17x8 95 mustang gt premium wheels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

17x8 95 mustang gt premium wheels

I have the 6 spoke fan blade 17x8s done up in black to look like 93 Cobra R wheels. Does anyone know if this size with a 245/50/17 tire will fit on a mark viii without spindle interference/brake interference with a set of 13 inch pbr calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 PM
PostWhore

Have you or are yo ding a hub swap? The Mark VIII's use a 5x4.25 bolt pattern as opposed to the Mustang's 5x4.5

If you have or will be doing a hub swap the 245/50/17 should be fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

yeah, I'm doing the hub swap. Is there enough offset/backspacing in those wheels to clear the cobra calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

i just finished ordering all my parts, and im starting to get scared, the backspacing on my tri-blades is 6 inches on a 17x8 stock wheel, and I was just reading about a guy that had 6.1 inch backspacing and is having spindle clearance issues. I did a search, and haven't found anything conclusive. Can anyone confirm or deny that these wheels will fit my car without problems? im planning 245/50/17s up front and 255/50/17s in the rear
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 AM
JPT
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningvic View Post
i just finished ordering all my parts, and im starting to get scared, the backspacing on my tri-blades is 6 inches on a 17x8 stock wheel, and I was just reading about a guy that had 6.1 inch backspacing and is having spindle clearance issues. I did a search, and haven't found anything conclusive. Can anyone confirm or deny that these wheels will fit my car without problems? im planning 245/50/17s up front and 255/50/17s in the rear
I assume you are talking about my post regarding my problems with the 16 inch rims? The offset was +43 with 6.1 backspacing. This is what I learned thru this ordeal, the larger the rim, the less effect the offset has on the suspention. I have a front end problem, that I am working thru ( alignment & ?) If I can help here I surely will. Mount up the front tires on the rims and see if you can borrow someones bird with the correct bolt pattern to do a test fit. I will find some pics and post this weekend, JPT.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I've got 17x9 cobra wheels on my car with 4mm milled off of the mounting surface to increase the backspacing. If I do my math right, I do believe that the wheels on my car have a 6.3" backspace after the 4mm was removed. They have 6.12 backspacing stock which is about a 28mm offset. After being machined this would bring it to a 32mm offset for a 17x9 wheel.

1997 Thunderbird LX

Pearl white paint, Cobra R hood, 10th anniv. Cobra wheels, Cobra brake conversion, Lowered 1 1/2" with tokiko springs and shocks, Custom Reinhart chip, MAC cold air intake, Lightning Mass Air Meter, Jmod on trans.
More to come...............
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 AM
JPT
1st Gear Poster

What did it cost to have the 4 mm milled off your rims? I may be doing the same to my 20 inch Foose rims or the Hubs, JPT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
I've got 17x9 cobra wheels on my car with 4mm milled off of the mounting surface to increase the backspacing. If I do my math right, I do believe that the wheels on my car have a 6.3" backspace after the 4mm was removed. They have 6.12 backspacing stock which is about a 28mm offset. After being machined this would bring it to a 32mm offset for a 17x9 wheel.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear Poster

One of the previous owners had it done. I think he said he paid $100 a wheel to do it, but he got ripped off royally. I would say that if you took your wheels to a good machine shop, they could probably mill it off for $20 or $30 a wheel.

1997 Thunderbird LX

Pearl white paint, Cobra R hood, 10th anniv. Cobra wheels, Cobra brake conversion, Lowered 1 1/2" with tokiko springs and shocks, Custom Reinhart chip, MAC cold air intake, Lightning Mass Air Meter, Jmod on trans.
More to come...............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in