted to know if one would work. That's good news for me. I can get a complete 3.8 with good trans with around 80k on them for $450. Does this sound like a good deal? The car was wrecked so I am assuming that the motor and trans would be okay. I just want to make this car useable for a few years, not a few weeks. Thanks for your insight.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 PM
4th Gear Poster

Hello welcome. yea thats a good price on the motor and tranny but where are you buying it from?

Kevin

94 t-bird parting out in the classifieds

Selling a Panasonic cd player 40x4 with 1 set of preouts
and a Yamaha warrior front fender- yellow Classified as SPEED DEMON! Mutha
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

after doing a 5.0 conversion in one of these cars, listen to whats said above, you NEED a 5.0 donor car , even if you dont use the engine/trans, you can use your town cars engine and trans, BUT you need all the wiring, ecu fuel pump , exhasut manifolds, ypipe, intake , cam, heads, throttle cables, ps lines ac lines ,brackets , motor mounts , distributor, exhaust, the one missign exhaust hanger in the back,
unless your ready to down this thing for a while to find all said parts

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

The 3.8 engine/tranny I found on craigslist. So would it just be worth replacing
the trans and then replace/repair the 3.8 with the same engine rather than swapping out a 5.0? I just know the 5.0 is a better engine and I don't know JACK about the 3.8. I know they like HGs, how hard would it be to replace the main bearings? Its got new heads on it and otherwise runs great. Good power, decent amount of pickup for a 6, but that noise it bugging the hell out of me. It only does it at higher RPMs so I am assuming someone ran the engine too hard. Thanks for the advice.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

How about a splitport 3.8 swap?

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
First of all, the 5.0 in that towncar only make about 10hp more than the 3.8 in your cougar. That is the standard output 5.0. It really isn't worth the time or effort to swap in that motor. To me it sounds like your best bet would be to get a complete splitport 3.8 motor and swap that in. I believe they came in all 99+ V6 mustangs. That way you would get more power than going with the lincoln 5.0, and you won't have to deal with the nightmare that is converting from a 3.8 to a 5.0. Only thing that would be an issue for the splitport swap would be that since the mustang uses a DIS system, you would have to either get a different intake which would clear your distributer (read truck/van intake) which would require a raised hood, or you would need to convert to DIS. Either way, a lot easier than the 5.0 swap.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

How hard is it to convert over to the DIS system? Personally, I would rather not have the dist if its an easy swap. What I think happened is they blew the head gaskets and replaced the heads with new ones, in turn damaging the lower end. So the 5.0 wouldn't be all that great. Does anyone have a link on the splitport swap? Kind of curious on this one now, but wondering how much it would run. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in