97 4.6L LX bird trans "comeout of gear" "stuck in park" - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

97 4.6L LX bird trans "comeout of gear" "stuck in park"

My dad has a 1997 LX 4.6L LX bird

1) EVer since he has had this car it has had these 2 issues with the transmission. Basically before the car is warmed up and especially on colder days it is very difficoult to get the shifter out of park and into drive, reverse, anything other than park. As i said once the car is warmed up or on hot days the problem doesnt occur often. Any ideas on a diagnosis?

2) the car will shift just fine 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes while in 3rd it will come out of 3rd and the rpm's will rise a bit if you stay on the gas. It feals like it's in neutral like inbetween shifting gears. after a cuple seconds or if you stay on the gas about 500 rpm's it will shift back into 3rd. It will shift a bit hard like its got a shift kit type of feal with i let the rpm's rise 500 and it decides to go back into gear. Any ideas on a diagnosis?

Im trying to get my dad to get the trans on its regular servicing ( i think the 130,000 servicing was skipped and the car has 140 on it) but he doesnt get around to it and i work too many hours. Could it be just neglect from servicing causing this stuff or does it sound like an odd or more serious issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
flush the trans and torque converter with merc 5, don't let a lube shop use some "additive" its not the same, take apart the center console and spray the crap out of the little cable on the passanger side toward the radio with spray oil or wd40, and maybe everything else you see, might help you, it helped me, also check the fuse for the brakes if its burnt out replace it and that will help...

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
if you have to get the trans flushed at ford with merc 5

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 02:50 AM

The "sticking" of the shifter is most likely caused by the brake-shift interlock solenoid. Basically there is a small solenoid that activates when the key is on and you press the brake and it allows you to shift out of park. Cold weather and spillage of a sticky substance in just the right place over the center console can cause the solenoid thing to stick and not let the shifter leave park. Since you mention it is especially so on colder days, I'd venture to say it's sticking because of the cold. You can try to take the center console trim piece off and spray the shift-interlock cable with WD-40 or some time of lubricant, but this may or may not help.

Also, just for the heck of it make sure that the brake lights are going on when you press the brakes on a really cold day. If the brake on/off switch on the pedal is going south, it won't activate the solenoid to release the shifter.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Quote:
Originally Posted by master486
The "sticking" of the shifter is most likely caused by the brake-shift interlock solenoid. Basically there is a small solenoid that activates when the key is on and you press the brake and it allows you to shift out of park. Cold weather and spillage of a sticky substance in just the right place over the center console can cause the solenoid thing to stick and not let the shifter leave park. Since you mention it is especially so on colder days, I'd venture to say it's sticking because of the cold. You can try to take the center console trim piece off and spray the shift-interlock cable with WD-40 or some time of lubricant, but this may or may not help.

Also, just for the heck of it make sure that the brake lights are going on when you press the brakes on a really cold day. If the brake on/off switch on the pedal is going south, it won't activate the solenoid to release the shifter.

you sir are exactly right.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
5th Gear Poster

Are you talking about the thing that wont let it come out of park unless you are on the brakes? If so I dont have that. I can put it in whatever gear I want without touching a thing. (Except the shifter. Duh)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbird97
Are you talking about the thing that wont let it come out of park unless you are on the brakes? If so I dont have that. I can put it in whatever gear I want without touching a thing. (Except the shifter. Duh)
Then your brake-shift interlock is broken or disconnected.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:11 PM

As it was alreadey said if you do get it flushed make sure it is with MERCON V, and not MERCON/DEXTRON III with an additive. That is what we do at our shop and basically the additive keeps the two fluids from screwing (for lack of better word) up one another. And a flush will not change the filter, it is actually pretty easy to do yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in