Help with ID of Transmission - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Help with ID of Transmission

I was looking to ID what type of transmission i have in my t-bird. I bought it with 5K on a fresh rebuild of a police interceptor crownvic tranny. My speedo is off and the cruise control doesnt work. im sure the cruise control is due to vacumn differences but id like to order a shift kit and get the correct speedo gear. I didnt know if there was a place where the id number is stamped on these transmissions which i can decode which year it came from. Thanks ~Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

on the side of my transmission i have a cast number of RF-F2VP-7006-AP. Not sure if that helps, i cant pull anything up from it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Can't help on the no cruise issue, but the best "shift kit" for that trans. is the J-mod. There is no magic "kit-in-a-box" for these transmissions like the AOD. Check out the tech article on the main page for Shifty Business and have at it. It's not as hard as you think and your trans will thank you. Also add a cooler while you're at it.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. Im sure as soon as i actually found the model i would have gone crazy looking for a shift kit. I talked to the previous owner and he said it was either from a 93 or 97 police interceptor. Thats a pretty wide range. Anyone know any differences between the two?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
There is nothing special about a police interceptor transmission except that they have a long tailhousing and will not work in our cars. The guy was either misinformed or lied to you.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm pretty sure that the 93-94 CV's still had the AOD. Could be wrong though. If this is indeed true, then the trans. you have came from a 97, which would indeed have the 4R70W that your car had from stock.

The early 4R had serious issues w/ the TC and the roller clutch. The 94/95 T-bird trans. is known to have these issues as well, and nothing short of switching to Mercon V fluid and adding a cooler will help save it from what I've seen, and even then it's iffy.

The 97's got an updated design of the roller and while it was vastly improved over the early 94/95 design, it has still been proven inferior to the one-way mechanical diode that is in the 99+ transmissions. This is the reason that most people here swap to the newer style trans. when their's finally dies. IMO, it's not worth modding a stock early trans. in hopes of it ever holding any power other than stock.

I'm sure there have been freak occurances of people making their older trans. last at above stock HP, but I'd be willing to be that there is more that have had the stock trans. die behind the stock motor, me included, lol...

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

the stock transmission in this bird was blown 2 times. that was when he pulled the tranny out of a cop car he bought from a auction. he had the shaft cut/balanced and the OD switch and cruise control were disconnected. also the speedo was never corrected. Then the crown vic tranny was blown and rebuilt. now this tranny has 5K on it and i bought it off the kids for short change so i can have a reliable car. It has basically been a burnout machine its whole life.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Converter Guy

Still there is nothing special about a "cop car" transmission The only difference they ever had was that the tunes were different and usually that is stripped out when the car is sold. The term interceptor basically means nothing. I have trouble believing a shop would cut and balance a crimped together stock shaft.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

That is very odd that any shop would do that because those shafts are way too weak as it is. Thats almost dangerous even.
And Alan is completely correct. The only difference in the transmissions between a police car and any normal 4R70W is the tailshaft length.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

deeper pan also correct? they cut a custom shaft for it, i remember him selling the stock shaft on craigslist. what would be bad about cutting the stock shaft? The slip in it? I offroad and ive never had a problem with my driveshafts and mine have been lengthened in the rear and shortened in the front. I put some serious torque to them and ive never even twisted a shaft.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

also torque converters i believe are smaller in the interceptor
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

i checked on the cast engineering number thru the ford dealership. they said they couldnt find the exact match but he said it was probably a AOD tranny. Said it could have come from a lincoln. when i said crown vic interceptor he said that was probably it. so it is either a 93 or 94 with the automatic overdrive? Any way to figure the difference between the two?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

if this tranny is behind a 4.6 there is no way that it is an aod. you have a 4r70w, who cares what year if its a pos. ditch it and get a 99 or newer tranny.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Converter Guy

"interceptor" transmissions do not have deeper pans, all 96 newer transmissions have deeper pans. They also do not have larger converters. They are a mix and match some have the 12 inch converter others have the markVIII converter. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT YOUR BELOVED INTERCEPTOR.
Cutting a stock shaft is plain stupid look at the thing they were crimped together on the rear end. Any knowledgeable drivesahft shop you take it to will suggest replacement not alteration.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
"interceptor" transmissions do not have deeper pans, all 96 newer transmissions have deeper pans. They also do not have larger converters. They are a mix and match some have the 12 inch converter others have the markVIII converter. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT YOUR BELOVED INTERCEPTOR.
Cutting a stock shaft is plain stupid look at the thing they were crimped together on the rear end. Any knowledgeable drivesahft shop you take it to will suggest replacement not alteration.
Alan
Im not trying to be a prick about my beloved interceptor transmission. That is what it is and what i have. Its not a racecar and its not heading in that direction. not trying to race you or dump on tbird transmissions. all im trying to do is narrow down the type of transmission that is in it so i can know what i have to work with. If something breaks and i need a replacment part i cant order stock tbird parts for replacment. it is working fine and id love to keep it that way. you ripping on me about it doesnt help anyone. rip on me about being a newb on the forum i dont really care. im in the tech section asking a non newb question looking for help on ID of a transmission. Im doing my homework finding the numbers and calling the dealership. Just looking for someone that actually knows their stuff about ford transmissions to point me in helpful direction.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
What everyone is trying to say is that the internals of an "Interceptor" 4R70W are the same as the internals of a standard CrownVic/Grand Marquis 4R70W and the same as a Mustang 4R70W, and the same as a T’Bird/Cougar, depending on the year of the transmission, and differences in tail shaft lenghts/speedometer drive gear.

Someone correct me on the above statement since I am most assuredly not a tranny expert.

I think you believe that people are ripping on you because you are stating information that is not correct and they are correcting you. Dirtyd0g and Darrin (among others here… excluding myself) know these 4R70W transmission inside and out.

We have told you to read the tech articles which have internal part numbers of which things were better from which years. And believe me,DO NOT RELY ON WHAT A DEALERSHIP TELLS YOU!!! If you are calling for information only, they will say anything to get you out of their shop or off the phone as soon as possible. Or at least that has been my experience (for the last 25 years!) !!

Just read the tech article "Transmissions 101" (or whatever it's called) and then ask your questions.

Or just listen to Darrin and Dirtyd0g.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunthagunth
Im not trying to be a prick about my beloved interceptor transmission. That is what it is and what i have. Its not a racecar and its not heading in that direction. not trying to race you or dump on tbird transmissions. all im trying to do is narrow down the type of transmission that is in it so i can know what i have to work with. If something breaks and i need a replacment part i cant order stock tbird parts for replacment. it is working fine and id love to keep it that way. you ripping on me about it doesnt help anyone. rip on me about being a newb on the forum i dont really care. im in the tech section asking a non newb question looking for help on ID of a transmission. Im doing my homework finding the numbers and calling the dealership. Just looking for someone that actually knows their stuff about ford transmissions to point me in helpful direction.
If I were ripping on you I wouldn't be offering you information I am telling you the truth about what you have, It's not my fault you do not want to hear the truth. Tell me what lies you would like to be told and I will tell you that your interceptor is by far superior to any other transmission ever built on this planet. The frictions are twice the diameter of all other 4R70w's and a diamond,kevlar (whatever makes you happy) material. The case is made of pure titanium and the internals are as well.
That said if you need parts for that transmission they are the same as the thunderbird transmission. It is generally cheaper to buy a late model core to take parts from or modify it to use.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in