245/60/15 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

245/60/15

In looking for replacements for my junk Kelly Charger tires, I'm finding that the size, 245/60/15, is pretty rare. You can't find any performance tires of that size. All I find on some of the discount sites are Dunlop GT Qualifiers, Cooper Cobra's, Mastercraft Avengers and BFG T/A's of the 245/60/15 size...and of course a brand I'll never buy again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulCalibur
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, that link only added one brand to the list I made above...Jetzon Revenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulCalibur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
In looking for replacements for my junk Kelly Charger tires, I'm finding that the size, 245/60/15, is pretty rare. You can't find any performance tires of that size. All I find on some of the discount sites are Dunlop GT Qualifiers, Cooper Cobra's, Mastercraft Avengers and BFG T/A's of the 245/60/15 size...and of course a brand I'll never buy again...
Quote:
Well, that link only added one brand to the list I made above...Jetzon Revenger.
picky picky picky

lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

hehe

I suppose if I had the $$$, I could buy some 18" wheels and have a better selection of tires.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

well i just dropped my car off at sam's club to get this size put on and they told me they couldn't do it because they weren't the stock size. oh well i got four new BFG something or others in 215/70R15... do they not realize that there are people who intentionally put smaller tires on a vehicle to sell it faster ie used car dealerships that may or may not be stock size so they are contradicting themselves by not saying same size thats on there now or were gonna look at the sticker in your door jamb and see what size. im quite confused but i needed tires and i dont want to worry about checking the weather to see if ill have traction for the day or not.

/rant
Tyler

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

That stinks. You need to get buddy buddy with someone at a mom and pop shop. They'll try them on without being anal about it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

yeah i have plenty of people i worked at a toyota dealership a while back but they cant compete with the prices i got.

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 PM
5th Gear Poster

The 245 60 15 is indeed a rare size.

A popular tire in that size is the BF Goodrich Radial TA but they are a dated tire.

Had a 245 60 15 in the front and a 275 60 15 on the rear of my Dodge Ram.
When shopping I also learned the 245 is not too common.

Went with a Yokohama 255 front, 275 rear. Avid S/T.

Miles better than my old tires. Smooth, quiet, good dry grip and decent price.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6L 15.5 @ 88
94 LHS 3.5L 15.8 @ 88, wife's car
87 Ram 5.9L 15.0 @ 87
69 Super Bee, under construction
65 Plymouth Belvedere 225cid, wife's toy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/755303

Last edited by jfsram; 09-28-2007 at 02:17 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
I read your Tire review on the Kelly Chargers. Sounds like you might have ended up with Blems maybe???... Regardless if a tire is outta round they should simply be replaced/adjusted, unless it can be trued out and adjusted for the customer. Being a Long Time Kelly tire dealer we have had great luck with their products. I have never recieved a single complaint that I can recall. Its too bad you were not taken care of. But you never mentioned that you had made any attempt to get them adjusted either...??

Regardless to all of the above, Dunlop Qualifier & the Cooper Cobras are good choices as well, considering the size you are using.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's

Last edited by cudaz101; 09-22-2007 at 07:13 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Brad.

The story with these tires is a weird one.

I got a deal on them brand new (with install and balance) from a guy that used to post here that was local to me. They were to replace some 225's that I'd worn out. I didn't notice much problems with them at first, just an occasional rumble at certain highway speeds. Wasn't ever sure that it was the tires. This was three and a half years ago (I put less than 5K miles/year on the bird).

Sometime later, I was chasing a vibe and I had a Road Force balance done. This worked out for a while. Kind of took them back to brand new status. Also in this time frame, I had worked on the front suspension and had the car aligned a few times for different reasons. So alignment should not be an issue.

About the time of the new tires, another friend and I put in a trac-lock and we didn't get it quite right. I had a roar in the rear until I had a pro put in 3.73's with the trac-lock. So while I had a roar during the period of having the new Kelly's and also the bad setup in the rear, once I got the rearend fixed, the roar and other symptoms never really went away.

