am i the only one.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

am i the only one....

does anyone here use 16" aftermarket wheels?....most people with 15's and 16's have the stock alloys....other than that ive seen alot of 17's and above....reason i ask is because i just bought my 16' tires with my sport wheels no to long ago...but i wanted a different design while retaining my tires....(plus, i had to sacrafice the added money for 17's to pay for my tune)....so ill be sporting 225/60/16 tires on these....

they are 16x7's....and they will be on my car tuesday....i went with the silver finish....les schwab is giving me a great deal on them.....so, was it an incredibly dumb move going with 16x7?....not to sure how its gonna look with my current tire.....well, ill know tuesday.

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit

Last edited by strung; 03-08-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Veteran Poster

I like 'em, actually. I'm a big fan of five-spokes, and those're very clean wheels. Not too much going on, and I say that in a good way.

I think the reason most people here go for 17" is because that's the common size for Cobra wheels, which seem to be the big trend around here. I can see why, though, 'cause they look pretty nice on a Bird. Only thing I like better is Bullitts (now for finding 17" Bullitts, because 18s are a little big for my taste).

Additionally, I think you need at least 17" to do the big brakes mod.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Here's a cheap set of polished 16-inch rims. $100. i talked to the guy and they are 5x4.24 and cam off of a 96 tbird. Don't know if he'll ship or not though. http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/594280490.html

\,,/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

gotta love the bullits alicks....i wanted thoes more than my ones pictured above....but they were alot more money than my five spokes....even in a 16.....les schwab is giving me a trade in on my sport wheels....the bill came to 330 bucks out the door for the ultras. (with lugs,stem, balance...ect)....thanks for the comments.

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Yup, you're the only one.

Actually I like those rims, like alicks said, they're clean. No, I don't think that was a dumb move. You got a good deal on them and also saved money on the tires. As long as you're happy with them.

I've got a set of 18 x 9's sitting in my garage right now that I can't afford to put tires on, but they'll look great when I do get around to putting them on the car.

Be sure to post some pictures when you do get them on the car.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

^well do.

pimp'n aint easy

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
part of the reason i went with 17's was mainly for the big brakes in the future and so i could use wider lower profile tires without looking like a lowrider.

-Matt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
I like em, big fan of the 5 star rims. Nothing wrong with 16's as long as you like it. +3 for guys mainly getting 17's or 18's just so they can have the bigger brakes. If you ever decide to upgrade the brakes you can always do the Mustang GT PBR's.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I've got a set of 18 x 9's sitting in my garage right now that I can't afford to put tires on, but they'll look great when I do get around to putting them on the car.
That's two of us.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:27 AM
The Parts Guy

Nothing wrong with that. I actually run a set of 15x7" aftermarket wheels on my 94.

Those wheels came on one of my parts cars.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
Nothing wrong with that. I actually run a set of 15x7" aftermarket wheels on my 94
-Rod
+1
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Voice/Data Guru

15x7 here as well [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

whooohooo!....im not alone...lol....man, im really starting to actually like the look of smaller wheels and more tire.....they dont look as sleek as the 17's and 18's with low profiles, but i think they look more tough....such as jnk's black bird posted above...kinda reminds me of a nascar, with the larger profile tires and white lettering.....thanks for the pics all, im already feeling better about my buy.

pimp'n aint easy

Last edited by strung; 03-09-2008 at 12:58 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I think your taking a step back going with the 16" wheels you picked out. The 16" sport and sc wheels were made to go with the look of a thunderbird, and do a great job setting the car off. All the pictures I see of after market 15" and 16" just look cheap.

If you are going to upgrade wheels, just wait a few more months and go with something your going ot be happy with. You can tell when someone actually likes your car and choice of wheels, and all your going to be getting is sympathy compliments.

I'm not downing your car, but don't take a step backward just because you don't have the money right now. Save towards the wheels you really want, all it takes is a few more weeks/months. This goes for any part your looking to upgrade.

If you research the guys on this website with the great looking/fast cars, you'll see none of them just grab the first item that will fit in their budget. They find what they want, the equipment that is going to give them the look, or the performance they want....and they work towards that. Some of them have the money to do it right then, some of them have to save a while, but they never settle.

Don't settle, your car will suffer.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

hell i am even going 17 on the 69 !!

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in