Wheel adaptors... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Wheel adaptors...

this might be an odd question and if so, dont flame me too bad, but will wheel adaptors like these work on T-birds so I can get wheels that are in 5 x 4.5 or 5 x 4.75 sizes. I dont wanna hassle with changing out the factory 4.25s so if these work, I'll end up doing this so I can get some different wheels.

here is what I'm looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0714944&rd=1,1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Will they work? Probably. Would I use them? no. They'd move your wheel out at least an inch, so you'd have to find wheels that had the correct offset to compensate for the adapter. And I'm not sure of the safety either.

If you want to use 5x4.50" wheels you can do a hub swap. Use 99-04 Mustang hubs in front, and Cobra hubs in rear (The cobras that have IRS). Its supposed to be a pretty simple swap, there are several on here who have done it.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 PM
6th Gear Poster

Bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Will they work? Probably. Would I use them? no. They'd move your wheel out at least an inch, so you'd have to find wheels that had the correct offset to compensate for the adapter. And I'm not sure of the safety either.

If you want to use 5x4.50" wheels you can do a hub swap. Use 99-04 Mustang hubs in front, and Cobra hubs in rear (The cobras that have IRS). Its supposed to be a pretty simple swap, there are several on here who have done it.

yeah, but thats more hassle than I want to deal with. I know thats not hard, but again, i'm just lazy. I get to repaint the damn car AGAIN so thats enough work as it is. I found a company that makes these in a smaller offest (not nearly as wide as these on ebay-that was just an example.

This guy makes 3/4 spacers that are not that expensive. I figure if I can get the wheels with the correct offset, then these should work.
http://www.skulte.com/index.php/cPath/21
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
I don't get it....Why ask if you already have your mind made up???

Its not really necessary...For what they cost you can do a hubswap or simply purchase wheels already casted for the Tbird.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaz101 View Post
I don't get it....Why ask if you already have your mind made up???

Its not really necessary...For what they cost you can do a hubswap or simply purchase wheels already casted for the Tbird.

Brad
well, I didnt say my mind was totally made up. If I have to change out the spindles, I will. I've got the resources to do it but its just not something I want to hassle with. I'd rather invest money elsewhere on the car. If I dont go with this, I found some Centerline wheels that are made for our birds but they are 15s so I'll just lower the car.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
5th Gear Poster

I know this is an old post but I'm gonna bring it back from the dead to add a point. Spacers are used in many off-road and racing applications. Make sure that you tighten these to at least 100ft/lbs of torque. Put some Loctite in your factory studs to prevent the adaptor lug nuts from backing off. Remember that if you are using an adaptor that adds a new set of studs, you may run into one problem...your factory studs are 1.5" long...your adaptor may be 3/4" or 1 1/4"...so you need to cut the extra off so the wheel will mount flush. To do this, measure out your new length. Mark it. Screw your lugs on. Use a cut-off wheel to shave off the tip. Then unscrew your lug nuts. This will rethread the tip and remove any burrs. A lot of people overlook this step when considering adaptors. Don't be scared just because you have never done it.

If you can't hear it before you see it...what's the point?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

These adapters are total weak sauce for these cars. They push the wheel outside of the fenderline making the fit less than desirable for most enthusiests of this car.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
And if loctite is the only thing preventing you from certain death it's not a good idea.

-Matt
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:41 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
And if loctite is the only thing preventing you from certain death it's not a good idea.
Well that was a pretty naive thing to say. Do you use Loctite in your studs? No. Do your wheels fall off? Hopefully not. Is it required? No. The only thing that keeps you and a person with wheel adaptors from impending death is a torque wrench. Now as to the undesirable widened stance...I have no comment because I have never seen them on a Bird.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:27 PM
PostWhore

There are a few aftermarket very high offset 5 on 114.3 mm wheels available now, intended for specific Asian car applications that require them. So it is possible to get the tires tucked under with bolt-on adapters on an MN-12, it would just require some research and proper parts selection.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
There are a few aftermarket very high offset 5 on 114.3 mm wheels available now, intended for specific Asian car applications that require them. So it is possible to get the tires tucked under with bolt-on adapters on an MN-12, it would just require some research and proper parts selection.

cheers
Ed N.
And that would be a great recipe/description of cobbled up junk. The individual would have more money wrapped up into the setup than the cost of a hubswap & wheels or something else that was actually meant to bolt on to the car.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
PostWhore

That's it exactly ... in the end it makes more sense to do it properly, either change the bolt pattern on the car, or get wheels with 5 on 108 pattern. As with many things in life, just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.

cheers
Ed N.

Yes Yes Yes...

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:22 PM
5th Gear Poster

Anybody looking for info on offset...Google "wheel offset calculator." It let's you compare your old wheel to the new wheel including width and offset. Then it calculates inner and outer clearances. As far as price goes...adaptors are cheapest, then redrilling hubs and rotors/drums, then hub swap. As far as safety goes...hub swap, redrill, adaptors. Pick your poison. If I had the cash to do the hubswap, I would certainly do it. But last time I checked, it costs over $2k. That's a lot of money to spend just to drop another $2k on rims.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Try again. I spent just under $1600 for my hubswap parts, wheels and tires together BRAND NEW from Ford.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 05-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Yea...Or just spend a whopping $680 on a set of 18X9 painted speedstars or Talon/Racecrafts. DONE!!

Adapters should not even be considered an option IMO. If thats the way someone insists they need to go then they need medication.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in