TCCoA Forums banner

bolt pattern swap really worth it??

6K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  XR7-4.6 
#1 ·
Ok sorry if is dumb question most of my life I been around chevy guys (granpa,dad) so this is my first ford I love the Thunderbird lines (89-97) so I'm tryng to restore mine and make some upgrades and I see some people around make the mustang wheel conversion I read some treads and is not too hard to do it but the main question is if really worth it do the converssion and what's the advantage and thanks for the help

#2 ·
2 big advantages of doing the hub swap to Mustang pattern - a large wheel selection and easier brake upgrade.

There aren't that many wheel options available for MN12's - especially compared to Mustangs - but there are still good. Check out www.thecustomwheelshop.com for a good selection that are a direct bolt-on.

Brake upgrade can be done, just search "Cobra brake swap" and should be able to find the details.

#3 ·
id do it...its so hard to find nice rims with a 5x108 bolt pattern, unless you wanna buy them new...pfft new,rip off

#4 ·
I am in the process now. Kinda of a pain but will be worth it.

I bought a used set of 98 Cobra rims for $175 bucks cannot beat that.

#5 ·
X3 on above advises

#6 ·
x4 - I've got cobra hubs/rims/brakes and I would do it on any other bird from now on. Can't be much harder than the rear disc conversion and the sport/M8 swap on the front that I did on my 94.

Plus, parts aren't THAT expensive on all accounts.

#7 ·
It's hard to find good wheels in our bolt pattern, but they're out there. I only had to search for three months before I found my wheels, then I had to jump through hoops for another month to actually get them. :rolleyes:

After what I went through, I'd just do the swap if I could do it over again. You won't regret it.

#8 ·
Yes because I like the bullit style and they sell a set from a 06 at $175 a nice lady. She say they were from her boyfriend lol.

#10 ·
Really what's the problem with them?

#14 ·
Yes are the same as the conversion02 photo gallery they look great are they 05 06??

#15 ·
Are you asking if those are 05-06 Bullitts? Aren't all 05-10 17x8 Bullitts of the same (i.e. these)

I believe these are the rims I have - CLICKY

BTW - the problem with the rims sticking out too far after a hubswap is when you're putting on 9 or 10 inch rims, especially those that are deep dish. Deep dish look great, but you won't want to go with a 10 inch rim unless you like how they stick out. Mine stick out a little and they're only 8 inch wide.

Here's mine, taken with my phone (sorry about the quality).

#19 ·
I'm running 255/50/17 BFG KDWS tires on 17x8 Bullitts. You could put any size tire you want on an 8 inch rim, within reason. I probably wouldn't go much bigger than a 255. I've seen 275s on an 8 inch rim. I personally though it looked like crap, but that's my opinion. There's a couple threads on this topic.

They're not much taller at all. 1/10th of an inch taller to be exact.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
215/70-15 5.9in 13.4in 26.9in 84.4in 751 0.0%
255/50-17 5.0in 13.5in 27.0in 84.9in 746 0.7%

#20 ·
Well I'm going to get thar wheels and do the hub swap and I deal withthat later thanks a lot for all uor help guys I really appreciated this is a great place full of nice people

#25 ·
Same with me, but the wheels I got have a 30/40 offset. Barely noticeable.

I don't see how anyone can consider this a hard upgrade. The hardest part for me was finding someone to press the new hubs and bearings into the rear spindle in a timely manner, and redrill the Tbird rotors (I've since upgraded to Cobra's). It's pretty basic work other than that.

#27 ·
I didnt realize my 99-04 Bullitt wheels stuck out any. I was always under the impression that the offset on 05+ wheels made them sit in even further than 99-04. The reason I think this is that I have seen 05+ Bullitts on SN95 mustangs and it looks ridiculous because the wheels are so far in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.