J-mod? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

J-mod?

I did several searches and cannot find out what this is. I read it helps quicken shifts but doesn't the tuner do a good enough job of that as I see guys list both in their sigs? Thanks, mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Baby Huey

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

3rd one down

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:31 AM
It is nice

It is everywhere check the technical articles page (transmission). You modify the valve body plate, and put updated parts in if necessary. By firming the shifts with the tuner only can cause problems as that increases line pressure, yet your valve body is not altered to handle that. So you have to start off with a j-mod first then can firm the shifts up some more. I think you can though change the shift points and such without a j-mod with no problems. It's just not recommended to increase line pressure without having it done.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

in a nutshell it is a shiftkit using ford parts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Why is it that every time I read any detailed information about the J-Mod here in the tech articles it is CLEAR that it can only be done during a full rebuild. It includes hard parts deep inside the transmission.

Yet I continually see folks talking about doing a J-Mod at a meet in a few hours. That is why I am confused.

I HAVE searched. I HAVE read about 2-3 hours worth of data on the J-Mod and am MORE confused now then I was when I started.

How can it be a "shift kit" when it involves replacing internal parts. Maybe there are multiple "levels" of J-Mod? I did see that the "FordPartsCounter" guy listed parts for a 'mild' J-Mod.

I am getting more confused the more I read.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

http://images19.fotki.com/v358/photo...Tbird01-vi.jpg
1994 White (WT) TBird - 4.6 L SOHC with 4R70W

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply

Rehab progress link
Today's Progress
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Maybe there are multiple "levels" of J-Mod
correct, and the mildest level is replacing the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons, and drilling out some holes in the valvebody.

for a full j-spec tranny you would have to rebuild the entire tranny.

clear as mud?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 04:23 PM

All your doing is dropping the pan taking out the valve body drilling some bigger holes in certain ones and upgrading 2 of the shift accumulators thats all your doing. Your not going deep into the tranny and yes it can be done within a couple hrs maybe less if you have done it b4. And the levels are changed by i believe a couple holes that are made larger in the different levels to get an even more firm shift
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

there is modifying the valve body and then there is modding the entire trans. 2 different things. do one or the other or both.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
PostWhore

Yep, the J-mod is all within the valve body area. Doesn’t require dropping the trans (thank god) lol.

From what I understand, the different "levels" of the J-mod basically is how fast and hard it shifts. And yes, it’s actually good for the transmission to do the J-mod because the clutches don’t drag so much between shifts.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DScruggs
Why is it that every time I read any detailed information about the J-Mod here in the tech articles it is CLEAR that it can only be done during a full rebuild. It includes hard parts deep inside the transmission.

Yet I continually see folks talking about doing a J-Mod at a meet in a few hours. That is why I am confused.

I HAVE searched. I HAVE read about 2-3 hours worth of data on the J-Mod and am MORE confused now then I was when I started.

How can it be a "shift kit" when it involves replacing internal parts. Maybe there are multiple "levels" of J-Mod? I did see that the "FordPartsCounter" guy listed parts for a 'mild' J-Mod.

I am getting more confused the more I read.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#
1st link is the full tranny rebuild to j-spec.
2nd and 3rd were pulled from 1st to do just the shift-kit portion of it.
2nd is upgrading the accumulators and pistons and which springs to replace/remove.
3rd is modifying the valve body.

In the 2nd most at least change the 1-2 accumulator to the updated style and leave the bottom spring out and update the 2-3 accumulator and leave the spring out on it.

In the 3rd you drill the separater plate out to the level of HP you are producing.
Just make sure you find the correct pic for the valve body year you are using as some of the holes moved in 98, I believe.

An external tranny cooler is also recommended to futher extend the life of the tranny.

2nd and 3rd is done with the tranny in the car, unless you happen to have it out for another reason.

Hope I got that right and helped clear it up a little. It confused the heck out of me when I first heard about it. I did all my research and got it done in about 6 hrs. taking my time and double checking everything before I drilled and put it back together.

Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:40 AM
4th Gear Poster

I'll add a few questions.
1. What kind of 0-60mph increases and 1/4mile increases can be had with a mild j-mod?
2. On a scale from 1-10, for a guy that's never torn into a tranny. How hard is this mod?

Justin McC
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Faster than Porkchop

I bought a modded valve body from Alan .

I dont know about the increases in 0-60 but it will shift faster .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkfist04
I'll add a few questions.
1. What kind of 0-60mph increases and 1/4mile increases can be had with a mild j-mod?
You might see some what of an increase but not much. Your going to need a better TC and gears to help out with track times
2. On a scale from 1-10, for a guy that's never torn into a tranny. How hard is this mod?
Your really not ripping apart the tranny, all your doing is dropping the valve body which is a piece of cake and drilling some holes. Id say its about a 4 at most. You just gotta pay attention to were everything goes and make sure everything goes back into together right
-Matt-
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 12:50 PM
4th Gear Poster

well i already have the maurader Tc and explorer swap so i'm already use to the feel of that mod..lol stock gears though.. and i haven't searched in depth on the mod but does it always shift snappy or when your puttin' around does it shift relatively smooth (for the sake of the girl..haha)

Justin McC
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:06 PM

Without a tune from lonnie it just slightly firms up the shifts some. You will feel it immediatly in the 1-2 shift. I dont know how hard it will shift without the tune at WOT because i never really got on her without it lol but with the tune its a great
1-2 and 2-3 shift. Its night and day difference from the stock shifting just takes alittle bit used to thats all. I would do it and put a cooler in while your there to keep the heat down and flush it with mercon v tranny fluid if u havent already. Also how many miles on your tranny??

-Matt-
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

130k. i already have a tranny cooler installed and a tune w/ firmer shifts.. firm enough to chirp second..

Justin McC
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchevez
I bought a modded valve body from Alan .

I dont know about the increases in 0-60 but it will shift faster .
What did it cost you?

Justin McC
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkfist04
What did it cost you?

Just pm Dirtydog or if you really want the price I paid pm me .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in