tranny and engine oil cooler? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

tranny and engine oil cooler?

I want to extend the life of my tranny and i feel the thing slipping baddly and i saw the tranny cooler and engine oil cooler i thought that might help but i need some input of what to get and whether its worth it. Also any other suggestions on how to extend the life of my 4r70w would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

To help extend the life of the 4R, I would add a 28K or larger cooler, drain the fluid from the torque converter and transmission, replace the filter and refill w/ Mercon V, not Dexron/Mercon III as the stick probably says. Whether you bypass the built-in heat exchanger on the radiator when adding the cooler is up to you. I personally bypass it when I can.

If your trans is already slipping this may help, then again it may not. How is it slipping? Can you describe what its doing? Something like revving up between the 1-2 shift then banging into 2nd?

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

my dad actually had the car for a little while before me and he took to a tranny place and had the filter changed and put in new tranny fluid. It couple ways it slips is when i floor it the engine will rev for a couple of seconds then kick right into gear or the regular shifts are very lazy feeling not on the mark. The funny part is that my car only has 53k miles on it.

Also in the winter i obviously don't want the tranny to get cooled so what do i do about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, those shift characteristics sound about right for a stock trans. My 95 V8 felt like that too and the only thing that helped was the J-mod. I'd do that, change the fluid to Mercon V, new filter and call it a day, as I'd bet that the place that changed the fluid put Mercon III back in it since that's what most books call for aparently.

As far as the cooler goes, you could run it in-line w/ the heat exchanger built into the radiator to help it warm up on those cold NY days. I know that the B&M Supercooler I bought has a bypass in it that allows the fluid to flow straight through w/o being cooled until the fluid reaches a certain temp. All I know is that a cooler will go a long way towards extending the life of your transmission. Besides, I'd rather spend $60 on a cooler now, then over $1k on a trans

Take a look at the tech articles for info on the Jmod. It's not as hard as it sounds as long as you take your time. I know some people don't like opening up the trans. for fear of messing something up, but heck, if I can do it, then you can, lol...

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in