Stupid Mistake? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
Stupid Mistake?

OK, I think I may have made a stupid mistake. . . .

I left the office for lunch and on the way back from lunch floored it from a red light. The bird shifted great 1-2 and when it went to shift into third there was a loud "clunk" and it neutraled out. When I pulled over there was a buzzing noise coming from the tranny. I killed the car in a parking lot for a few minutes thinking I seirously broke something. Pulled the dipstick to see if there was anything visible there and started it back up. Now shifts great 1-2 and 2-3 is there perfect and 3-4 is great. Since I got the buzzing I am thinking that the valve body "stuck" a valve or something on the attempted shift, but I don't know. . . . .the specs:

'97 4R70W with mechanical diode and a mild J-Mod installed in a '94 T-bird. All new electronics (solenoids, MLPS, etc) and new internal wiring harness. The tranny has less than 1000 miles on it since I rebuilt it, so I doubt it is the forward clutch and I did NOT touch the screw on the EPC if that is what your thinking. I guess I will just have to keep my foot out off of the floor (with the accelarator in between) for the time being if the VB is bad. I will have to baby it until after x-mas and I will update it to a '99.

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Sounds like something stuck or the mlps went bad. Are you sure the shifter was fully clicked into D? Could be shifter adjustment.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

How can driving a car at WOT be a stupid mistake? It should easily take WOT every time you drive it, take off from a stop, etc, I know, mine does! BAM BAM BAM from every light, mild JModed 97 and all the accumulator springs.

I don't have any words of wisdom as to what the problem might be though, I have been in a car with a buzzy valve body and it sounded like a box of angry bees.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions

Last edited by Bangster; 11-08-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

This is the second new MLPS I have put on it since the rebuild (The first one was bad out of the box apparently). When you say shifter adjustment are you talking about the shift lever itself in the car or the cable at the tranny? I made sure of the alignment on the MLPS when I adjusted the cable at the tranny, but I will have to take apart the console to try to adjust the lever itself.

1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The little nut that holds the cable to the bracket is the adjustment nut. You do not need to take the shifter apart there is nothing to adjust in there except the needle.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
The little nut that holds the cable to the bracket is the adjustment nut. You do not need to take the shifter apart there is nothing to adjust in there except the needle.
Alan
I thought that is what you were talking about. . . .yep adjusted it before, but I will check it out again and make sure I got the nut tight and it hasn't moved.

Thanks!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM
PostWhore

Wait, does it sound like a plastic fan that’s rubbing against plastic?? (Best way I can describe my noise). What makes the VB buzz?, does it mean it’s broken? I know my car shifts HARD from 1st-2nd and im not sure if the previous owner did any kind of shift kit or not.

I thought it might be the cats buzzing but id def sounds like its coming from trans.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Unhappy Well the plot thickens. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_viny
Wait, does it sound like a plastic fan that’s rubbing against plastic?? (Best way I can describe my noise). What makes the VB buzz?, does it mean it’s broken? I know my car shifts HARD from 1st-2nd and im not sure if the previous owner did any kind of shift kit or not.

I thought it might be the cats buzzing but id def sounds like its coming from trans.

On my way home I lost 3-4 again and no WOT. At the same time I lost 3-4 I got a CEL and the code was P0430 (Bank 2 Catalyst System Operating Below Efficiency), so maybe it was the cats buzzing and not the VB. The sound I am hearing sounds like the altenator bearing going out, but it comes from under neath the car. I guess I will look into replacing the CATs and replace the VB with a '96 I have sitting in the garage to see if that will fix the shifting, but I will not J-Mod the VB this time just for arguments sake to see if the new VB will fix it. . . .who am I kidding, of course I will J-Mod it! . . . . .I really don't want to have to tear down this tranny again. I DID check the cable again and everything is A-OK on that end, so I guess I just need to drop the pan and go from there. . . .

Now: Off to the Short Bus garage to clean and prepare for work. I guess the tear down of the 4.6 DOHC will have to wait another week or two.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

The VB buzz sounds like...buzzing. Have you ever been at a light with the windows down and a Chrysler vehicle with an automatic (pretty much all of them) pulls up next to you and you hear that bzzzzz noise as it's trans goes into first? that's what it sounds like.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

OK, so pulled the tranny pan to change the VB and there was a lot friction material in the pan. . . .I believe that I fried the forward clutch.

Finished pulling the tranny and will disassemble and look at clutch packs to see what failed. I will keep y'all posted!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

OK. . . .got the transmission apart and examined the forward clutch and everything looked brand new! I next went deeper and found the following things:

1.) The intermediate stub shaft decided to break so that must have been the "clunk" I heard. I don't know how come it shifted once after this noise, but I guess it wasn't fully broken?

2.) The sun gear seems to be apparently permanently attached to the direct clutch drum. Luckily, I had an extra planetary sitting in the garage and direct drum. . . .

So, I rebuilt the tranny cleaning everything thoroughly and repacking clutch packs and pistons. I rechecked clearances on the packs and reinstalled (I did flush the cooler completely and the TC the best I could).

I just finished reinstalling the transmission and this is what happened (or didn't happen). I have a strong reverse and no forward gear unless the shifter is all the way in the "1" position. When I put it back in Park, there was a wierd clicking noise that I am supposing is the park "prong" slipping on the teeth of the outpu drum. I quickly killed the car and am now confused.

If anybody has any thoughts or suggestions on ths situation then I am "all ears". . . . .and now I am going back to the short bus garage to see if I can finger out what went wrong.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

After doing some research and looking into what is actually going on with the transmission, I think what the problem may be is the forward clutch piston. I don't know whether or not it is not filling or if it is not retaining pressure on the forward clutch, but it looks like it is time for another tear down. . . . .I love learning, but I really need to figure out some way to "recycle" slightly used Mercron V. LOL

If someone has any other ideas let me know. I am still listening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in