Code 632 - Trans - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Code 632 - Trans

Hi. I have a 95 Cougar XR7 (3.8L) with 105k on the clock. Two days ago the CEL came on and it almost seems to be shifting weird. I went to a local guy I know who has a code reader to see what's up. The code that came up was:

632 : TRANS CTRL SWITCH NO STATE CHANGE

I searched the internet and can't find much about this, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The control switch is also known as the mlps. A very common problem on these cars. They are about $27 from ricerzone. Part #f-430. They will call it a neutral safety switch.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

TCS is the switch to lock out OD isn't it? Can you lock out OD with it? That code should only be thrown if you do the KOER diagnostics, and you have to cycle the switch when you do it.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
TCS is the switch to lock out OD isn't it? Can you lock out OD with it? That code should only be thrown if you do the KOER diagnostics, and you have to cycle the switch when you do it.
Well hmm interesting. We did the KOER test with a Snap On OBD diagnostic tool. He had me do the usual tap the throttle, swing the steering wheel left and right, but he didn't have me get out of park or push the OD button. He seems to think that its a code having to deal with the Torque Converter. He really doesn't know much about it and said a transmission place or dealer could diagnose it better. My finance drives the car right now and all she can tell me is that the CEL goes on and sometimes its off for a little bit but it goes back on again. She seems to think it has a hard time going up hills or shifting. I only had enough time to take it around the block last night and it did seem a tad bit jumpy when switching gears. I'll have to spend more time with it this week and see what I can find out. Were just hoping the trans is not on its way out. Money's kind of tight right now you know what i mean

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming. I really appreciate it!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Converter Guy

TCS is the code for Torque Converter Solenoid. The switch on the shifter is overdrive cancel. After reading the codes for myself I think what you have is a fluke and not your real problem. The next time you do a KOER self test cycle the od cancel switch on and off after you press and release the brake and turn the steering wheel.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I thought that Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid was TCC? Anyways, that code after doing the KOER test if you didn't actually toggle it during the test is common, if under normal driving you can turn OD off and it locks out OD, and you can enable OD and it shifts into OD then the switch and associated wiring is fine.

When you did the KOER test did you do the goose test and it passed that? That tests things like the TPS and MAF.

I have never driven a 3.8 powered electronic controlled tranny car before, but my AOD equipped 3.8 car is slow accelerating up hills, but I don't think that is a problem. I personally would do things like clean the MAF and check the normal maintanence things like plugs, last two tranny problems I have had ended up being miss fires from worn plugs. It acted just like TC shudder but when tested it didn't go away like a shudder should, so I looked elsewhere.

I would wait until you get a CEL again and scan it to get the codes, I usually just use a paperclip and count the blinks from the CEL.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Converter Guy

The terminology often used can be very confusing one book can call it one thing and another call it something else.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 07:35 AM

I wasn't sure either, so I looked it up just now. This is pasted from motoralldata.com - The most likely cause is highlighted in red.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) 632 and 653 indicate the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) was not cycled between engine "ID Code" and the "Goose Test" in Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Possible Causes:

damaged or switch not cycled during self-test.
Shorted harness.
Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM) .
Open harness or fuse.
Was TCS cycled during KOER Self-Test?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I didn't push any switch during the self test...... so that's probably it. As far as the CEL and any performance problems I'll do the basics first. Check plugs and wires, and clean the MAF with an electronics cleaner which worked wonders for my VW. Oil levels good, no signs of head gaskets needing done yet, so I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the help!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 PM

OK guys,
I have a 1995 F-150. The speedo quit working. The OD light on the shifter flashes. The owners manual says something about a brake sensor. I had it scanned at Advance auto parts. The KOER Code is 632, Trans Ctrl Sw Ckt, No State Change During Self-Test. What in the wild world of sports does that mean? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to take this thing to a dealer to get it fixed. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to have a $25 part changed.
Any advise appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in