backspacing? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

backspacing?

hi everyone

I have a 94 thunderbird (4.6L car) and plan on swaping brake components over to mustang brakes to use factory bullitt style rims and also to get bigger than stock brakes, could anyone let me know exactly what parts I will need for the conversion (my car has rear drums so I need to pick up anything additionaly thats require to go from drum to disc) I have a chance to buy either the 2001 style of bullitt rims or the 2005 and up style bullitts, which would have the proper backspacing to fit my thunderbird? Also I have a chance to buy some BF goodrich comp T/A's in 255/50/17 size, will this size work on on the bird without rubbing?

thanks for the help, much appreciated

Ron

P.S. was also wondering if the IRS on the thunderbird shares any components with the cobra mustang IRS? would be nice to get polyurethane bushings etc for it, also would be nice to be able to use a 31 spine diffrential if there are rear axles that fit the bird and are 31 spline?)

Last edited by 2nazty; 06-28-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
get the SN95 rims.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:24 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
If youre switching to rear discs you need the spindles, rotors, calipers, lines, and parking break cables from a disc brake car. Im not sure what all you might need to go bigger after that, or if you'd need all those pieces. Buts thats what you'd need to get it done in stock form. If you intend to do a hub swap to the mustang bolt pattern i believe that you need the mustang hubs then press them into the spindles. Search "mustang hub swap" or "hub swap". I cant imagine that there isnt a complete discription lurking out there in the forum.
did i miss anything?

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Lots of information on both the hub swap, the rear disc swap available here. If you want to use the stock rear rotors in addition to new bolt pattern drilled the hub bore needs enlarged. You can get brackets to allow the use of the larger Cobra rear discs, might be easier than dealing with the MN12 discs. If the 05 wheels are the factory 17x8 then they have 6.295 backspacing which is fine. If the 05 wheels are 18x8.5 then you will likely need a spacer for the front. Aftermarket ones probably have too much backspacing also and need spacers.

I like the looks of the pre 05 Bullitt wheels. The newer ones the spokes are too flat. I get lots of 05 Rustang owners with wheel envy seeing my shiny sculpted chrome bullitts and they have the flat spoke black or silver painted ones. Okay, maybe not, but I did have someone come up to and comment on them and want to buy them for his car.

The center section of the Cobra IRS is the same (except aluminum) but that is really it. Not much if anything else is usable. The axles are not the right length.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
Lots of information on both the hub swap, the rear disc swap available here. If you want to use the stock rear rotors in addition to new bolt pattern drilled the hub bore needs enlarged. You can get brackets to allow the use of the larger Cobra rear discs, might be easier than dealing with the MN12 discs. If the 05 wheels are the factory 17x8 then they have 6.295 backspacing which is fine. If the 05 wheels are 18x8.5 then you will likely need a spacer for the front. Aftermarket ones probably have too much backspacing also and need spacers.

I like the looks of the pre 05 Bullitt wheels. The newer ones the spokes are too flat. I get lots of 05 Rustang owners with wheel envy seeing my shiny sculpted chrome bullitts and they have the flat spoke black or silver painted ones. Okay, maybe not, but I did have someone come up to and comment on them and want to buy them for his car.

The center section of the Cobra IRS is the same (except aluminum) but that is really it. Not much if anything else is usable. The axles are not the right length.

hey

thanks for the info, I agree about the 05 and up bullitts having too flat spokes compared to the 2001 style ones, I can buy some OEM ones used for 500 CND (either style) I can also get a good deal on some 255/50/17 BF goodrich comp t/a's almost brand new for cheap so need to know if that tire size will fit my 94 bird ok, my ride hieght is stock currently but I would like to get lowering springs if its possible to run those with a tire so tall and wide, if anyone has an idea would love to know for sure. so given the cobra IRS and the bird use the same center section does that mean I can use polyurethane bushings for the cobra on my t-birds IRS? and are there any 31 spline axle shafts avail that will fit the t-bird (OEM or aftermarket?) I plan on putting an all aluminum 4.6L SOHC with cams and a eaton blower in my car so would like to have as beefy a rear end as possible

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in