New Transmission time! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
New Transmission time!

Ok; after much reading, and printing of threads, I'm finally ready to do the trans swap. Here's what I (think I) found...

I got a great deal on a 02 Gran marquis transmission, partno 1W7P-7000-BA
It has 22000 miles on it, car was side/rear impact, no damage. looks brand new
inside and out...still has the 'special surprise toy' inside the pan.

Now the fun stuff; The parts I need to change are:

The MLPS
The VSS
Repin the connector for the EEC

According to the articles, I will not need to replace the TSS or solenoids, as I have a '96. Is this Correct?

I'm also going to use the TC from the GM; its an 11 1/4" unit, and it's new, and mine is very not...Will I need a different Flexplate? From what I've read, it should match up with my original...Also, is the original '96 a good core to have built?

I know I need mercon V; but how much? I've used ~12 quarts for changing fluid, but this one is on my engine stand, and is now dry...also, how long can I leave it dry before I cause problems?

The valve body...Since this is going on a 200k mi. motor, should I worry about the jmod? I'll be changing the engine out as soon as it blows, with an explorer or MK VII motor, and will jmod it then, or buy a valvebody from Darrin. As far as I can tell, this one should have all the updates, pretty much...

I also found another one, with 12k mi, but the bellhousing is cracked; would it be worthwhile to swap those parts into my old '96 case, or maybe weld up the bellhousing? (I have 2 Cougars...)

Thanks, everyone. The answers to these particular questions I couldn't find with search...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If it has an 1.25 converter you need to measure the tailshaft housing to make sure that is ins't the long style. Just measure yours and then that one and compare them.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Darrin...I already have that planned; It looks like the right one, but with only an inch difference, looks can be deceiving. This was definitely not a police car; really nice GM with all the options...some poor grandpa pulled into traffic...thankfully no blood inside; that always gives me a bad vibe...

BTW, there's no prices on your website; How much would you charge to mod my valvebody? PM me if that's not public info... I wish I could afford one of your transmissions, but this only set me back a few hundred.

Also, were the rest of my statements correct, about the solenoids and stuff?

Also, is there a difference in the tailhousing bushing diameter?

Is there a preferred cooler that you recommend, and can I buy that thru you?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well the output shaft from the GM has 8 teeth instead of the 7 that you have so you will need to get a different speedo gear from the VSS. Other than that, if it fits then use it.

For the VB, if you pay all shipping and I am just doing the VB without the rest of the kit, other than the gaskets, then it will be $120. How that works is that you ship me a VB and I take it completely apart, clean and inspect it and modify it to what you want and ship it back to you.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 AM
PostWhore

Not to hijack the thread, but is there any gain to using the longer tailshaft housing? I remember reading it has a smaller diameter bushing or something which = can handle more shaft rpm? Probably something to do with the surface speed of the smaller dia. Shaft?

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Darrin, I can't afford to have the valve body rebuilt now, just so I don't leave you hanging...That's a great price, and I hope to have you build a trans for my black car as soon as I can afford it.

I'm going to throw this in tomorrow, and hope for the best...

The tail housing is 10.5" to the end of seal, just like mine, (If there was still a seal, that is...) So it should fit.

The solenoids seem to have the same resistances, so repinning the connector is the only issue.

Can I repin my MLPS connector to match the new one on the GM tranny? or is that asking for problems? The one at advanced looks like crap compared to the one on it now...This new trans is pristine; looks like factory new, except for the light dust on the outside.

EDIT: Heh, the MLPS is completely different; look at them... The newer one is digital, and has a ton more pins.

Anyone got any advice on getting the dipstick out of my old trans without killing it?

Between the 8 tooth gear on the shaft, the 235/60 tires, and 3.08 tranny, I'm going to have to do some serious calculations to figure out what the speedo is doing; I can get the real speed from my GPS, but the EEC is gonna freak! It already doesn't know to shift till redline, since the 3.27/3.08 swap; is the 7/8 tooth towards normal , or the other way?

I was hoping to hit 200k before the swap, but I just finished a major project, and wont have the PC boards I designed for a week; this is the only time I can take vacation till summer, it looks like...Any one know what processor is in our EEC, or have a dead one they would give away? I have an intern for a while, with little to do...Are the EEC's the same for V8/V6 engines, with different programming? The boneyard has dozens of 6 cylinders...

Last edited by Grog6; 07-23-2008 at 09:29 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

First, spend the $30 for a new MLPS. Its very unwise to risk ruining your transmission with the old one. Unwise is the most friendly word that I could come up with for this and it really doesn't convey the proper message.

