HalfShaft and Gear Question? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

HalfShaft and Gear Question?

Alright, i have the 3.8, but i have an 8.8 rear end with 3.08 gears. Now would the 8.8 automatically come with bigger halfshafts , despite the fact it is a v6, and are those the same size as v8/sc ? Secondly, I heard that for gear swaps you can move two steps up or down and the computer can handle that difference? So I could swap in 3.55 gears, and not need to burn a chip or anything correct? Also anyone change the 3.08 to 3.27, how much difference that makes, or 3.08 to 3.55, just to hear someones opinion rather than numbers and rpms and what not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
The Left Side (Driver's Side) half shaft of the SC's is bigger/more sturdy than all the rest. This is the only difference in MN12 half shaft sizes.

The answer to your gearing/speedo question is yes and no. Yes, you can change the gearing without a chip reburn but you have to change the speedo gear on the speedo sensor on the extension housing of the tranny. It is fairly easy to do since the gear is heald on the sensor by a small snap ring type clip. The different gears could be purchased from Lonnie at http://www.blueovalchips.com.

To go from 3.08 to 3.55 gears would be a noticable difference, but I am not sure it would be worth the money. . . .that is to say that I don't think it is "that" noticable a difference. Combine it with a good torque converty from dirtyd0g and it will definately be highly noticable, but now you've spend at least $200.

JMO

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

can you make the leap to 3.73 without messing with the ecu and just changing the speedo gears, or would that require a reburn. Also what type of converter from dirtydog would you suggest, the car will probably never even hit 200 hp , so it dosent have to be extreme by any means
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
There is currently a Group Purchase going on for torque converters by dirtyd0g: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=93440

You can call Alan (dirtyd0g) to discuss what he thinks is best (stall wise). I would figure that the basic stock rebuild with a slightly higher stall (2400 - 2500) would be right up your alley for the "fun" aspect. If you contact Alan, he can probably set you up with a nice deal to do the torque converter and rear end at the same time. He does build quality torque convertors and rear ends. . . . .he is also in Batavia, OH. So, judging by your profile it is only about 4 hours away (if I remember the time from Cleveland to Cinci).

Let me know if there are any other questions. . . . .

If I remember correctly you can go to 3.73's by just changing the gear on the speedo sensor, but there is a problem with this gear (on the sensor) being eaten by the tranny because of the size of the gear's teeth. I was reading threads about it somewhere around here. I have only ever riden in a car with 3.73's once and it was really nice off the line, but it was a standard, so that has something to do with it also.

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in