Good Transmission News for a change! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Good Transmission News for a change!

Let me start my story by giving you its past.

Back in August of 2004 I started having the infamous "shudder" from 2nd to 3rd gear on my 4R70W Transmission. I had started a thread on here and BlackCat94 had given advice to just simply have the Pan Dropped, The Filter and Tranny Fluid changed. ( Here is the old post http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=46713 )

Well went I went to get that done at the time the transmission shop talked me out of doing this stating it would more then likely just finish my transmission off. So I did not get this done.

Fast Forward 2 years 4 months. Over time the Transmission "shudder" has gotten progressively worse. I had used an additive to help out about a year ago and it did help the situation out some.

Well today I finally broke down and took a chance with the fluid/filter change. I decided if it finished off the transmission then so be it, I would buy a replacement one, however..... GOOD NEWS! The tranmission is working wonderfully now. It shifts smoothly between 2nd and 3rd and I couldn't be happier with the results considering it now has 140,000 miles on the transmission. It even improved other areas such as it used to take a good 2-3 seconds to go from reverse back to drive, now it shifts back into drive instantly.

I want to give a belated apology to BlackCat94 for not trusting his instinct earlier. If anyone else is "on the fence" about this, maybe this will help you make a decision.

Thanks BlackCat94!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:14 PM
PostWhore

I'm not sure why a transmission shop would say not to have the Pan Dropped, The Filter and Tranny Fluid changed. That’s like saying not to change your engines oil if it’s making noise. It may not help, but it def wont hurt it lol.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
If a transmission is too bad and you change the fluid the new clean fluid could destroy the seals and speed up the transmissions death.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
If a transmission is too bad and you change the fluid the new clean fluid could destroy the seals and speed up the transmissions death.
Alan
Dirtydog,

I remember you saying that a couple years ago and that is the reason I didn't get it done then.

Today however what we did before actually changing the fluid is we dropped the pan and saved the old fluid. We looked at the color and consistency of the fluid first and checked to see how much metal shavings were in it.

It didn't seem to bad so at that point we decided to break open the old filter and check it. Upon opening the old filter there were some metal shavings in the filter but the transmission tech stated he honestly had seen much worse so he thought it wouldn't hurt it at all to put in new fluid.

I guess we will see how the "seals" hold up if they get soft from the new fluid, however at this point I am highly optimistic and convinced it was a good move.. Time will tell though.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Converter Guy

Thats all you can do, even if it does go bad it's not like you ruined it by treating it right. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
5th Gear Poster

Was the old fluid Dexron III and the new Mercon V? My tranny's getting worse and I'm thinking of making the switcharoo in a last-ditch effort.

-John
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcalla
Was the old fluid Dexron III and the new Mercon V? My tranny's getting worse and I'm thinking of making the switcharoo in a last-ditch effort.

-John
Merc V.. The Old was Merc V as well
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 07:24 AM

I am in the same boat. Unfortunately, I am convinced I am already having seal troubles. Might just be the cork gasket at the pan, but I am really not sure. I was considering changing the fluid in a last ditch effort, and cleaning the entire underside of the car to see if in deed the seals are toast. At this point I am not sure what to do. But if this helps, and gets me to the first of the year, I may attempt it today, to see what happens. Thanks for the info, and all the best rhyno.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:27 AM

I have the same issue. I just changed the fluid from Mer v to fresh Merc v, and it is still shuddering. I am going to try an additive next.

Joe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I am certainly considering this play right now but I have several questions.

1. Is there any reason that the pan drop is favored over the flush method?
2. How many quarts are needed if I do the pan drop AND drain the converter?
3. What 'additives' are people using?

I also have seen many cases of trans failure right after fluid change so i am skittish as well.

http://images19.fotki.com/v358/photo...Tbird01-vi.jpg
1994 White (WT) TBird - 4.6 L SOHC with 4R70W

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply

Rehab progress link
Today's Progress
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
unless you drop the pan, then you can't change the filter. . . . .that is probably the main reason for the "pan drop" method. Also you can look at and clean the collection magnet in the pan to see if you may be in for trouble. . . .JMO

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 12:52 PM
PostSlut

the "additives" people use for example is, Lucas oil..... I'm sure they make one specified fro automatic tranny's.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:40 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
This is the one recommended by Dirtd0g. . . . .he said on one of these threads that he uses it on all of his rebuilds. . . .

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000060902.htm

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Converter Guy

I use the red lubeguard on all aod's on 4r70w's I use motorcraft merconV only.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:44 PM
3rd Gear Poster

# Quarts if Converter is drained?

-His reply

Rehab progress link
Today's Progress
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I find it interesting that you use the Red bottle (60902) even though the company makes a version seemingly specific to Mercon V (green bottle - 62005)

-His reply

Rehab progress link
Today's Progress
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 02:06 PM
PostWhore

My wife's 98 Crown Vic has 154k on it and had the TC shudder. Thinking since it was an old police car, surely they had changed the fluid at least once. Well I dropped the pan and the factory dip-stick plug was in the pan, yikes! Since I had already let it pump most of the fluid already out, drained the TC and dropped the pan, I had no other choice put to proceed. Everything is now working like it should and the shudder is gone. Took 13 quarts to fill her back up.

Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DScruggs
I find it interesting that you use the Red bottle (60902) even though the company makes a version seemingly specific to Mercon V (green bottle - 62005)
As I said I do not use the red in 4r70w's I use fluid only. The green bottle doesn't do what it is supposed to do.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 PM

I did the pan drop, filter, and Mercon V two years ago in Feb. Here recently my tranny has been making a noise under load (sound like metal rattling really fast). I don't have a shudder, but it seems like it slips under WOT at around 4500+ (although this could be electrical, I do need new plugs). Any suggestions or should I start planning on a new tranny now.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Made a bunch of very detailed observations about shift quality and oddities today. Will post in separate thread.

-His reply

Rehab progress link
Today's Progress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in