Yay or Nay - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Marl Send a message via Yahoo to Marl
Yay or Nay

I found this on ebay and I was thinking about getting it for my Cougar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Do ya'll think it will fit. It is a/an 8.8

1995 4.6L XR7 Dual Guage Pod with Oil and Temp., 255/60R15 Yokohama Avid S/T's, Screamin' Demon Coil's with Live Wires, K & N, modified stock oil pressure gauge, air silencer removed, stock air box, trans and tune by Darrin, TC by Dirtydog

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
Spend your money on your ride and not your girl. It'll last longer and fewer people have been in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Nay...3.55's on an n/a car suck. Go 3.73's get ahold of me I'll hook you up with a set cheap. Might want to ask darrin if he has any he is closer to you.
Alan
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

id go for it if yo want 3.55's but i would really look for 3.73's 3.90's or 4.10's but thats my taste. My 95 v8 had 3.27's in it stock and going to 3.73's it was a great upgrade but i think going to 3.55's would be very mild.

If you want 3.55's go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well I was worried about going to 3.73's being it's still a daily driver....

1995 4.6L XR7 Dual Guage Pod with Oil and Temp., 255/60R15 Yokohama Avid S/T's, Screamin' Demon Coil's with Live Wires, K & N, modified stock oil pressure gauge, air silencer removed, stock air box, trans and tune by Darrin, TC by Dirtydog

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
Spend your money on your ride and not your girl. It'll last longer and fewer people have been in it!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Acording to the little tire/wheel calculator I would be going from about 2k rpms at 80 to about 2600 @ 80. I know the performance benefit would be huge going to the 3.73's. Especially over the 3.08's I got now.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl View Post
Acording to the little tire/wheel calculator I would be going from about 2k rpms at 80 to about 2600 @ 80. I know the performance benefit would be huge going to the 3.73's. Especially over the 3.08's I got now.
You can't possibly be going 2k at 80 mph, even with 3.08 gears.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

3.73's are perfect for a daily driver. stock i would go 70mph @ 2000 rpm and with 3.73's i went 70mph @ 2250rpm. Not TOO much of a jump but that just gives you an idea on how little it affects it.

here the same seller has one for 20 bucks starting bid ending in less than 2 hours.

check it out and return it if it doesnt say 3.73
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

The calculator is very close. It's actually about 2100 or 2200

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM

3.55's will be a decent jump for someone that has 3.08's. You'll definitely notice the difference, and it will still be very streetable. 3.73's would be an even bigger jump, and the modular motors still seem to do fine with gas mileage even at slightly higher RPMs.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
The calculator is very close. It's actually about 2100 or 2200

Decisions decisions. It would be handy if I could pick the gears up cheap. But I don't know how long it will be till I can get the trackloc and setup kit.......

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
3.55's will be a decent jump for someone that has 3.08's. You'll definitely notice the difference, and it will still be very streetable. 3.73's would be an even bigger jump, and the modular motors still seem to do fine with gas mileage even at slightly higher RPMs.
I average between 16 and 18 mpg now. On the road I get about 21 max.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Has anyone had any issues picking up used gears? Also, Alan. Are yours used?

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I average between 16 and 18 mpg now. On the road I get about 21 max.
Do you have a heavy foot? I hope so with those numbers.

And used gears are fine as long as they are properly set up.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I do have a bit of a heavy foot. But that's about all my brother got when he owned it before me and his foot isn't quite as heavy as mine. I check it almost every tank. The last tank was 16.8

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

used gears are ok as long as they arent chipped or broken of course. the last rear end i had build had used gears in them. it made a funny whne for the first 30 miles but after that it was fine.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Just curious, but how many miles do have on the car? The reason I ask is I wonder if your oxygen sensors are original or older than 100k miles. Also, have you cleaned your MAF sensor lately and done plugs, wires, filters, and checked for vacuum leaks? I think you should be seeing a lot better mileage than that.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
used gears are ok as long as they arent chipped or broken of course. the last rear end i had build had used gears in them. it made a funny whne for the first 30 miles but after that it was fine.
Thats good news.

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
Just curious, but how many miles do have on the car? The reason I ask is I wonder if your oxygen sensors are original or older than 100k miles. Also, have you cleaned your MAF sensor lately and done plugs, wires, filters, and checked for vacuum leaks? I think you should be seeing a lot better mileage than that.
As far as I know the o2 sensors are the originals as is the fuel filter. I plan on replacing them all soon. The maf is also going to be cleaned again soon. The stock one died about a year ago. When I replaced it the mileage did not improve.

Edit: The car as about 137k on it now

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I was also thinking of picking up this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=012

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Quote:
I was also thinking of picking up this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=012
That I was told wont work , by the way I placed a bid on the 3.73's .

You need one from a cobra IRS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6030&rd=1&rd=1

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchevez View Post
That I was told wont work , by the way I placed a bid on the 3.73's .

You need one from a cobra IRS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6030&rd=1&rd=1

Aww you d!ck lmao The Cobra IRS would be nice to have.

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Quote:
Aww you d!ck lmao The Cobra IRS would be nice to have.

Lol , Hey you could still out bid me my max bid is 21.00

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Banned

you know he has about 4 of them for sale right? lol
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:

No I didn't notice that actually.

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

good job now you have to buy it for 21.50 and cj can bid on another one for 20
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Quote:
lol , just noticed !

Might as well get you a set Mike .

I took a ride in a friends 5.0 lx stick with trickflow heads intake , headers .
That 5.0 was fast hopefully he will go to Cal Speedway the 7th .
I'm guessing hes car will do mid 12's or better .

I realized that I need some better gears !

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
good job now you have to buy it for 21.50 and cj can bid on another one for 20

I never said I was my mothers smartest child........

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchevez View Post
Might as well get you a set Mike
Id prefer 3.90's or maybe some 4.10's after owning 3.73's

so get me 3.90's lol
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
I never said I was my mothers smartest child........
shoot im not the brightest bulb in our family as well
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

It would appear that we now have a bit of a bidding war on our hands....Don't worry cjchevez I won't out bid you again. I don't want them that bad yet..... I just thought that if I could pick them up quickly and cheeply now it would be nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in