Tranny Probs - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Tranny Probs

Hey guys I have a problem. When I first start the car in the mornings my tranny dosent like to go into drive. It slips in and out till it warms up. But after it warms up it goes right in and doesnt slip at all. I thought about flushing the fluids changing the filter in it. Would that help any at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
I don't think so. The AOD's are just like that. Mine shifts so smooth it bugs me. Now it is taking too long to shift into Over drive. Well try it. If you do, may I recommend somethings? Get a drain plug and install it into the pan. Then do not use the cork gaskets. Get the rubber ones. Check the bolts holding the rear of the tranny onto the center section. Where the yoke of the driveshaft goes in. Make sure they are tight.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Have you checked the fluid to make sure it is at the correct level? When my trans. cooler line was leaking my AOD would do this once enough fluid leaked out. I just topped it off every now and then and it's fine now that I have the leak fixed.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You have a different tranny than us.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Why yes I do, in my 95 Bird. But I DO have an AOD in my 84 Vic, so that's what I was basing my advice on since I've had that issue before

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:31 PM

I agree with FordMan77...

It does sound like low fluid in the AOD. Make sure you have it filled to the "Do Not Overfill" writing stamped onto the dipstick. There was a TSB floating around about that. Check the level with the engine warmed up in neutral. If it shows at the top of the "Full Warm" mark, you are about a pint or so too low. Add until it hits the "D" in Do Not Overfill. That should fix your cold slip...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77
Why yes I do, in my 95 Bird. But I DO have an AOD in my 84 Vic, so that's what I was basing my advice on since I've had that issue before

Jay
OH! Ok then. I didn't know that. Mine is full up to the mark and it still slips. I was wondering if the T.V. cable isn't adjusted correctly, will that cause the tranny to slip?

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:18 AM

bad93bird

It could be the TV cable adjustment, but that would cause shift problems even when warmed up. (and it will kill your tranny if set too low)
Typically, if the TV is set loose, the tranny will shift too early (stacked shifts) and if it is too tight it will delay shifting (wind out the RPM's too high before shifting). Sometimes slipping is just a sign that the tranny is worn out.
If you haven't done a fluid change in a while, that would be a good place to start. That will give you a good idea of what your situation is. It could be something as simple as the pickup screen/fluid filter being clogged, or if the fluid is dark and smells burnt, it is time for a rebuild. You might be able to get a few more miles out of a slipping tranny by adding a bottle of Lucas Tranny Stop-Slip, but that is a temporary fix at best (some consider it to be snake-oil, but it won't hurt anything to give it a try).
You may want to check the TV cable anyway. Use the "Zero-Slack" method to set it and see if that makes any difference in the shifting.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Telling someone to use a zero-slack method to adjust an aod tv cable is a bad bad idea. That cable's adjustment directly effects the life of that transmission. If the cable is not properly adjusted and considerably off that life span could be just a few minutes. The only way to adjust an aod cable is with a pressure gauge. 33-35psi idling warm in neutral. You need the gauge block as well to pull the cable out the correct distance.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Alan, I've been trying to find out the correct dimension of the guage block without much success. Can you let me know this dimension, or how much it pulls out the tv cable? Thanks alot
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
IIRC it is .275 thick I will have to go measure mine to be sure.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in