differential alignment question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

differential alignment question

Just installed my Mark 8 pumpkin (new 3.55 trac loc) and was wondering-- How can you insure, with all the slop in the four mounting bolts, that it is in a straight line with the drive shaft?
Edit:
To clarify, - I can ball park the up and down pinion angle, but I'm worried about the left and right orientation.
For example, how would I know if the center line of the pinion shaft is pointed at the left front tire- the right front tire or the center line of the car? What's the trick to aim the pumpkin in the right direction?

'95 LX 4.6L/ '99 mustang front calipers/ '96 t-bird rear calipers/Baumann transmission/BOC chip by Lonnie/ 225.55.16 Yokohama's on Borbet 5 spoke/poly IRS/ Eibach 1.5" drop/ Lincoln pumpkin with 3.55 trac-loc/ Lincoln rear upper and lower control arms/ rebuilding '94 Mark Vlll eng. for swap/ -Edit- Engine rebuild now finished by Panhandle Performance (2-16-07)/ swap on soon - but needing to get P.I. torque converter- MSD window switch for '98 IMRC'S- rebuild current Baumann Trans--etc.

Last edited by Thundernerd; 03-16-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Veteran Poster

I just bolt them in never seen enough play to worry me

93 LX: 89 SC rear sway, Tokico drop kit, JBA headers,ported and polished Edle Brock intake,ported e7's, E303 cam, Cold air intake,75mm TB,03 Lmaf, TwEECed T4M0, smog pump & ac delete, under drive pulleys, msd 6a, 1.7 ratio roller rockers, electric fan, 3.27 trac lok, 5spd, aluminum drive shaft, digital cluster converted to analog and it works!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok- I think I've solved the problem.
And I hope this helps future pumpkin swapers.
Do not remove the insulator bracket from the IRS sub frame when removing the pumpkin.
Instead, remove the two cross bolts that fasten the rear of the pumpkin to the insulator, and then of course, the front two pumpkin mounting bolts. (the insulator is a factory installed datum point)
When re-installing the pumpkin, secure the rear cross bolts before tightening the front mounting bolts.
I'm sure this is probably commom sense to most of ya'll, but wasn't to me at the time.
I reinstalled the original insulator using the old wear marks on the sub frame for line up, and it now seems to me that car runs much more smoother at speed.
I really wish that there were stickies on some of the more common swaps that we do to our birds.
For example, the lower rear Lincoln LCA swap not only needs perches, but an axel pull, a special torx holding tool to achieve proper removal and then the reinstallation of front bushing torque, a unique lower front bolt removal and reinstall sequence, Lincoln shock bolts, Lincoln short outer bolts and some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting 'cuss my butt's numb from doing a super coupe rear sway bar swap that may have been superflous ->
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=96765
-- but I'm still happy about all the things I've learned here and I'm glad I'm a member- just please, never yell at me the "DO A SEARCH!" response when I start asking questions about my DOHC swap. --Remember, there's no sticky or tech article on this swap either.

'95 LX 4.6L/ '99 mustang front calipers/ '96 t-bird rear calipers/Baumann transmission/BOC chip by Lonnie/ 225.55.16 Yokohama's on Borbet 5 spoke/poly IRS/ Eibach 1.5" drop/ Lincoln pumpkin with 3.55 trac-loc/ Lincoln rear upper and lower control arms/ rebuilding '94 Mark Vlll eng. for swap/ -Edit- Engine rebuild now finished by Panhandle Performance (2-16-07)/ swap on soon - but needing to get P.I. torque converter- MSD window switch for '98 IMRC'S- rebuild current Baumann Trans--etc.

Last edited by Thundernerd; 03-22-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I'm changing the differential bushings...

Should I be aware of aligning something to something specific when i do? I'm new to do things like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

If you're talking about changing only the front differential bushings, and, as long as you don't disturb the rear mounting, I'd say no.
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12p...S_install.html

Last edited by Thundernerd; 03-22-2007 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in