TCCoA Forums banner

1996 V8 Tbird

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  greenmachine 
#1 ·
Is there a kit made for my year Tbird that would lower it? Not looking for a major lowering look, just a mild lowered look if that is possible Is there a plug and play so to speak kit? I assume I would need new springs/shocks all the way around. Is there a kit that can be purchased. Any other suspension parts need mod'd for this type of mod?
Right now I am all stock.

#5 ·
All you need are a set of good, quality lowering springs - just the springs! You shouldn't need to change any other suspension parts unless the lowering springs have an extreme amount of drop, then you might need shorter stabilizer-bar end-links. I have a set of the 1" drop Vogtland sport springs on my '97 T-Bird sport and can personally vouch that they are excellent springs - the ride is fantastic and the car handles very well! I didn't need to change any other suspension parts either when I put them on.

Dennis

#6 ·
Well I have a busted spring and the rear shocks are toast in the cold. The vavles in them or what ever goes funky and the rear end falls about 2 inches and it feels like I have no shocks. Once it is warmer out, say 40, they start working again. This is winter # 2 that the rear shocks have done this. I figured since that was the issue in the back and the car has 122k on it anyways may as well do shocks and springs and that kit looked to be one that would work.

#8 · (Edited)
Get some new rear spring cups from Laurel Mountain Mustang. Get the ones for a Cobra (See the link Below). They're $19.95 per side. ~$40 for the set. - Less than half the price SCP charges. I'm pretty sure this is the per side price. You can call them and ask.

http://www.laurelmountainmustangpar...cobra-poly-rear-spring-insulators-p-2115.html

Go Vogtland they are the best.

Here are mine with the new poly spring cups. You can see how ratty the old spring cups look after 200,000 miles.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
who sells the upper spring mounts? The cuos are for the rear only. And this Vogtland set dropping car a little more then an inch will mean not other suspension parts need replaced, adjusted or anything, can just stay stock?

Application Guide for a 1996 FORD THUNDER BIRD
Make Model Suspension Kit Years Drop in
Inches Drop in
Millimeters Adjustable Part Number MSRP
FORD THUNDER BIRD "Ford Thunder Bird, SC, V8 " 1989-1998 1.2 30 Non-Adjustable 963058 $499.99
FORD THUNDER BIRD "Ford Thunder Bird, SC, V8 T-bird Club special" 1989-1998 1.2 30 Non-Adjustable 963058B $549.99

What is the diff between the 499 and 549 set???? found here...
http://www.vogtland-na.com/sportsuspension.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.