AOD-E Help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

AOD-E Help

Let me start from the beginning.
I started having a weird 'burp' while im driving. Its only on very slight acceleration, and seems to happen in higher gears rather than lower. Sometimes if I'm at the perfect RPM and speed it can do it constant. Like bump bump bump
Its like im riding over a very small bump. It gets really annoying crusing at around 40mph...
It seems to happen when the car is cold over when its warmed up.

Now theres another major problem. If I floor it in the upper gears, the tach goes crazy. It jumps from 4-4.5k, it can also stick at an rpm. The tach isn't lying...the engine feels that way. Engine still SOUNDS like its going.
It's not like the engine cuts out or bogs, the car just doesn't feel like its accelerating anymore. It's so strange.
Like once I was stuck in 3rd gear because the engine couldn't take the rpms up anymore while I was flooring it so it didn't shift and just stayed there for a little bit.

Does this sound like a spark problem, like a bad miss and spark cutout? Or does it sound like something is wrong with my damn trans...I don't know where to start.
I took a couple videos of the tach yesterday. I can't upload them now, but
the first video is me going half throttle at OD.
You see the tach starting at 3k and TICKING like a clock as soon as I go 1/2 throttle.
I guess it is possible that the tach is broken...but I swear the car doesn't feel like it has any pull.
Can the trans/tq converter failure cause anything like that? The trans is less then a year old, but has a warrantee.

Thanks guys
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, from the sound of it when you get into the higher revs the trans. is slipping. And if you still have your foot in it and it trys to shift to OD, it may not be so good for the trans. I know the 4R's don't like WOT shifts into OD, and I would think the same goes for the AOD.

The bump may be a bad tire, out of balance tire, bad u-joint, etc... Check all of the rotating parts for strange wear and see what you find. Heck, it could even be a wheel bearing.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77
Well, from the sound of it when you get into the higher revs the trans. is slipping. And if you still have your foot in it and it trys to shift to OD, it may not be so good for the trans. I know the 4R's don't like WOT shifts into OD, and I would think the same goes for the AOD.

The bump may be a bad tire, out of balance tire, bad u-joint, etc... Check all of the rotating parts for strange wear and see what you find. Heck, it could even be a wheel bearing.

Jay

I think the two problems are directly related, they started the same time. The bump feels more like a drivetrain problem...like a misfire or something with the trans but I don't know what.
It's only on very specific occasions when it happens, like high load high gear, and it happens more when the car is cold.

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
I have the same problem just not the shifting thing. I've replaced all the sensors and stuff. Still does it. I only have it from start to 45 mph. I know only one other person on here that has had this problem. I don't seem to see him much anymore. I think it is my tranny. I installed a MSD 6 A and it just amplified it. So now I can feel it above 45 mph. I'm going to replace all of the ignition system and see what happens.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Veteran Poster

Sounds like both SHUDDER in the TCC and MLPS failure.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in