TCCoA Forums banner

Q: Do I need my fender liners on a Tbird Track car?

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  S4gunn 
#1 ·
In a 95 Ford Thunderbird LX that will be a dedicated track car, is there any reason to keep the fender lines?

Looking at the shop manual, I don't see that the fender liners are protecting much.

Q: Please let me know if I've missed something and the liners are needed to protect some electrical wires or something I actually NEED in a track car.

It's not much of a weight savings but I'll take any pound I can shave off of this beast. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
-g

PS. Anyone need fender liners? If so PM me. I'm just trying to lower my 24 Hours of Lemons $500 budget here.

#2 ·
You live near SF, East Bay? I could use a passenger side fender liner. When my lower ball joint popped out, the tired rubbed the hell out of mine, haha. PM sent. :)

#3 ·
You have the cruise control and ABS on the LH side and on the RH side you have the charcoal canister and vacuum reservoir and the associated lines along with the air silencer. I would expect increased chances of sucking up water with the fender liners out. You may have already changed the induction system though.

#7 ·
I pulled them off late this afternoon and in addition to losing 3.3Lbs per fender liner removed, I also found over a pound of dirt behind that spongy material that separates the wheel well from the door gap.

Thanks, guys!
-g

#9 ·
Hi

Loose the piece under the front bumper cover.
The headlight header is a good piece to sell.

Get a power steer cooler if you don't have one.
Also cover pump opening with a rag over the cap.

:wavey:
* I check to see if we need the stuff under the front bumper cover. I assume it's some styrofoam bit and there's an underlying metal bumper as well, right?
* I've already ordered a PS cooler and it's install is on the TO DO list.
* "opening in the PS pump" I'll have to check that out. You mean so when it blows it doesn't spray everywhere right?

* What's the headlight header? I went through the shop manual and the only thing that sounds close to what you've mentioned is the "photocell / amplifier" that seems to control the Daytime running lights. I'm not sure this car even has that but can you clarify things here?

Thanks,
-g

#10 ·
for a track only car, depending on how much time you have, and the tools you can use, there is a ton of weight to be removed off these cars.

you just have to think outside the box a little,.

#11 ·
for a track only car, depending on how much time you have, and the tools you can use, there is a ton of weight to be removed off these cars.
you just have to think outside the box a little,.
Hi

He will have to keep much of the front body structure. For support of the structure.
So he can't loose too much.

The head light header. You don't need head lights correct?

Yes, over the vent hole of the pump cap.

Some Thunderbird's came with power steer coolers. You could get it in without cost.
That's were mine came from.

:wavey:

#13 ·
While we are discussing weight loss for a track car, is there any reason I may want to keep the underhood heat liner?

If I understand things correctly, the downsides of NO liner are:
* hood will become very hot to touch if I don't get some airflow underneath the hood.
* paint could start to discolor (don't care for me).

The upside is weight loss

I probably won't screw with it until I decide what to do with the hood (cut outs, ghetto cowl hood, or maybe just standoffs) but I just wanted to poll you folks.
Thanks,
-g

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.