HELP!!! Traction-lock IRS - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!! Traction-lock IRS

Im trying to rebuild a traction-lock diff from a thunderbird with 3.73 richmond gears. well im having a HUGE problem with the pinion depth. The install kit i have is for the 8.8 ford diff. My checking depth is supposed to be 2.622", but whenever i install the pinion into the case im measuring 2.662". Im .040" to deep into the case and i dont even have any shims under the bearing yet. I used the same tool on another 8.8 diff and it measured out perfect but its not with mine. Should i get the ford inner pinion bearing and race instead of using the richmond bearing and race? I dont know what else to do. Any ideas will DEFINATLY help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
What are you measuring depth with? if you are .040 too deep you need an .040 shim (seems really high to me but I don't like richmond gears). If you are coming up too tall you probably need to adjust carrier shims.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

im .040" to far into the centerline of the ring gear. im measuring with the proform pinion depth tool. its a dial indicator type tool. so adding a shim will just put me farther into the ring gear centerline. i need to go back as in towards the driveshaft end, but i dont have any shims installed underneath the bearing to take out so this is where im lost. the tool says to measure the pinion depth without the ring gear installed, so thats how im measuring it. any other ideas??

Last edited by Gator1980; 11-09-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Converter Guy

Your pinion gauge sucks use the shim that was originally found in that housing. and set everything else using the carrier bearings. I'm not knocking your tool I have one just like it and it doesn't work. The rotunda pinion depth gauge is the only one worth having. I can't guarantee your stock shim will work right with those gears but it should be close.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

i was kinda wondering if the tool sucked also. thanx 4 ur help. ill use the stock shim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:33 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Is the center distance marked on the gear? I've seen that with different gears.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Converter Guy

On richmond it should be which means you need the specification from the ford gear to calculate what the shim should actually be.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in