just want to make sure.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ThunderBeast86
just want to make sure....

I've priced it out a couple different ways, and this appears to be the cheapeast....

If I buy an old 3.08 aluminum open carrier from a MarkViii, swap into it a rebuilt 28 spline 8.8 track-lok from a mustang, and install the gears and everything, it should all work?
Is it the Pumpkin or the track-lok that needs to be shaved on a solid 8.8?
I believe it's the pumpkin, so if the pumpkin is alum. from a markviii, and the track-lok from a solid 8.8, it should still work perfectly, correct?
Anything else I should be aware of?
I plan on purchasing:
3.08 open alum. pumpkin
4.30 motive Gears
Track-lok w/ rebuild kit
Install kit

anything else?
(besides the obvious 1 piece alum driveshaft)
Btw, where is everyone getting their driveshafts from nowadays? I know the group purchase got some decent ones, but someone else posted up a place that was like $250....but it was arguable whether it could handle 4.30 gears or much RPM....so where are most people going?

2.25" True Dual Catless DI/DO Magnaflow Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Addco 1 3/8", J-mod, Viper 791 Alarm, Clarion 855 full color touch-screen, Directed 2400 amp , 2 12" CV Strokers with a custom ported box, K&N air filter, 180* T-Stat, Xcal2 SCT TUNED BY LONNIE 17 x 7.5 (245/45/17) Chrome Cobra R's, 17x9 in back(275/40/17)
DOHC sitting in the garage
Teksid 2v plans?!?!
Tranny Cooler, Dual Remote Oil Filter waiting for install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The side gears need to be the IRS ones or they need machined. The gears are with the trac-loc, not the pumpkin or the carrier on an open rear. I don't remeber is a groove for a retainer is what it needs, or a bevel, there is a picture posted here recently that shows the difference.

That should be all that you didn't list above.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ThunderBeast86
so if I buy the track-lok separate....and ship it to Dirty, to have him machine it.... I can take the machined Track_lok (originally from a solid rear), throw it into an alum. open carrier (won't be open diff. anymore), with the rebuild kit, and install kit? This will be easier...I'll just have it shipped directly to Dirty, instead of having to ship the whole carrier, I'll only need to ship the track-lok to be machined- is what you're saying, right?

2.25" True Dual Catless DI/DO Magnaflow Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Addco 1 3/8", J-mod, Viper 791 Alarm, Clarion 855 full color touch-screen, Directed 2400 amp , 2 12" CV Strokers with a custom ported box, K&N air filter, 180* T-Stat, Xcal2 SCT TUNED BY LONNIE 17 x 7.5 (245/45/17) Chrome Cobra R's, 17x9 in back(275/40/17)
DOHC sitting in the garage
Teksid 2v plans?!?!
Tranny Cooler, Dual Remote Oil Filter waiting for install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 01:30 AM

I understood it as if you reuse the side gears from the traction loc pumpkin, they need machined. If you use the side gears from the IRS unit, they do not. Actually will be doing this to my Mark VIII in the future and thought the rears were the same as far as the gears go, just different pumpkins for traction loc.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in