TCCoA Forums banner

fluid level question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  crash00527 
#1 ·
When I pull out the transmission dipstick, with the engine cold, the level is up to the end of the plastic indicator. When I check it after driving awhile, the level is just up to the top of the cold mark.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? The level should go higher when hot?

Should I drain some fluid out? If necessary, could I jack up the front of the car, and drain from the torque convertor?

#2 ·
When hot, the transmission fluid is captivated up inside the transmission - some of it, anyway.

So the measured level will be lower.

But that's funny - I was always taught to measure tranny fluid while running with engine at operating temperature. I'll have to check the owner's manual on mine again.

RwP

#3 ·
These measure overfull when not running; but that's not how you check them...

All of mine will be on the cold line when running in park or neutral, and shifted thru the gears until each engages.

After driving, it can be foamed slightly, so can read high.

You are supposed to let it sit for a few minutes after driving, to let any foam settle.

If it's on the cold when cold, mine will be on the hot line when hot.

After wasting one tranny with a bad driveshaft and then tailshaft bushing, I keep a close eye on fluid levels, lol.

#4 ·
yea def keep a close eyes on tranny fluid and oil fluid. like a ding bat i hit a tiny snow bank while parking. that caused my external tranny cooler line to loosen up a bit and lose ooooh id say about 1/2 qt of fluid lol

i noticed it in front of my house 3 days later when i saw fluid in my driveway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.