Second, the new style MLPS won't work. They are very different.

I don't know what you are saying about the speedo gear or on the EEC's. Confusing words there.

But you have the right general idea going on.

Darrin

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unwise is a Great word...

Coupled with your avatar!

I'll replace it, for sure.

Thanks for the help Darrin; I'm off to slay grendel...I mean, swap this transmission out...

I've got 4 days off, and plan to be done in a few hours; that means I'll be (hopefully) tightening the last bolts sunday night, after dark! (lol)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All is well in transmissionland...

Two day's worth of hammering on my new 02 GranMarquis transmission, and not a leak, noise, or complaint.

The only issue I have is the speedo is off considerably, ~15mph, but the neat thing is the speed limiter no longer functions, at least at any speed I'm interested in driving.

I need a tune to set the shift points, because the 3-4 shift wont happen till redline, at higher power settings, unless I let off. Of course, under any legal circumstance, I will not be driving at redline in 3rd...or 4th...

Thanks to everyone for their help; this swap would not have been possible without the info here, and the dedicated individuals who spoke up when I was about to screw up.

Darrin, I owe you a beer, at least, and will be buying mods from you in the future, for the black car; I won't be poor forever... I'm currently paying for my house, and my mom's house, and other related stuff, that keeps me from having too much fun; but family always comes first.

One note for the non-professionals: If you go to the boneyard to get a late model transmission, you tell them you have the car you are buying parts from...that way you have a warranty. If you tell them you're swapping an 02 tranny into a 96 cougar, they want nothing to do with it. If it is bad, you can swap all the parts back, and get another one, unless your mouth is as big as mine is...

As an electronics/computer geek, I can truthfully say: I have never been this sore in my life!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Questions about later transmissions...

Guys, I have driven my ride for the last month, and have some questions that I hope someone knows the answers to...

My 02 GM tranny is working great, but I've noticed some issues, and wonder if a tune will fix them, or if I may eventually have problems...

Shifting is usually great, especially if I'm driving normally, i.e. accelerating hard, high speed (interstate) or on/off ramps.

If I'm driving gently, mom in car, GF, boss, etc. with me, then I get a strange 3-4 shift.

It is almost as if it is in neutral for a second, before it decides to shift.

If I pop into the throttle, it doesn't act like a neutral drop, it just seems to not have the converter locked, and will shift, then lock.

Could this have to do with the 3.08 diff, (from 3.27 stock), and smaller tires (235-60/15s) throwing off the speed sensors, and be correctable by a tune?

Or am I just hallucinating, wanting to do more to my car...

BTW, is manual shifting as bad for an 02 transmission?
what about WOT 3-4 shifts?
WOT 4-3 shifts?
WOT 4-2 shifts? (still break things, or did they fix that?)

This swap is well worth the effort; my 200k mi+ motor is still a beast...now that she has some legs under her...

EDIT: This is due to changes in the Valve body to try to reduce the problems with the 3-4 WOT shift; it isn't a problem.

Last edited by Grog6; 02-27-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: more info
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
there is a link somewere that i found and it can be fixed with some tuning i ran into that on my buddys car something about a calibration issue on the 2001 and up Vb with the older eec u need to up the line pressure on the 3-4 shift, cause it will neutral out for a second till u get this adjusted it was on a crown vic website

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, RobertP, that was exactly it; I searched "line pressure" and "3-4" and found the other posts!

I always try search, but line pressure wasn't one of the things I suspected...live and learn.

I guess I go talk to Lonnie...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Thanks, RobertP, that was exactly it; I searched "line pressure" and "3-4" and found the other posts!

I always try search, but line pressure wasn't one of the things I suspected...live and learn.

I guess I go talk to Lonnie...
The line pressure is one of the fixes, but adding the 4r70w value file from the SCT PRP fixes the problem completely.

I don't usually double post, but this was the best tranny thread I could easily find.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Gee Grog, you're just the thread resurrecter these days, aren't you?

Zombie wars are coming..... Zombie wars are coming..... Zombie wars are coming.....

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Gee Grog, you're just the thread resurrecter these days, aren't you?

Zombie wars are coming..... Zombie wars are coming..... Zombie wars are coming.....
I'm having problems, and all the good info has dropped way down the list by now.

That's how I saw your thread, lol.

I did the same thing as you, btw; I slipped it hard, it had issues that went away, but when I disassembled it, it was wasted. And I had twisted the driveshaft inside itself, lol. (That was Lazarus)

I'm ready for the Zombie Wars, although you never have enough ammo...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in