Firehawk Wide Ovals and Tire Fitment - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to DGFourSixLX
Firehawk Wide Ovals and Tire Fitment

Hey All,

It's been a while since I've posted here...

Anyway, Im hoping a few of you can lend some advice for the next set of (summer) tires on my Mark.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a set of Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval tires. These are going on 17x9 Cobra-R's, and I'd like to run a staggered setup with 255/45/17 in front and 285/40/17 out back.

If anyone has experience with either this tire and/or fitting a 285/40/17 on a 9" wide rim, please share it here...I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Dom

'07 Toyota FJ Cruiser

(Sold)1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Black/Black
Chrome Cobra R's, BFG Rubber, Cobra/KVR Brakes
Custom Koni front air struts, Bilstein/Addco in rear
Cobra Intake Manifold, SCT XCal by Lonnie of BOC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Sounds the same as me, just got a set of 17x9 Rs and want the Wide Ovals as my tire as well. I'm thinking about 255/45s all the way around (due to the fact that it'd be cheaper and because my current mods don't exactly warrant having such a wide tire in the rear). I know it will fit just fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these tires firsthand. Road noise, comfort, tread life, etc.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

I have a 245/45-17 set on my '98 LSC, and so far I'm quite pleased. Good traction, ride, and they're quiet.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to DGFourSixLX
Wow, I'm glad I subscribed to this. I actually ended up purchasing the exact setup I listed in that post and ran it on my '97 Mark LSC until I sold it last year.

The tires ended up being great. They handled well, rode well, exhibited little road noise, and had excellent wet-weather properties (decent grip, VERY difficult to hydroplane with these). They were exceedingly grippy on dry roads, to the point that my Mark with 3.73s, a Cobra intake manifold, true dual 2.25" exhaust, and a tune would have a hard time breaking the tires loose from a stop. Believe me, there was nothing wrong with the car. It kept up with a BMW 335i (3.0L twin-turbo) from a stoplight without a problem.

I should warn you that they did get noticeably slippery in the cooler months, say when the temperature went below 50*F, but that's pretty much expected of most performance tires.

Based on my experiences with them I would recommend them without reservation. The C-6 Corvette guys are also raving about these tires in run-flat and non-run-flat versions.

-Dom (97BLKLSC on LOD)

'07 Toyota FJ Cruiser

(Sold)1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Black/Black
Chrome Cobra R's, BFG Rubber, Cobra/KVR Brakes
Custom Koni front air struts, Bilstein/Addco in rear
Cobra Intake Manifold, SCT XCal by Lonnie of BOC
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
What about treadwear and fuel economy? I haven't found a whole lot of info about their tread life, and likewise I haven't found any info regarding how they affected fuel economy. I doubt either will affect my decision to buy them, but I'd like to have an idea before I dive in.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Poster

Firestone

i am really surprised that no one shares how much air pressure is used in their
tire choices. as i have shared before, 1 pound increments off of the mfg specs
can greatly affect handling, performance, and wear. (nascar does it in half pounds)
if this is shared, then you can give other members real advise. tire baron
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM
3rd Gear Poster

wideoval!!!!

my favorite tires overall, fantastic in the rain but not recommended in the snow but great for california weather, wish i had bought another set of them. definitely next time
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 PM
4th Gear Poster

It's considered a high performance summer tire, why would you even think it would be useable in the snow?

We are driving in the real world tire baron, not on a track. Very Very Very few people will know or be able to feel the difference of 1/2 psi or 1 psi differnce in their tires on the street. Heck, the majority of tire gauges sold aren't even accurate to 1/2psi...

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Poster

air pressure

you icarus , are like many who come in and complain that they don't get their full
mileage and for that matter don't even know how much air is in their tires when
asked. as i have said before, even the least expensive all season tire will get 40k
if maintained properly. any tire will lose 1 pound per month, any tire will change 1
pound for every 10 degrees of air temp change, 5 lbs below the minimum, 25 percent of your tire mileage goes out the window. don't check them, you are right, most people would not know the difference because they haven't realized
that tires top potential. do you bother to check your oil? would you ***** to ford
if your motor siezed up? you my friend are dead wrong. try my shoe polish trick if
you doubt my word, you will be surprized. tire baron
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Can we keep this thread clean of flame wars please? Yes tire pressure is important, but if you want to discuss it or deck it out start another thread on it.

Advice about the Firehawk Wide Ovals please. Nothing more, nothing less.

-Brandon

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 AM
4th Gear Poster

I'm not trying to start a flame war, just to say that his info is unnecessary to do so to that extreme...

I do check my pressures quite often, thank you, and would never complain about the mileage I get from a set of tires as I know it will will be decent the way I drive and the way I maintain them (unless I burned a set off, which I've done too )
I do agree that proper maintence (checking) of the tires/pressures is key to how long they last though and alot of people neglect that, but to say I'm one of those people, based off my comment is absurd, go back to your store and pawn your crap off somewhere else. Do you know my background with tires??
Also, you never addressed the gauge issue I mentioned. Most gauges are not accurate within 1-2psi at all unless you get up into $75++ gauges that the average joe doesn't use, and even then it's maybe .5-1psi accurate. Race teams have their gauges calibrated on a regular basis.

Basically the lil Baron here and I are agreeing on the same thing, but to different extremes. Check your tires (esp pressures) regularly and your tires should last...

The Wide Oval tires are a nice sticky tire in the dry, good on wet, and very very poor even on the slightest bit of snow (it's a performance summer tire as I mentioned.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRE BARON View Post
you icarus , are like many who come in and complain that they don't get their full
mileage and for that matter don't even know how much air is in their tires when
asked. as i have said before, even the least expensive all season tire will get 40k
if maintained properly. any tire will lose 1 pound per month, any tire will change 1
pound for every 10 degrees of air temp change, 5 lbs below the minimum, 25 percent of your tire mileage goes out the window. don't check them, you are right, most people would not know the difference because they haven't realized
that tires top potential. do you bother to check your oil? would you ***** to ford
if your motor siezed up? you my friend are dead wrong. try my shoe polish trick if
you doubt my word, you will be surprized. tire baron

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC

Last edited by Icarus; 03-07-2010 at 11:03 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Poster

air guage

i totally agree with you aboutair guages, they are worth what you pay for them.
small tip for what it is worth....check your guage occasionally with a good one at
yourfavorite tire store...if you are off a couple lbs., then use that as a base, you will still get the same results. tire baron
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Slightly off topic but does anyone know about when these tires first hit the market?

-Brandon

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Poster

firehawk wide oval

somewhere about 3 years ago, it was the replacement for the sz50 which is
still made in the runflat version for corvette etc. i would class that tire close to
the bridgestone re050a as b/s is the parent company and technology is shared.
i don't see any 305 cross-section tires in the current catalog so again i would check the dot #'s for age. i think this tire is an above average tire for dry use.
one thing to remember about uhp tires: when mounting inflat to maximum pressure then let all of the air out to relax then air to desired pressure.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Slightly off topic but does anyone know about when these tires first hit the market?
~ April 2005

1990 White SC 5-speed - Wanna race the 1/2 mile?
2008 Shootout Highest HP M90
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Awesome, thanks guys. There are some lightly used on ebay that I can get a deal on, but the seller hasn't replied as to the DOT code yet.

-Brandon

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

Yes, the replacement for the SZ-50 which I used to run on my Merc. It was a great summer tire too, though a bit fast wearing.
I think the Wide Ovals last a bit longer though I replaced mine with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's at about half tread, as they are amazing in the rain and great on the dry. I couldn't pass on a deal I was offered.

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in