Need To Remove Trac-loc From Rear.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Need To Remove Trac-loc From Rear....

hey guys,

I am trying to rebuild a rear and Iam going to use the trac-loc from a previous SC rear I have. I am trying to remove the center's inners and can not seem to get it out. Can anyone give or point me in the direction of a "how to" on removing this please?

Thanks.

[email protected]

"Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
- Jesus Christ

My 95 LX project car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Pry,beat,bang and cuss. Repeat if necessary.

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Put two blocks of wood on the ground. Lay a towel in the middle. Set the pumpkin on it with the rear flange resting on the wood so the carrier doesn't touch the wood. Pick it up and slam it on the wood. The carrier should drop out. It may take several tries. Make sure to do over dirt to prevent damage to your floor or gears. I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but it has worked for me in the past.

"You know Darren, if you would have told me twenty-five years ago that some day I'd be standing here about to solve the world's energy problems, I would've said you're crazy... Now let's push this giant ball of oil out the window." Cosmo Kramer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I had no idea the process was so... so... surgical! lol.

I have to admit, I didn't expect to get that as an answer, but OK! I'm game to give it a shot.

Thanks much guys! AND - Merry Christmas!

Now where'd I put my BFH?

- Jesus Christ

My 95 LX project car
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury267
Now where'd I put my BFH?

haha

Project still in progress
Explorer engine, vortech v2,intercooled,bullit intake,derale power steering cooler, b&m trans cooler, oil filter relocation, cobra aluminum radiator, Walbro 255 Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front/back,,mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 3:73 aluminum diff, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program, pbr dual pistons drilled/slotted, stainless lines , recaro seats, sct x4 DonL tuned

Last edited by jamesD; 12-25-2006 at 06:06 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:37 AM
3rd Gear Poster

What I usually end up doing is this. I remove the small bolt thet retains the cross-shaft. I partially slide the cross-shaft down and let it butt up against the lower rear face of the housing. Then, from the top side of the housing I pry against a ring gear bolt. They usually come out fairly easily.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I jam 2 prybars into the carrier and pry down.
Don't think it gets much easier than that. If it is aluminum you may need to spread the case.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Not to hi-jack the thread but a question. I have a tlok out of a SC and I want to put 3.55(currently has 3.27). How hard is it to change the gears?! I also bought a ford rebuild kit. DO you guys recommend me paying someone to do it?!

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Cat
..DO you guys recommend me paying someone to do it?!
Yes. That being said, if you are willing to learn, dont mind making an investment in tools and wont be upset about goofing it up (90% chance of singing gears) go for it. It is probably easier to have it done though.

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdbrain
Yes. That being said, if you are willing to learn, dont mind making an investment in tools and wont be upset about goofing it up (90% chance of singing gears) go for it. It is probably easier to have it done though.

I am certainly not the expert seeing as I posted a question in the first place, HOWEVER, the guy building my rear is, and he has ALREADY given me a heads up on aftermarket gears that they can tend NOT to be made with the same tolerance as factory gears and have a higher likelyhood of making noise than a factory set. If you haven't already bought them, it could prove to be better to by a Ford set of the gear ratio that you desire... I hope this helps. I am a little screwed in that I went with the cheaper route and went with a set of non-Ford gears, so it is a 50/50 as to whether or not these will whine when I get them put in the newly rebuilt rear or not.

- Jesus Christ

My 95 LX project car
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the tip.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury267
I am certainly not the expert seeing as I posted a question in the first place, HOWEVER, the guy building my rear is, and he has ALREADY given me a heads up on aftermarket gears that they can tend NOT to be made with the same tolerance as factory gears and have a higher likelyhood of making noise than a factory set. If you haven't already bought them, it could prove to be better to by a Ford set of the gear ratio that you desire... I hope this helps. I am a little screwed in that I went with the cheaper route and went with a set of non-Ford gears, so it is a 50/50 as to whether or not these will whine when I get them put in the newly rebuilt rear or not.

The 3.55 I have are Ford. Also, what tools are needed for such swap?! What I heard is that you needed to balance it? I really do not know... I would need more info on how to do it. I do not want to risk it you know.

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in