4r75w in my lincoln Mark VIII - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

4r75w in my lincoln Mark VIII

I've got a friend that has 3 4r75w sitting in his garage, I'm wondering what would be needed to replace my stock 80k 4r70w with a 0 mile 4r75w? is it an even swap? how much would it cost to update it to work in my lincoln if not an even swap? How much should it cost to have someone look through it.

See sig for reason for a stonger trans.

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
Mods: SCT tune, MAF, exhaust, 04 cobra motor blah blah blah
Click here for Cardomain link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You can do it but it still won't hold up in stock form to an 03 Cobra setup. Just don't wire in the turbine sensor and rewire the harness in your car just like you would for a newer 4R70W. There is a mismatch with the OSS that will have to be dealt with in the tuning that the tuner will have to understand to be able to fix.

I strongly suggest having Lonnie tune it if you do this.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

<==== SCT PRP abuser.

There are a TON of 04 mercury Marauders and Mach's running well over 500 RWHP with this transmission in basically stock form so i'll be in the same camp. No diss to Lonnie but I can tune it once identified what needs attention.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
Just don't wire in the turbine sensor and rewire the harness in your car just like you would for a newer 4R70W. There is a mismatch with the OSS that will have to be dealt with in the tuning that the tuner will have to understand to be able to fix.
Darrin
So do you wire the VSS in place of OSS or just scrap it all together ?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakness
<==== SCT PRP abuser.

There are a TON of 04 mercury Marauders and Mach's running well over 500 RWHP with this transmission in basically stock form so i'll be in the same camp. No diss to Lonnie but I can tune it once identified what needs attention.
Just letting you know that I have built several of those transmissions for the guys that have blown theirs up already with less power than you will be making. But hey, what do I know...

Also, you don't have all the parameters you need to tune that properly with a PRP. I am an SCT dealer and I don't have all of the stuff to do it properly. Lonnie is one of few that does.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

From what I understand alot of failures that occur come from improper trans tunes and just plain abuse / heat. I just need to know what needs to happen for this trans to work.

I've done several searches but alot of mish - mash of information and tread jacks that cloud / derail the topic. if it a matter of a simple re-pin re-wire then ok, if it requires a new input shaft fine I was planning on getting a hardened one anyways and have it installed when my trans guy checks out the trans.

So basically I'm just looking for a sticky level post of what is required to make a 4r75w to work in a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakness
From what I understand alot of failures that occur come from improper trans tunes and just plain abuse / heat. I just need to know what needs to happen for this trans to work.

I've done several searches but alot of mish - mash of information and tread jacks that cloud / derail the topic. if it a matter of a simple re-pin re-wire then ok, if it requires a new input shaft fine I was planning on getting a hardened one anyways and have it installed when my trans guy checks out the trans.

So basically I'm just looking for a sticky level post of what is required to make a 4r75w to work in a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
Well dude, it sounds like you know more than I do then. I can't help you since what you are telling me goes against what I know to be true.

I wish you the best

Darrin

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I not saying or implying that I know more than you, that is from what I've read and to be my understanding so far. Coming in and saying that "have built several of those transmissions for the guys that have blown theirs up already with less power than you will be making." is not much of a response. I've seen cars with stock 4r75w's at 500 RWHP I've also read bone stock cars grenading their trans so any info would help with closing the gap of confusion

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Coming in and saying that "I've seen cars with stock 4r75w's at 500 RWHP" is far much less of a response.

Who has a stock 4R75W running 500rwhp through it that has had it hold up for an extended period? I need some proof.

Perhaps that will help this "gap" so lets start with that. As I said, I need a little proof. And I am not talking about internet claims or guys that have had it running for less than a year. Who has that setup that has it holding up long term.

Darrin

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I thought the idea behind this post was to establish if 04 trans can be used in a 97-98 Lincoln Mark VIII without changing the output shaft. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate any info on this.

I don't know about 500rwhp guys, but I do know about over 100 trilogy marauders in the neighbourhood of 450rwhp that still use original 03-04 transmissions. Mileage varying from 1k miles to 50k miles.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1stGen
I thought the idea behind this post was to establish if 04 trans can be used in a 97-98 Lincoln Mark VIII without changing the output shaft. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate any info on this.

I don't know about 500rwhp guys, but I do know about over 100 trilogy marauders in the neighbourhood of 450rwhp that still use original 03-04 transmissions. Mileage varying from 1k miles to 50k miles.
Yeah, I forgot about the output shaft. Sorry about that. The 4R75W output shaft doesn't have speedo gear teeth on it.

Also as I alluded to above, there is an issue with the OSS that will need to be addressed in the tune by someone with the software and knowledge to fix it.

You guys know that the differences between the 4R70W and a 4R75W are minimal with the major changes being a redesigned intermediate piston assembly and the addition of a turbine speed sensor to monitor slippage of the forward clutch on the 4R75W. These transmissions both have the same amount of clutches in each clutch. And actualy I think that the reverse sun shell is weaker on the 4R75W due to it being a riveted design. There are other changes, but it isn't like they redesigned the whole transmission and beefed it up a lot. It is still mostly the same transmission.

Darrin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in