Recently, I had a local diff pro drive my car to rule out any problems with the rearend or bearings. He said that his opinion was that the tires were making the noise and maybe I needed to put new pads and rotors on the car. Front pads are fairly new but I didn't do new rotors. That's on my to-do list. When we got out of the car, he felt around my tires and said that all four have some defects that he could detect. There are uneven worn areas in odd spots. He personally knows and recommends the guy that aligned my car and said that these symptoms weren't indicative of a bad alignment job.

As far as getting work done on the tires...No, I didn't pursue that because I really wasn't aware of a tire problem until way after they would be financially serviceable. It always seemed to me that something else was going wrong with the car. And besides, I don't even know if the guy that sold me the tires is still working in the same place. I haven't had contact with him since he stopped coming here. He sold me them under the table IIRC.

I think you're right that I got a bad set. Kind of weird that all of them had some problems. How often to bad batches come out on tires? I dunno. I can't think of anything I did wrong except not drive the car every single day of the year.

I hope to rectify my tires situation soon with some 16's and some new tires. I just got a new job and my work will be a lot more consistent so that I can support the car better.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I just did a check for that size on tire rack. Where there used to be several now theres only one.

When I had the V6 97 Tbird I put Avid S/T's on it in that size. They looked great, and performed well. I think they're still on the car! (My sister has it now)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 12:51 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

I ran two sets of the GT Qualifiers. Don't let their low price fool you. Granted, they're not the stickiest tires on the planet, but I had to push the car REALLY hard before they started to complain. And they would alert you audibly to impending slip so you would know when to back out of it. This is much better than tires that just start slipping with no perceivable notice.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:36 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Brad.

The story with these tires is a weird one.

I got a deal on them brand new (with install and balance) from a guy that used to post here that was local to me. They were to replace some 225's that I'd worn out. I didn't notice much problems with them at first, just an occasional rumble at certain highway speeds. Wasn't ever sure that it was the tires. This was three and a half years ago (I put less than 5K miles/year on the bird).

Sometime later, I was chasing a vibe and I had a Road Force balance done. This worked out for a while. Kind of took them back to brand new status. Also in this time frame, I had worked on the front suspension and had the car aligned a few times for different reasons. So alignment should not be an issue.

About the time of the new tires, another friend and I put in a trac-lock and we didn't get it quite right. I had a roar in the rear until I had a pro put in 3.73's with the trac-lock. So while I had a roar during the period of having the new Kelly's and also the bad setup in the rear, once I got the rearend fixed, the roar and other symptoms never really went away.

Recently, I had a local diff pro drive my car to rule out any problems with the rearend or bearings. He said that his opinion was that the tires were making the noise and maybe I needed to put new pads and rotors on the car. Front pads are fairly new but I didn't do new rotors. That's on my to-do list. When we got out of the car, he felt around my tires and said that all four have some defects that he could detect. There are uneven worn areas in odd spots. He personally knows and recommends the guy that aligned my car and said that these symptoms weren't indicative of a bad alignment job.

As far as getting work done on the tires...No, I didn't pursue that because I really wasn't aware of a tire problem until way after they would be financially serviceable. It always seemed to me that something else was going wrong with the car. And besides, I don't even know if the guy that sold me the tires is still working in the same place. I haven't had contact with him since he stopped coming here. He sold me them under the table IIRC.

I think you're right that I got a bad set. Kind of weird that all of them had some problems. How often to bad batches come out on tires? I dunno. I can't think of anything I did wrong except not drive the car every single day of the year.

I hope to rectify my tires situation soon with some 16's and some new tires. I just got a new job and my work will be a lot more consistent so that I can support the car better.

With only 15K on a tire that is rated for 55K I don't see why they could not be adjusted. ANY Kelly tire dealer Can & SHOULD work with you to make it right regardless of where you bought them. Its not a warranty issue.

The odds of getting 4 bad builds would be slim Unless you bought tires that were kicked back for normal distribution. There should be an indication on the tire in some form to show this though. I am not really up to speed with Blem tires and ID'ing them because we have never brought any in our shop.

Lastly...I think you still have a decent case to get taken care of. Just take the time to look into it. Kelly makes a good product and is also great about taking care of build problems WHEN they arrise. BTW, Kelly does not make that specific size anymore & nor does Dunlop, so what is in stock out there is the end of production. They have the 255-60-15 being closest to what you have.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in