What's the best swap for me? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kaptn' Obvious Send a message via Yahoo to Kaptn' Obvious
What's the best swap for me?

I've hated my tranny ever since I bought my car. It's always been stuck in last week.

The shudderbug came to visit about a year ago. It's gotten to the point that it's time for an upgrade. The trans is also on it's death roll now. (100k out of a 95 tranny seems to be a rare thing from what I read...)

I don't drive the wee out my car, And i'm not into drag racing. The most I beat on her is the occasional launch down an onramp. Or to tear up the twisties in AR when I'm in the neighborhood and in the mood. Most of the miles on my car are highway miles.

My list so far is:

A lil firmer shifts (mild j-mod)
Tranny cooler
Mark VIII driveshaft

There's a pratt-load tranny swaps I could do. From what I read I need to step away from rebuilding the 95 tranny. I don't plan to do any major mods. Just duals, the intake tube, and a mild tune.

So, what's best tranny for me without taking a dive off the deep end?

Thanks!

Mostly stock...

For now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

If all you have is shudder replace the fluid and see if it goes away. I can't imagine driving it for a year with shudder though....that will be some VERY burnt fluid. As for a rarity if you maintain it well (read change the fluid every 15K) thy will last fine. I put 210,000 on mine before it went and that was on a blower car.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kaptn' Obvious Send a message via Yahoo to Kaptn' Obvious
Man! the tranny is gone. I have never changed the fluid intentionally. Been waiting patiently for it to die... It now has problems engaging OD.

It's time for a more better drivetrain. (If you're with me?) I've never liked the way i'm always waiting for the tranny to figure out what I want.

I'm looking for a fairly easy swap. I'm cool with changing a harness or whatever. As I said, whatever I replace it with will include a j-mod as I put it in.

The tranny hasn't been right since it was new (rebuilt) I'm looking foreward to getting rid of it!

Mostly stock...

For now...

Last edited by Kaptn' Obvious; 01-10-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Then try to find a low mileage 01 or 02 4R70W. Mine is out of a mustang but I have also seen a few people use ones out of an F150

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Awesome. If memory serves that swap is fairly easy?

***Takes a gander at tech articles***

Thanks for the advise!

Mostly stock...

For now...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
i'll be upgrading my transmission soon, so i'll sell ya mine if you want.....nothing wrong with it, just found a good deal on a newer one :p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in