AX4N question for the tranny gods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
AX4N question for the tranny gods

Ok, I just changed the trans fluid and filter on my step-father's car. It's a 98 sable with the 24V motor and it has an AX4N trans. The old fluid was pretty dirty, but not horrible, so I didn't think it was a danger to change it. After doing the trans service, the car shifts really hard, like chirping the 1-2 shift at half throttle. I double checked the fluid level, and it is right at the top of the cross hatching. At first I thought that maybe the computer just needed to relearn the shift patterns or something, but I have driven the car about 50 miles, and there has been no improvement. Anyone know what happened?

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Any codes? The 1-2 hard shift on those transmissions can be a sign of several things. Valvebody problems and epc solenoid problems are the most common. It seems if anything goes wrong you get that problem. Are you sure you used the correct filter and the trans is properly filled?
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Well all the shifts are hard, not just the 1-2. It's just more pronounced on the 1-2, I think because you are going slower, but it upshifts hard into every gear (downshifts when slowing down are still perfectly smooth). Even if I lift the pedal to let it shift, it still jerks the car forward pretty hard. It is definitely the right filter, had them side by side to make sure, and the fluid level was right at the top of the cross hatched area. When I first drove it, I went about a mile and noticed the hard shifts, so I pulled it back in and checked the fluid level and it was fine. I haven't checked it since then though. Also I haven't had a chance to check for codes since doing the trans service. I'll do that monday. I know it does have a code for VSS intermittent because what he originally complained about was the speedo jumping around when he's on the highway. I ordered a VSS for it, and it will be here monday, but the car didn't have the hard shifts with that code before the trans service, so I don't think that's causing it.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Ok, I just got back from the shop. I checked for codes, and the only code present is the VSS intermittent that the car had before I changed the fluid. I used the scanner to make a movie of accelerating and the car shifting through the gears, and I noticed something that didn't make sense to me. It seems like shift solenoid 2 is working backwards I think. Here is the data from the movie. It was a half throttle run up through all the gears.

Vehicle speed - 0mph
Gear - 1st
Shift solenoid 1 - off
Shift solenoid 2 - on
Shift solenoid 3 - off

Vehicle speed - 34mph
Gear - 2nd
Shift solenoid 1 - off
Shift solenoid 2 - off
Shift solenoid 3 - off

Vehicle speed - 45mph
Gear - 3rd
Shift solenoid 1 - on
Shift solenoid 2 - on
Shift solenoid 3 - on

Vehicle speed - 52mph
Gear - 4th
Shift solenoid 1 - on
Shift solenoid 2 - on
Shift solenoid 3 - on

Those last 2 really confuse me because the car definitely has all 4 gears, and the only problem noticed is when shifting, but it is showing all 3 shift solenoids on for 3rd and 4th. There is no drag or anything, and the car still has plenty of power. First off, wouldn't having all the solenoids on lock the trans? And even if it didn't, you couldn't have the same solenoids on for both 3rd and 4th gears right? I only know the basics about how the trans works, so let me know if I am missing something here, but this data is really confusing me.

Mike

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
PostSlut

check out www.tcca.com

I just took my 02 taurus in for tranny trouble.

I've read that when the VSS acts up in the AX0D, AX4N, etc. trannies, it makes them run a little rough.

My problem was a broken clip on the servo.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird
check out www.tcca.com

I just took my 02 taurus in for tranny trouble.

I've read that when the VSS acts up in the AX0D, AX4N, etc. trannies, it makes them run a little rough.

My problem was a broken clip on the servo.
That link brings up some kind of search engine

As for the VSS, I got the new one and will replace it tomorrow, but the car had the VSS code before I did the trans service, and it shifted absolutely perfect, so I'm not sure that's the problem. It might be a contributing factor, but I think something else is wrong here, otherwise it's just a big coincidence that it happened as soon as I did the trans service. Also those shift solenoid on/off patterns don't seem right to me, but I don't know for sure. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

Mike

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:15 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL
That link brings up some kind of search engine

As for the VSS, I got the new one and will replace it tomorrow, but the car had the VSS code before I did the trans service, and it shifted absolutely perfect, so I'm not sure that's the problem. It might be a contributing factor, but I think something else is wrong here, otherwise it's just a big coincidence that it happened as soon as I did the trans service. Also those shift solenoid on/off patterns don't seem right to me, but I don't know for sure. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

Mike
sorry about the link.....try this one, http://www.realtcca.com/forum/index.php?act=portal

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in