Finally, I have 18" rims - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Finally, I have 18" rims

I've always wanted nice wheels on a car but I could never afford them. Thanks to my girlfriend who actually has credit and my birthday I finally have a set. I wasn't expecting to find great looking cheap rims at Sears especially not 18's. The 17's were $109 each and the 18's were 119 so I had to go with the bigger size. The tires aren't what I was hoping for at the price they cost us but they sure are quiet. Now I just need to lower the car a little and get it painted and then focus on power!

-Randy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 AM
5th Gear Poster

Once it's lowered, should look real pimp!!! good deals always are great.

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Those go well with the crome wheel well trim.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

thats a beautiful cougar what trim package is that, what is the badge say next to the cougar emblem on the quarter window
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 cougar xr7 View Post
thats a beautiful cougar what trim package is that, what is the badge say next to the cougar emblem on the quarter window

I bet it it says Night Cat. Thats what Night Cat edeition looks like that I've seen in person.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
That looks really nice!

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks, and it just says Cougar on the quarter panel. I've never heard of the Night Cat package but I haven't compared my VIN to any dealership option packages information I didn't know even existed until recently. The only thing I know is that in Texas most Cougars from 93-95, (and maybe 96-97 too,) had a vinyl top, chrome accents, and a 2 tone paint scheme. I've even seen a few T-Birds with vinyl tops. If I see a Cougar without a vinyl top it was usually from out of the state.

In South Dakota my first tan Cougar was pretty much the only one that had a brown top. Here on the east coast I barely see any MN-12's and none have a vinyl top. My 95 Cougar now is the only one that I've seen that had the same basic color for the paint and top. My long gone tan Cougar had chrome panels on the doors and side too but my current one doesn't have those. This one has a moon roof and Traction Assist/VCM too.

I was amazed to see rear disc brakes weeks after buying the car as I was walking back to the car from McDonalds. Then I realized that I must have ABS too. I didn't even know Cougars ever had rear disc brakes before the 1996-1997 model or the latest model. Then again I didn't even know when I bought my first 93 Cougar in 2001 that the MN-12's had V-8's until I noticed dual pipes on the other MN-12s in the area especially the Mark VIII's which have always been my fav model since I first saw it in 94. I was kicking myself for buying the first one I saw in the first dealership I went to after getting back from Korea. I could've had a 5.0. :-(

(My ultimate goal is to have an entire collection of MN-12's and I would also like some with the fox body and a 2000 or 2001 Cougar. The newest T-Bird is something I would only get if I had some money burning a hole in my pocket.) With the rims being the only real noticable exterior mod that I've done so far I'm surprised at how the car has really come together. Then again I had to pull all of my tint off recently in order to pass inspection but I'll put some legal tint on soon when I have the time and money on a calm day. I'm always getting nods and compliments on it now even without the tint. But what the car really needs soon is some new paint.

-Randy-
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Poster

got a question with upping the size on the rims wont you have to switch to a larger router to keep dpwn the heat friction?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIK View Post
got a question with upping the size on the rims wont you have to switch to a larger router to keep down the heat friction?
Just changing the rim size doesn't automatically require an upgrade in rotor size. By changing rim size you're allowing yourself more room to increase the rotor size to something larger than stock.

The type of modifications that "require" an increase in rotor size are things that dramatically increase your horsepower like a PI swap (and even this one is an optional rotor upgrade), adding a supercharger, or using the car for road course or other racing activities, etc.

Of course it's always at your discretion to optionally upgrade the brakes and rotors after switching to a larger rim size; based on how deep your pockets are - brake upgrades aren't cheap - and of course the larger brakes and rotors look great under larger rims.

There are a couple of different ways to look at the need for a rotor upgrade. I'm sure someone else will chime in with their ideas about rotor upgrades.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I didn't realize that my rotors were all that small until after getting these rims. Now I can't wait to put some that are at least 10" on and cross-drilled with powdercoated calipers added.

-Randy-
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:51 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
I didn't realize that my rotors were all that small until after getting these rims. Now I can't wait to put some that are at least 10" on and cross-drilled with powdercoated calipers added.
i beleive that your car came with 10.8 rotors, i could be wrong though... i wish i had the dough to get bigger brakes, it would definately help as my 18's are super heavy..i wish i had gotten alloy rims instead cause my rotors are warped to hell and the steering wheel shakes like an SOB under heavy braking, i.e. coming down from 70 mph quickly. i've grown used to it though.getting 3.73 trac-lok was more important lol...

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

IDK I thought they were closer to 8.5" but the mod for 11", (or whatever it is), is what I was thinking of doing someday soon.

-Randy-
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulCalibur
[QUOTE=V8ThunderCat;1102244]I've always wanted nice wheels on a car but I could never afford them. Thanks to my girlfriend who actually has credit and my birthday I finally have a set. I wasn't expecting to find great looking cheap rims at Sears especially not 18's. The 17's were $109 each and the 18's were 119 so I had to go with the bigger size. The tires aren't what I was hoping for at the price they cost us but they sure are quiet. Now I just need to lower the car a little and get it painted and then focus on power!

LOL...you did the same thing that I did. The GF has the credit. so she hooked me up.
( I'll have pics up soon.... ) I went 225 / 45 17 on my bird. Hell, tire rack has some kick ass wheels for cheap.

Yer car looks nice.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulCalibur
There are a couple of different ways to look at the need for a rotor upgrade. I'm sure someone else will chime in with their ideas about rotor upgrades.[/QUOTE]

Yea, stay away from Ebay. Crappy rotors and PITA to install.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thank you, SoulCalibur! I think I was pretty much going to stick with what is in the Tech Articles about putting in Cobra rotors. I haven't been researching into that for awhile since I'm sure my brakes are fine the way they are. They just look tiny compared to the other cars I see around here. I was also considering PBRs but I haven't bothered to see if they are worth it or if they are required with the rotor upgrade.

-Randy-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in